This is the old Fort Shelby historic hotel that was very well renovated into true suites. Each room is a separate living room and bedroom with two flat screen TV’s and a separate bathroom. It really is a suite, not just a name. .
The employees were excellent. The breakfast was superior. The Finn and Porter restaurant in the building is a more than adequate place to eat dinner. They serve in the round bar on weekday nights which makes for a convivial atmosphere.
The one downside is the only parking they offer is valet for $25/day. You can also park on the street but I don’t know the safety of this . It would be good if they had mid-priced self-parking as there are several lots immediately adjacent to the building.
It’s located about seven blocks from the great MGM Grand Casino which is a real plus. Has some great eating as well as generally 1st class operation. But nightime streets in downtown Detroit are so very quiet that you might not feel comfortable walking. This is not a crime issue, it’s just the lack of traffic either pedestrian or auto, and sizeable areas occupied by parking lots and empty buildings.
Nevertheless the city is making a comeback with new hotels, arenas, and other amenities --- it certainly a better place than it was years ago and I had absolutely no problems.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wonderful historic hotel in the heart of downtown Detroit. Enjoy our all suite hotel rooms. Just one block from the people mover. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels, Expedia, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby Hotel Detroit
- Doubletree Hotel Fort Shelby