“Very Pleasant Surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby

You added Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Very Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I'm from the Detroit area but have not stayed in a hotel downtown. I had a speaking engagement at Cobo Hall and was put up at this hotel. We arrived after midnight and was greeted with a two hot cookies. (350 calories btw but incredibly yummy). Even at that late hour, the front desk person made sure our car was taken care of. I asked to have a room away from elevators and ice machines and asked for an early wake-up call. Imagine our surprise to find that we were in a corner suite! We had large corner windows in both the bedroom and sitting room area. Even better, I had views of the river from many of the windows. The decor was contemporary and pleasant to look at and sit in. I'm fussy about cleanliness and always check what's under the mattress pads and pull mattresses away from the wall. Not only was everything very clean, but the bedskirt didn't have even a hint of lint under the mattress. The amenities were lemony and included a disposable facial cleansing cloth. The coffee was Wolfgang Puck and included real half and half - not powdered packets.

Since I had to go to Cobo, it was great to be able to walk. It was an easy 5 minute walk and I felt completely safe. The tv channel WDIV channel 4 is across the street. There isn't much in the way of businesses with a lot of people, but my event was on a Sunday morning. It might be different on a weekday. If you like to walk or run, the riverwalk and Hart Plaza are again a 5 minute walk away.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
lansing mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

last minute we booked this hotel through priceline and we were treated great. they put us in a 2 room suite with a king bed. hotel was nice. streets around were pretty dead but safe as 3-4 different law enforcement agencys are near. People mover is just around the corner. Free paper in the morning and a great coney island down the street.Will stay here again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
sdunavent, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
So happy to hear your stay was pleasant. I have shared your comments with the team and we hope we get to serve you again soon
beaverfalls
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We were at Fort Shelby Doubletree for a wedding and had a wonderful time. Everyone on staff was very helpful and considerate and when we asked after items, we received prompt, courteous responses. (No, the cookies were not warm, but that is not that big of a problem). We were especially impressed by the valet staff, as they were both professional and friendly. One young man named Edward was especially kind to make sure an item I dropped was back to me before we left. A billing issue was settled quickly and professionally by the front desk folks. The air conditioner filter was quickly replaced by a friendly maintenance fellow. However, we did have some difficulties: the room was not thoroughly clean (trash and dirt under beds, behind furniture), there were missing toiletry and linen items and we saw a cockroach near the wedding dining area. We notified staff on each of these items and most were addressed. I am concerned that I called DoubleTree regarding the problems we experienced and have not received a response. I feel we should have received some type of response to these issues or at least a follow-up call.
In all, it is a terrific hotel, has wonderful food and great service, but truly needs to work on cleanliness. I hope we have the opportunity to visit again to enjoy the wonderful improvements that the city of Detroit has been making, to enjoy the interesting attractions and visit Fort Shelby Doubletree.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I was glad to hear that you liked the hotel and our staff but very concerned about your cleaniness problem. Please be aware that our team takes this very to heart. I have addressed your issues with housekeeping and can assure you it will be corrected. Hope we see you again soon so you can see the changes
Traverse City, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

First of all, the rooms are huge. What a bargain. All the standard ammentities including the mini-fridge. Bathroom was big. Bed was big and comfy. Whole room had a nice clean vibe to it. Plan on valet-parking your car. I wouldn't trust the random parking lots you see surrounding the hotel. It's like $20 a day but what the hay. Very pleasant staff, even give you cookies when you check in. Location is outside the 'heart' of downtown but still within walking distance of everything. Also located close to a people mover stop. We walked all the way over to RenCen and up to Comerica for a game and back. Hotel had a restaurant and and a bar that looked nice but we didn't visit. The only con I can really think of is the vending machines on some of the floors did not work. It took me 10 minutes one night to search every floor for a working vending machine. Other than that I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone really.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
So glad to hear you enjoyed you time at the hotel and it met you expectations. Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback it means alot to the whole team.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was planning a trip for 6 guys, and this was the only hotel in a reasonable price range that said that had rooms that would accomodate 6. We were in town for a Tigers game and a night of casino/bar hopping, and we were able to fit 6 guys pretty comfortably in their large 2-queen + sofabed suite. The living room and bedrooms were big enough to fit 2 aerobeds, plus a rollaway bed from the hotel, so all 6 guys had their own mattress including the pullout sofa. Made for a very comfortable sleeping situation.
The amenities of the suite itself were pretty standard, no complaints about cleanliness or anything like that.
The location was pretty great for our purposes, walkable to the stadium, walkable to Greektown, and walkable to the MGM, but also right around the corner from public transportation if walking isn't your thing.
The only downside was having to pay 20 dollars for parking, with no self-parking alternative. I wish we had taken advantage of the restaurant/bar in the hotel lobby because that also looked pretty good. Overall a good stay at a great value and will most likely stay here again next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Wow great to hear that you loved the size of our rooms. That happens to my favorite thing also it makes it so easy if you have several people in your room to be able to close the rooms off. Thanks for the great comments
Hope to see you again
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I have to say this hotel and it's restaurant bar were a very pleasant surprise. Scarlett and the staff in the Round Bar were excellent - fast and attentive. Food was GREAT!

The Round Bar stayed open after normal closing hours for our group and were always friendly and seemed to genuinely enjoy their work.

Rooms were fantastic - HUGE suites - clean comfortable beds and separate living room area - flat screen TV's in both rooms.

The Executive Lounge was not open while I was there - but I asked for and received vouchers for complimentary breakfasts. (8-day stay in November 2011).

Front Desk and shuttle driver staff were all very friendly and helpful - even took us to and from Motown Museum.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the response. It's always great to see when people are surprised by our hotel and our wonderful city. Hope we see you again soon
Algonquin, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Do not go to this hotel on a Monday. They hold a parking lot party until midnight that is directly under the windows. They use huge speakers with heavy bass music, making it impossible to sleep until the party is over. The crowd noise is also very bad until after the event is over. They advised me the event is every Monday night.
Upon check-in the staff was very unresponsive and acted as if they were doing me a favor by letting me stay in their hotel. They provided no information about the hotel to include me havng to ask for directions to the elevator. Very poor service all the way around.
On the positive side- the rooms are very spacious and well laid out. The beds are comfortable and had it not been for the incessant noise the night would have been nice.

Also note there is $20 valet parking as the only option other than unsecured lots which is not a good option in Detroit. I would recommend the Greektown Casino Hotel as a much nicer and comparatively priced hotel which is nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room to avoid the party noise
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
sdunavent, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
I was so sorry to hear about the nosie keeping you up at night. We have just started this outside event and are working out the bugs to ensure we don't disturb our other guest. I have gone over your issues with the front office manager and can ensure you that service is our number one concern. I so hope you will try us again and see that we do know how to deliver the promise to our guest

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby? Share your experiences!