“Nice Room - but - Weak Security Makes for Noisy Night” 2 of 5 stars

Book Direct & Save!
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lansing, MI
“Nice Room - but - Weak Security Makes for Noisy Night”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

We stayed last night just for fun. The gambling was fun, the rooms are very cool and very clean. (Even thought the bathroom door lock was broken.)

However, about 2AM we were both woken up by a drunk guy screaming his head off in the hallway. I fully understand that this will happen and is not fault of the hotel. Unfortunately, he continued to scream profanities at the top of his lungs, kicking the door next to ours and making threats. Every time we called the front desk they simply answered, "Security's on their way." Even when I told them that the guy got in the room and we could hear it getting violent. It doesn't take more than 10 minutes to get to the 24th floor.

After a while, we heard security knocking on their door. Security, however, did not enter the room. A couple of women stood outside, knocked a lot, and politely asked the man to come out. We were wide awake from about 2:00am to to 3:30 and I had to be up at 6. It was a terrible night and I'm ridiculously exhausted today.

I know it's all chance whether or not there will be an incident with another guest, but when you're staying at a casino there are a lot of drunks. Having an effective security staff would make all the difference in the world. Unfortunately, that's not the case and we will not be back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Farmington Hills, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

My soon to be wife and I stayed at the hotel last October and had a horrible visit as it was either the hotel club or a club near the hotel had very loud music and I kid you not could not sleep until 4am because the base of the music was so loud.

I posted about our visit and was contacted by greektown for a free night which was very nice of them. So we stayed last night because we went to the lions patirots game and wanted to have good time and just stay downtown.

Everything was going fine until about 8ish. We were laying in bed just got done with dinner and we were relaxing watching TV before going down to gamble and in our room the fire alarm went off. We see people heading to the stairs so we followed. We were on the 30th floor and had to go down 30 flights of stairs, both of us with our asthma breathing machines.

We get all the way down to the bottom and us along with everyone else who just did this little trip were told that it was a false alarm. Now dont get me wrong very thankful that it was a false alarm, but you would have thought that they would have announced that and not just tell people as they were running out of the stair exit.

Now what really bothers me about this whole thing is not that there was a false alarm, but that not so much as a courtsey phone call to make sure we were ok or anyone else for that matter, as I dont know about you but I sure dont take 30 flights of stairs on a daily basis. Thighs and calves are very sore. And to top that off, when we checked out this morning not so much of a mention of this inconvience, like the hotel didnt want to have fork anything out of their pockets willingly and probably would have done something had I said something which I may call Monday, but we were already staying for free for the first bad time we had there.

I am not one of those that complian to get something for free and like I said everything was going fine until the alarm went off and I am blessed there was nothing serious, but the hotel could have done a lot more to make sure people were okay and at least appologize at checkout and not try to act like nothing happened.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
MikePGS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

When Greektown Hotel first opened, My fiance' and I stayed there and had a bad experience. A year or so after wards one of the assistant managers at the hotel, Mr Robinson sent us a complimentary stay as a direct result of reading my review. We took him up on his offer and are very glad that we did. The first time we went we didn't get the room we had asked (there were a lot of problems on the opening nights) so ended up with a double. The second time we went, we were given a corner King luxury suite. The room was absolutely beautiful. There was a large couch, two plasma tvs (one in the sitting area, one in the bedroom) and an enormous shower and bathtub. Not only was the room amazing but the views from the 21st story were excellent. We could see the Detroit River lit up at night (and a ferryboat on it similarly lit up) and many of Detroit's landmarks. Not only was the room great but the service was vastly improved from the previous stay. Right outside the hotel was a lively sports bar, and across the street was a liquor store that was open late. There was a crowd on the street and just being able to experience the city from ground level was a great experience in itself.
We had originally wanted to stay there every year on Valentine's day but were put off by our first stay. After the second stay we are back to wanting to stay here yearly. Compliments to Mr Robinson for giving us a chance to reevaluate the hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

We stayed 3 nights. While we didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel, but the time we spent there was awesome. The king size room was large but not too roomy. It basicly had room for the bed, but you really dont need much more than that anyways.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

The hotel lobby and rooms are very nicely decorated, but the moment you head upstairs you can smell the thick scent of cigarette smoke. On the hotels website they claim to be "Smoke-free" which is BS. I am 5 months pregnant and tried to have a nice dinner at the hotel restaurant and when we walked through the halls people were smoking away! I am terribly disapointed and will never stay here again. They need to pull the "non-smoking" environment they claim from their website because it is one giant lie!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2010
CasinoHotel, Manager at Greektown Casino Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Good morning Travelingpro,

We are 100% smoke free not only by choice but also by law. Unfortunately, occasionally some people choose not to abide by the laws and smoke anyway. We try and control this best we can with signage in the hallways and in the guest rooms along with security on site 24/7 patrolling the hallways. If we find evidence of smoking we do charge the guest room in question a hefty $500 fine. We take smoking very seriously and forbid anyone to do so in our hotel property. So when we claim we are smoke free, this is not a lie.

Regards,

Ken Lanigan
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

One of the best places I have ever stayed, fantastic rates, super clean.. Greektown casino is sort of ratty, but the hotel is top notch first class... Tip, take the elevated walkway especially at night.. It was safe but a lot of beggars due to casino location... You can also use your perks at area eateries.. To me this is the biggest reason I go to greektown..

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Plainwell, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

This was my first visit to Greektown, and my first mini-vaca with my boyfriend. We stayed at Greektown for one Saturday night and loved it. We got the most-basic King Deluxe room. It was not very big, but what it lacked in size, it made up for in style! Very modern, beautiful furnishings and everything was convenient. We especially LOVED the super-soft, comfortable pillow-top bed and the 2 person walk-in shower. The wood doors, with frosted glass leading into the bath is a nice touch! ALL of the staff were extremely helpful & friendly! We enjoyed the front desk, security, housekeeping, ID checkers and wait staff - always friendly, joking & in a good mood. We stayed on the 28th floor, with a beautiful view. Thanks for a great time, Greektown - We plan to now visit every year and stay in the same room!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Greektown Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!