“Stayed here for a Lions game” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
24 Hour Package!
Ranked #5 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Rochester, NY
“Stayed here for a Lions game”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here in November for a Lions game, and it was great! Bed was really comfortable, shower was awesome, everything was clean, and if we go back we’d definitely stay here again.
We didn’t arrive until about 10pm, and my gps brought me right to the parking garage off the expressway. One complaint I’d have, and I’m surprised no one else mentioned it, was the circular parking garage. You literally go around and around in a circle until you can park. I had never been in a garage that was a circle like that before. I was honestly getting dizzy by the time I got to a level we could park, and I think we were on level 7. I’m not sure how much higher I could have gone. Might be a reason to use the valet if that’s an issue for you.
Check in was a breeze. It was pretty late, but there was no line. She asked if we’d prefer a higher or lower floor, and there wasn’t much left, but we got a room on the 15th floor. We wanted to be as high as we could. Our room actually looked out on the Greektown strip which I didn’t really understand before we went. There is a strip right outside of the hotel that has an entrance to the Greektown casino, and many restaurants. We didn’t even walk too far down because we were really hungry, but we found Pizza Papalis, which was awesome and I highly recommend! Pizza was awesome! And we were happy it was open for dinner at almost 11pm on Saturday night. There was also Planka Café, a Five Guys, and several other restaurants within view. Hard Rock was down that same strip, but down a little ways.
It would pretty accurate to say I have a bed bug phobia, and I checked everything when we got in the room, and it checked out great. The mattress, sheets and bedding were white, and the head board was pretty much attached to the wall. I felt it would be easy to see if there were any bed bug issues and there were not. I checked the chair by the window, the desk chair, and chair in front of the bed, and all looked good. I was relieved at that point!
The room was smaller than I thought it would be. The pictures I saw on here were accurate, but the room was just set up differently than I thought from the pictures. Think of a studio apartment. It was fine. Just smaller than I expected. The floor to ceiling windows were great. Unfortunately Sunday morning was all fog, but Monday morning we got to enjoy the view.
Only negatives would be that the safe was really high in the closet. I could not see the back of it from the floor. It fit all of my stuff though. The hair dryer also wasn’t really hot, but it’s such a pain to bring your own, I’d probably use it again if we went back. And the fridge in the room is full of drinks they will charge you for. It would have been nice to have space in it to put our leftovers, but there is not room for anything in it. Also, there was a party going on in the room next to ours on our first night. It had really loud music, and people were really loud. If we hadn't been so exhausted we probably would have called the front desk, but we both just kept getting woken up at different times of the night. It went ALL night, too. Not really the hotel's fault, but I was surprised no one else complained. It was noisy! Next night was fine though.
It was maybe a 10 minute walk to Ford Field, and that was perfect for us. The hotel is outside of a jail or a police station or something, but I thought security was good. You needed a room key to have the elevators go up to the room floors, and when it was busy on Saturday night, they had a security guard checking keys before you entered the elevator area.
Again, I loved the bed! After the game (the Lions lost) we went back to the room exhausted and depressed. We intended to take a short nap, but we spent more time there than planned partly because of the great bed! We went to Pizza Papalis again because we liked it so much the first night.
We didn’t even have a chance to get to the casino, but we had $10 of free play each for each night. If we go back, I’d like to stay longer. Two days wasn’t enough. And if you have a car, there is tons of great shipping around, so don’t worry about getting bored. And if you like the Lions, do the Ford Field tour M-F at 11and 1. It’s $7 a person, and a great time!
Hopefully we’ll get to another Lions game in the next few years, and we’d definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Caryn N, Manager at Greektown Casino Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay with us. We are pleased that we were able to provide you with an excellent experience. Greektown Casino Hotel prides itself on having the best location, entertainment, and service in the city. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I have stayed several times at Greektown hotel now. I previously had negative things to say, that have changed. First, reception has warmed up to where they are starting to show a personality. Not the why are you bothering me type previously reviewed. The rest of the people I came in contact with, valet, bell captain, maids were more than helpful. Rooms are clean, no issues there. Only reason why they are a 3 (no 3 ½) not a four are the petty rules, like 100.00 deposit could be on hold for a week, really? On a credit card why?, no coolers or alcohol to be brought on to site? Why is that any of GT business? Touch anything in the bar fridge and you will be charged even if you put it back? Why? Why all the nickel and diming? I just leave the bar fringe closed. No problem the rest is just petty BS. The free breakfast buffet is very good, if you are a breakfast fan, it is worth the 12 bucks without the free coupon. The sports bar on the first floor still reeks of grease, like the fryer hood is vented into the bar. Otherwise this would be a good experience. Overall, worth the price of admission, they just need to tweak this a bit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Caryn N, Manager at Greektown Casino Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to review our property and share your experience with others looking to stay in Detroit. Greektown Casino Hotel prides itself on providing excellent guest service and we hope to share more great experiences with you in the future. We appreciate that you feel we are improving as we strive for excellence and will continue to use all feedback to provide outstanding service to our guests. I apologize about the frustration with the deposit as this is a necessary industry standard to ensure all charges to the room are able to be covered. If the deposit is given on a credit card we release it, minus any additional charges, at check out. It is then up to your bank as to how long it takes to release the funds back into your account for use. The typical time frame is 3-5 business days. If the deposit is placed in cash it is returned, minus any additional charges, at check out. Unfortunately we can not allow outside alcohol to the room as we are required by law to practice safe alcohol service, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Our mini bar is for your beverage and snacking convenience and all items are listed including price on the front of the mini bar. It is weight censored for proper billing purposes however you may always request it be locked if you prefer. We hope this has been helpful and look forward to hosting you again soon!
Southfield, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My room and my sleep was comfortable. Clean and modern with a great view of the city from the Corner King Room. The entire staff was accommodating and very professional. I'm a stickler for service and cleanliness when I spend my money so if there were any deficits in these two areas, I'd be the first to say! Great stay for the $$

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Caryn N, Manager at Greektown Casino Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay, and thank you for such a positive review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to providing you with another great experience soon!
Brampton, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I'll start with the positives, the location was great. Tons of restaurants and bars within walking distance and a lively nightlife. The rooms were clean, the bed was comfortable, but for a newer facility in a city where space isn't exactly at a premium, you would expect a larger room. The washroom was cramped. Free valet parking!

Now the negatives. They have so many rules it's not even funny here. Coolers aren't allowed (which I knew going in). You can't bring your own alcohol into your room, but feel free to buy from the mini bar!

Also, this one bothered me a lot for a hotel that considers itself a 4 star. We forgot our toothpaste and asked the front desk if they had some. They did, but they told us it would be a $1 charge and we would have to pick it up ourselves. I don't mind paying the $1 charge (as it cuts down on abuse of freebies) but would it be too much to ask to send somebody up to drop it off? This is a 4 star hotel after all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to provide us with a review about your recent stay. I apologize that you were told that would not deliver your toothbrush as this is a service we provide. We have addressed the issue with the associate who provided you with the incorrect information and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. We hope you will provide us with another opportunity to serve you in the future.
North Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Headed to Detroit for our first time to the city and to see Kent State in the Mac tournament. We arrived real late in the night on Thursday and they offered us a late check out. Did not need to do but was a great idea since the game was later in the evening as well. As we went up to out room and down to the casino we were greeted with smiles and hellos by all employees we encountered. The room was up to date and used space well. Even though the room was small, you did not feel trapped or cramped. We felt very safe when we walked over to the game at Ford Field about 2 blocks away. Overall we walked away not winning tons of money (our own fault) and lost the MAC game and we still WILL be back to the hotel for another getaway for us. We loved our time there! Thanks Greektown for a great escape!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Caryn N, Manager at Greektown Casino Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
We are delighted that you were pleased with our staff and our convenience to the downtown attractions. Greektown Casino Hotel prides itself on having the best service in the city thanks to our amazing teammates. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and look forward to providing you with another great experience soon!
Grand Isle, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

There aren't too many good hotels in downtown Detroit. This is the best choice we've found so far. The rooms are reasonably large, well appointed and modern in style. The upper floor rooms have nice views either towards the high rises or towards the rest of the city. Note that the hotel is in a separate building from the casino, connected by a skybridge. Other than a little signage, you would never know this was a casino hotel. Free parking and free internet. The buffet breakfast is not expensive but I found much of it not very flavorful.

An unfortunate note on Detroit. From this location you will often take cabs, depending on where you are going. This last trip, we took cabs twice and neither time did the driver use the meter so one is at their mercy for what the charges are. You have to either insist on a price or on the meter being used. But on a positive note the Detroit Institute of Arts is wonderful, the Fox Theater amazing and the Detroit Zoo one of the best in the US, noted for its humane approach.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and flattering compliments. As our valued guest, your feedback is greatly appreciated to ensure we maintain our commitment to superior guest service. We are excited to share your comments with our Greektown Casino Hotel team. Thank you for choosing Greektown as your place to play and stay and we look forward to your next visit.
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Pros: Stayed with a group of girlfriends before the Turkey Trot this Thanksgiving. Free parking which connected to the hotel was so nice. Plus, they had people working the booths to make sure you were either staying at the hotel or going to the casino. The location is literally in Greektown, perfect for dinner, Astoria, etc. Clean, modern rooms, definitely a pleasant surprise. They offered free breakfast and a casino credit too.

Cons: The only thing that would have been nice would have been bigger bottled waters (small gripe, I know). They offered 2 small 6 or 8 oz bottles which probably would have been fine but would have been a nice touch since we were there for a run. And since it was the night before Thanksgiving, on either side of the room were loud groups clearly celebrating the bar night. I couldn't tell if it was thin walls or boisterous groups. Security was called 2x on the room next to us, and it took till past 4am for them to finally shut up. I know that isn't the hotel's fault, but definitely an annoyance.

Overall, if I'm back in the area and need to stay the night in Detroit, I would return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing to stay at Greektown Casino - Hotel. We appreciate that you took the time to provide us with your comments in regards to your recent visit. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with your neighbors. We hope you will once again stay with us the next time you are attending events downtown.

Been to Greektown Casino Hotel? Share your experiences!