“Another Great Experience at Doubletree Detroit!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby

Save Saved
You added Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   525 West Lafayette Blvd, Detroit, MI 48226   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast & WiFi!
Ranked #5 of 33 hotels in Detroit
Traverse City, Michigan
“Another Great Experience at Doubletree Detroit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I've been in the conference sales industry for over 20 years. Every so often you come across a property that really makes an impression, that has been my experience with Doubletree Detroit Dowtown-Fort Shelby. It is conveniently located with easy access to freeways and sporting events, and offers easy drive up valet service. The Front Desk staff is very friendly, and the smiling personality and professional manner of Danielle must be specifically mentioned. They are very lucky to have that woman as the first impression for their guests at check-in. After two visits, I'm looking forward to my next trip to Detroit, just so I can stay at the Doubletree again!

Room Tip: This is an all-suite hotel, so all the rooms are awesome.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

539 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We checked in without a hitch. Front desk was very friendly and we received our warm chocolate chip cookie as promised from their website. This hotel has complimentary wifi access. The hotel also offered a free shuttle service to be dropped off anywhere in the surrounding area. We were thankful that they had this service so we didn't have to drive around. We got a glimpse of MexicanTown, but only scouted out GreekTown for the night. We were at the hotel for one night bc we were there for an NFL game (Detroit vs. GreenBay). Parking is about $26 with the hotel. However, right next to the hotel, there is a lot and its $10 for over night parking and $5 for a day. So we paid $15 and there was in and out privileges too.

The room we had was a suite with a king size bed. The living area is spacious with a tv and the bedroom has a tv as well. Very modern/updated look and cozy unit we had and very clean. We wanted to order the UFC fight but they don't seem to have Pay Per View available. Can you believe it? no bar in downtown Detroit offered the fight on tv!!!

Overall, the location of the hotel was good. Walking distance to Ford Field (about a 10min walk). Cabbing from GreekTown back to the hotel will cost you just under $6 without tip. It is not a lively downtown city like some other cities we've been to.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bay City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I was so impressed with my first stay here. The lobby is welcoming and well organized. The desk clerk was friendly and professional and the check-in process was quick and easy. We received an upgrade to a suite at the end of the hall on the 9th floor. It was fantastic! Great décor and comfortable. The one complaint that my partner had was that he would prefer better lighting in the bathroom area and a shave mirror. I would like to see a hook or two in the actual bathroom for clothing instead of having to pile things on the toilet. We enjoyed a drink at the bar in the evening and received wonderful service in a great atmosphere. Breakfast in the morning was outstanding! There was a huge variety and the server was friendly and very helpful. I have found a new favourite in Detroit!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night. We needed to be near the Arena, and boy were we! We were impressed by the size of the room, the bathroom and the state of the bedroom area. Everything was clean, tidy and very comfortable. The cookies that that gave us were warm and chewy! Perfect for a sweet snack! Felt very safe walking down the streets back to the hotel at 3AM! Detoit gets a bad rap, not a scary city at all. The food at the hotel leaves much to be desired. The suggestion from the hotel was to actually go to Coney Island down the street, much to this food snob's shigrin, THEY SERVE HOT DOGS! No way, not on any day. Overall, good place to stay and I would recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Markham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

The complimentary hot chocolate chip cookie upon arrival set the mood for a great stay. I arrived in the dead of night, but check-in and service were just fine. The front desk hooked me up with transportation that I used throughout my time in Detroit.

The room I stayed in was meant for 1-2 but laid out apartment-style. It was really a bit much: huge bed, huger pillows, TV, desk, vestibules and closets galore. The bathroom was similarly well-appointed. Furniture and surfaces were all clean.

I decided to splurge on room service for breakfast and good a meal that was big on portions, maybe not so big on presentation. They also gently suggested I get it delivered later than I had originally hoped (despite offering the earlier time on their menu), but it didn't make an enormous difference.

The hotel and surroundings (and, in fact, the entire trip) gave me a great impression of Detroit.

Overall, had a great time and felt good about it, too, especially for the price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Spent three nights in Detroit with friends and had a wonderful time there. I called in prior to check-in, as I've heard some rumours about last-minute room switches. My concerns were not warranted as we were given a beautiful suite room and the check-in itself was a fast and friendly procedure. Exceptional front-desk service! My friend didn't get to eat her warm cookie on the first day but we were given fresh warm ones upon request. Excellent front-desk staff (with one exception - see below), clean and spacious rooms with comfortable beds, and a neat 24-hour fitness facility. The towels have a touch of smell (almost like smoke, and we had a nonsmoking room) but the replacements all had it so we weren't sure if it was a laundry thing. The odour is not overpowering and you can only smell it when the towel is pressed against the face. Dwayne the driver was very warm and friendly and did not mind helping us out with our luggage during our shuttle use upon check-out. Besides the towels, we did have a negative experience with calling CareLine/front desk. My friend called down to ask for some aspirin after she sprained her ankle in the fitness room. The lady on the line was rude and simply told her to get some from the vending machine. The fact that the CareLine card mentioned we could call for aspirin notwithstanding, there wasn't so much "care" we received during that call. But this singular negative incident did not overshadow the rest of the excellent stay.

Room Tip: 2-double bed & suite rooms are spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
sdunavent, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
It was so nice to see your stay at our hotel was great. Our staff takes great pride in making sure that each of our guest experanice something special. Thanks for posting the great news so others see. I hope we see you again on your next trip to the city.
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We booked one night, so my partner could be in a prime spot for the DFP marathon that he ran. The staff was wonderful - storing my bike for the race, very communicative about leave times adjusted for the race day, free shuttle van for dinner, and when I ordered room service and they were running behind, they made up for the delay with their kindness and extra free touches with breakfast. The best part was their over-the-top welcoming behavior towards all that visited before, during and after the race. Most were not even hotel guests, but the atmosphere was very special. Rooms were nice and clean too.

Room Tip: Higher rooms offer better views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We love our city and happy to see that you had a great time in it while you were with us. I will share your comments with our team
Thanks so much for taking the time to share

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby? Share your experiences!