“Well Done And Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Greektown Casino Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   555 East Lafayette Ave, Detroit, MI 48226   |
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Elizabethtown, KY
“Well Done And Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My family and I stayed at Greektown Casino Hotel on 12/26/2012 to attend the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl. I chose Greektown because of the convenient location and nearby parking garage. One of my main goals on any hotel stay is to park my car and not get back in until I leave said destination. No worries about that here. Many food and entertainment options within walking distance. Very nice casino, didn't get soaked! Anytime you can gamble a few hours and not take too big of a loss is a definite plus to me! Very comfortable beds. Excellent view of downtown Detroit, the Detroit River, and Canada. Excellent quality of television. Small, but very clean, bathrooms. Would definitely welcome a trip back.....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Caryn N, Manager at Greektown Casino Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with everyone. We are glad we could make your Detroit trek better than expected and hope that our hotel will entice you to the city more often! We are very proud of our team members and their unparalleled service as they are what makes Greektown Casino - Hotel the place to stay and we are excited that you agree. Hope to see you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Selected this hotel based on price and was not disappointed in what was provided. Staff were friendly and check in & out process was handled efficiently.

Rooms were on the small side, with modern furnishings and beds were comfortable. Floor to ceiling windows provided a great view of downtown Detroit. However, noise from neighbouring rooms could be easily heard. Free wi-fi provided in room which was great.

Hotel is located in Greektown which provides easy access to many food options should you decide not to eat at the hotel/casino. Hotel is also connected to the People Mover providing easy access to other areas of the city.

Overall, had a very comfortable stay at the hotel and would recommend this to other fellow travellers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
We are excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Greektown Casino - Hotel. As you mentioned in your review, we are very proud to offer excellent service, a great location and unique dining outlets. We hope that you will return to Greektown on your next visit to Detroit.
Coldwater, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a getaway and to see Jeff Dunham at Joe Louis Arena. I was blown away by the service and friendliness of the staff. The hotel boasts some nice restaurants and plenty of access to other eateries in the area. The breakfast buffet at the hotel was great, with many options available. Once parked in the garage, conveniently located right off I-375 and I-75, we didn't have to leave the property until going to the "Joe". We were able to catch the Detroit People Mover right from the casino to the show. My only complaint is that there was no pool on the premises, but knowing that coming in it wasn't a surprise. I will be booking another trip when the Tigers play.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Caryn N, Manager at Greektown Casino Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Plymouth, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have stayed at Greektown 3 times during the last 6 months. It is our favorite place to stay downtown since it is walking distance to Tiger Stadium and Ford Field. It is also surrounded by different restaurants and bars, which makes it very nice. The rooms are very nice and up to date offering a good view of the city. We got the corner suite once and the room was a lot larger and offered wrap around windows. One advantage about staying here is that they offer free parking. Many of the surrounding hotels make you pay to park.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We appreciate that you took the time to provide us with a review about your experiences. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Corner Room as they really do offer amazing views of the city. Thank you for your continued patronage, we look forward to providing you with more wonderful experiences in the future!
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed here a single night for a business meeting. The rooms are well configured, clean and comfortable, with nice bathrooms. Good location. I stayed on the 16th floor facing the strip – based on my experience consider choosing a room that isn’t in the path of the big klieg lights that illuminate the building, because the light seeps in even around the room darkening shade.

Conference rooms were decent and comfortable. The folks in the lobby and at check in were pleasant and helpful. But the casino “scene” does flavor the hotel – some noise and cigarette smell, and then the guards who stand by the elevators to the guest rooms asking to see hotel room keys. It’s the right approach from a safety standpoint, I assume, but reminded me I didn’t want anything to do with the casino

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Caryn N, Manager at Greektown Casino Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are happy that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and hope we are able to host you agin in the future. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others looking to have a great time in the D!
Rochester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here in November for a Lions game, and it was great! Bed was really comfortable, shower was awesome, everything was clean, and if we go back we’d definitely stay here again.
We didn’t arrive until about 10pm, and my gps brought me right to the parking garage off the expressway. One complaint I’d have, and I’m surprised no one else mentioned it, was the circular parking garage. You literally go around and around in a circle until you can park. I had never been in a garage that was a circle like that before. I was honestly getting dizzy by the time I got to a level we could park, and I think we were on level 7. I’m not sure how much higher I could have gone. Might be a reason to use the valet if that’s an issue for you.
Check in was a breeze. It was pretty late, but there was no line. She asked if we’d prefer a higher or lower floor, and there wasn’t much left, but we got a room on the 15th floor. We wanted to be as high as we could. Our room actually looked out on the Greektown strip which I didn’t really understand before we went. There is a strip right outside of the hotel that has an entrance to the Greektown casino, and many restaurants. We didn’t even walk too far down because we were really hungry, but we found Pizza Papalis, which was awesome and I highly recommend! Pizza was awesome! And we were happy it was open for dinner at almost 11pm on Saturday night. There was also Planka Café, a Five Guys, and several other restaurants within view. Hard Rock was down that same strip, but down a little ways.
It would pretty accurate to say I have a bed bug phobia, and I checked everything when we got in the room, and it checked out great. The mattress, sheets and bedding were white, and the head board was pretty much attached to the wall. I felt it would be easy to see if there were any bed bug issues and there were not. I checked the chair by the window, the desk chair, and chair in front of the bed, and all looked good. I was relieved at that point!
The room was smaller than I thought it would be. The pictures I saw on here were accurate, but the room was just set up differently than I thought from the pictures. Think of a studio apartment. It was fine. Just smaller than I expected. The floor to ceiling windows were great. Unfortunately Sunday morning was all fog, but Monday morning we got to enjoy the view.
Only negatives would be that the safe was really high in the closet. I could not see the back of it from the floor. It fit all of my stuff though. The hair dryer also wasn’t really hot, but it’s such a pain to bring your own, I’d probably use it again if we went back. And the fridge in the room is full of drinks they will charge you for. It would have been nice to have space in it to put our leftovers, but there is not room for anything in it. Also, there was a party going on in the room next to ours on our first night. It had really loud music, and people were really loud. If we hadn't been so exhausted we probably would have called the front desk, but we both just kept getting woken up at different times of the night. It went ALL night, too. Not really the hotel's fault, but I was surprised no one else complained. It was noisy! Next night was fine though.
It was maybe a 10 minute walk to Ford Field, and that was perfect for us. The hotel is outside of a jail or a police station or something, but I thought security was good. You needed a room key to have the elevators go up to the room floors, and when it was busy on Saturday night, they had a security guard checking keys before you entered the elevator area.
Again, I loved the bed! After the game (the Lions lost) we went back to the room exhausted and depressed. We intended to take a short nap, but we spent more time there than planned partly because of the great bed! We went to Pizza Papalis again because we liked it so much the first night.
We didn’t even have a chance to get to the casino, but we had $10 of free play each for each night. If we go back, I’d like to stay longer. Two days wasn’t enough. And if you have a car, there is tons of great shipping around, so don’t worry about getting bored. And if you like the Lions, do the Ford Field tour M-F at 11and 1. It’s $7 a person, and a great time!
Hopefully we’ll get to another Lions game in the next few years, and we’d definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay with us. We are pleased that we were able to provide you with an excellent experience. Greektown Casino Hotel prides itself on having the best location, entertainment, and service in the city. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I have stayed several times at Greektown hotel now. I previously had negative things to say, that have changed. First, reception has warmed up to where they are starting to show a personality. Not the why are you bothering me type previously reviewed. The rest of the people I came in contact with, valet, bell captain, maids were more than helpful. Rooms are clean, no issues there. Only reason why they are a 3 (no 3 ½) not a four are the petty rules, like 100.00 deposit could be on hold for a week, really? On a credit card why?, no coolers or alcohol to be brought on to site? Why is that any of GT business? Touch anything in the bar fridge and you will be charged even if you put it back? Why? Why all the nickel and diming? I just leave the bar fringe closed. No problem the rest is just petty BS. The free breakfast buffet is very good, if you are a breakfast fan, it is worth the 12 bucks without the free coupon. The sports bar on the first floor still reeks of grease, like the fryer hood is vented into the bar. Otherwise this would be a good experience. Overall, worth the price of admission, they just need to tweak this a bit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Caryn N, Manager at Greektown Casino Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to review our property and share your experience with others looking to stay in Detroit. Greektown Casino Hotel prides itself on providing excellent guest service and we hope to share more great experiences with you in the future. We appreciate that you feel we are improving as we strive for excellence and will continue to use all feedback to provide outstanding service to our guests. I apologize about the frustration with the deposit as this is a necessary industry standard to ensure all charges to the room are able to be covered. If the deposit is given on a credit card we release it, minus any additional charges, at check out. It is then up to your bank as to how long it takes to release the funds back into your account for use. The typical time frame is 3-5 business days. If the deposit is placed in cash it is returned, minus any additional charges, at check out. Unfortunately we can not allow outside alcohol to the room as we are required by law to practice safe alcohol service, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Our mini bar is for your beverage and snacking convenience and all items are listed including price on the front of the mini bar. It is weight censored for proper billing purposes however you may always request it be locked if you prefer. We hope this has been helpful and look forward to hosting you again soon!

Been to Greektown Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!