“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Brampton, Canada
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

The staff & location were excellent. It got a little warm in the room,& could have been more quiet, but the beds were comfy, the room was large & bright. The adjoining room was loud as our neighbours still wanted to party until the wee hours. That is not the hotels fault though, just rude people which you can't control.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jon C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for the feedback Bigrita. I’m sorry you experienced loud neighbors as our security officers are quick to address noise concerns when we are aware. We appreciate your compliments and look forward to your return.

Jon Coutts – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night to see a baseball game and to visit some friends. The value for money was very good. The color scheme of the common areas was a bit jarring, very bright yellows, blues, and reds. We joked that it felt a bit like a fast food restaurant, but overall the property was well maintained and the staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was enormous and quite comfortable. Things were clean and well taken care of. Wifi was free. The gym was very nice too. They had at least 7 treadmills, very good for a hotel fitness center.

The hotel is also directly connected to the people mover which I expect would be particularly nice in the winter. As we were here in Spring, it wasn't much of an advantage. It's actually faster to walk most places than to take the people mover.

The only real negative point I will mention is the in room coffee maker. It's in the bathroom. Not ideal. I understand that's where the water is, but I still don't want to make my coffee in the bathroom. There might as well have not been a coffee maker, since we wouldn't use it. It's just not hygienic. It was especially puzzling as to why they would put the coffee maker in the bathroom when the room was so big. There was definitely space for it elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jon C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Noodlenj,

It was nice to receive your great feedback as a Top Contributor with TripAdvisor – thank you!

We will take another look at the location of our in-room coffee makers and determine if there is possibly better placement. It is not a hygienic issue that I am aware of, but the perception may be uninviting for others as well.

I enjoyed reading your other Detroit reviews and hope we have an opportunity to accommodate you again soon.

Tecumseh, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We chose this hotel because of location and amenities. We called ahead as we had 5 people and wanted to see if there were any special instructions they needed. We were advised to request an accessible room and a roll away bed, which we did. Our dates of stay were April 26 - April 27th.

We pre-paid our reservation via the Marriott website. Everything I had read said that they had parking for $15. We called from the car as we are not familiar with the downtown area. We were then told they don't offer parking, other than valet. They gave directions to offsite, not Marriott owned parking. First red flag, dishonesty on the website.

We checked in and the clerk there told us that they would send the roll away bed up right away. She asked for a credit card to have in case of incidentals. I gave her a different card than the one I used for booking. Went to the room, noticed there were 2 sets of towels (well a large towel and wash cloth, no hand towels whatsoever) for 5 people. My husband called and requested more towels, they assured us there were 5 sets. No, we looked. Is it policy to argue with guests?
We headed over to the Ren Cen for the convention we were attending. We came back hours later and no roll away, no towels. We had to give the desk another call. They brought the bed, but no pillow, no blankets. So we had to request the pillow and more towels (again!)

We then went to enjoy the pool that had looked so lovely online. Dirty towels all over, no clean ones to be found even though the front desk said there would be. Went back to the exercise area to find towels. No attendant at all. Back in to the pool where there were small children playing in the hot tub. I asked them to not be in there because of their age and no supervision. I was told "I can swim, my momma left me here." So they finally left the tub (I'd say they were about 9, 7 and 4). One of the children then went to the table where I left my towel and room key and proceeded to try and take my key. I told him no and he argued with me. At that point I asked my husband to call the desk. They assured him security would be right up. Nope. I went back to the room because I was so upset. Called the desk. She said they had a call already and that she would now be sending security up. She asked me if I had gotten their room number or name. I told her no, as a mom I wouldn't want my children telling that to strangers. !!?? What happened after the first call? Who knows. By the time "security" wandered up there the kids had gone. What a help.
Someone from the desk called our room to ask if the bed and towels had been brought up. I told her yes and asked why we had to call when we were told on check in it would be up. "It's been hectic." Every time we had walked by the desk the staff was standing around talking to each other. Sorry our needs interrupted social time.
We noticed our room was becoming extremely hot. We tried to use the box on the wall and nothing worked. Again we called the desk. They sent a gentleman up to fix the issue. The first thing out of his mouth was "Well you have the curtains open, if you don't close those it won't ever get cool in here." Nice. Blame the guest. I left with our children and my husband stayed with the repair person. There did turn out to be a mechanical issue. No apology for the reprimand. Why have a beautiful view that you can't enjoy? We didn't expect the room to be an igloo, just not 80 degrees! No respect from yet another staff member.
The whole stay was like this. We asked the desk if there were exhaust fans at all in the rooms. The same employee who fixed the heating/cooling issue said "of course there are. They vent on to the roof." Like we were idiots for asking. Rude!
There were screaming drunk people in the halls at all hours so I didn't get much sleep at all.
Upon checkout the employee at the desk asked how our stay was. I told her very unpleasant. She said, oh I'm sorry. Have a nice day. I had to ask for a manager when I was clearly upset. Are they trained to just brush things aside?
The manager Lela listened to our concerns, apologized and let us know she would be following up with staff. She also credited my card $50 for the inconvenience. I'm still waiting to see that appear. I did notice that they charged an unauthorized $10 on the card I used to reserve the room. I tried to call the hotel from the car, but people were just too busy to deal with my issue.
My husband called when we arrived at home. Lela had no idea that it would automatically charge the card I had used to reserve. So now the hotel had double charged for "incidentals" that I didn't even use! Now I am worried about the security of my card. How much more will they accidentally charge?
I don't think we'll be using Marriott properties again in the future. I try to treat all people with respect, no matter what their job or position is. I figure they are working for a living, just as I am. Apparently the employees here were never taught that lesson. They would rather be rude and dismissive.

Room Tip: Rooms on the river side have a beautiful view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Jon C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Jenni,

I’m sorry to hear about your disappointing stay at our hotel. We take great pride in our guest satisfaction and strive to offer exceptional service regardless of the level of business in our hotel.

As we also received a Marriott Customer Satisfaction survey from you earlier today, we will attempt to contact you directly for resolution with the information on file. I would like to address your concern with the accuracy of our website though, as our integrity with TripAdvisor members is very important.

The seven story parking garage located behind our hotel is actually attached (on-site) to our building, and can be accessed from the third through seventh floor directly in to the Millender Center atrium. We reference off-site parking as well. Oversized vehicle self-parking is available off-site (apx two blocks at Beaubien Place Garage) at Beaubien & Atwater St. I apologize if you felt we were misleading and would appreciate additional insight when we contact you.

I look forward to an opportunity to speak with you and address your concerns personally.

Zeeland, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We recently stayed overnight at the Detroit Downtown Courtyard by Marriott. We were pleased with the experience. The staff were very pleasant, helpful people. The room was extremely clean. We were on the 16th floor and enjoyed a great view of Detroit. The parking is a little pricey, but then again, you don't have to worry about your car. We would return!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the “pleasant and helpful” staff compliment. Our associates love to hear the feedback, and I will make sure to personally share.

We really have great views from the hotel, as our guest rooms start on the eighth floor. With our location so near the downtown city center, our city skyline is interesting from every direction as well.

We look forward to your return!

Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Went in to see if I could get a room for a few hours to allow my daughter to rest before the Wings game (she had fallen ill). I identified myself as a Marriott, having just checked out of the Residence Inn (Novi) - Elite member. The hotel was full, but no offer to help find another place nearby, just told there is a Marriott across the (busy) street dismissively,

If the Marriott has no "day" or "half day" rates, maybe they should look into that. I went down the street to the Crowne Pontchartain, which gladly gave me a "half day rate" for a few hours rest, allowed me to park my car and a quick 5 minute walk to the game. We will stay at the Pontchartrain for the next game.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Jon C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Please accept my apology for not extending our hospitality to you. I certainly understand your concern traveling with an ill child in an unfamiliar city. Although we were sold out Tuesday evening, I agree we could have done more to assist you with a reservation at the Marriott Renaissance Center, or recommend another local hotel if they too were sold out.

I will share your feedback and my response with our front desk staff. Thank you for the opportunity to address your concern.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We held a 33-person lunch event at this venue recently and were very satisfied with the service and food quality. Would definitely recommend to others looking to host a catered event in downtown Detroit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Jon C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you for the recommendation Manny. Our Skyline room is ideal for a group your size, with great views of the city from our eighth floor. I will share your review with our banquet and culinary team, and look forward to your return.

Lowell, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

We have made this our go to hotel when headed to Detroit for sporting events. We checked in before the Red Wing game. Hoped on the people mover next to the lobby and headed to Joe Lewis. Quick and easy. Room was clean quiet but a little warm. They shut down access to air until they determine its spring. Our room was warm but not stuffy. Nice bar area and very helpful front desk. Location is perfect to get to all Detroit venues.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jon C, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for using Courtyard Detroit Downtown as your “go to” hotel Tracy. We appreciate your confidence in our service, and agree the People Mover offers smooth, easy access to Joe Louis Arena for a Red Wings game or concert.

Our building’s heating and cooling system, including individual guest room temperatures is electronically monitored daily and adjusted based on external temperatures. We were a little hesitant after the long, harsh winter but switched over last Friday. The system also provides a heating option in the current cooling mode, but not the reverse.

We hope to see you again soon with the Wings upcoming play-off run!

Jon Coutts – General Manager

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Downtown? Share your experiences!