“a bit AVER-AGE” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“a bit AVER-AGE”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Have to say, I love the Marriott Rewards Program! This particular hotel in Detroit was okay. I mean it did its purpose. Sometimes I look for customer services to be over the top or just more pleasant smiles. I know it was freezing during the time I was there, so I guess I get it. I was at this hotel for over 15 days, and like I said the experience wasn't something to really talk about. But would I stay here again, probably. Its affordable, clean and theres a few little spots near by to eat that you can just walk too. (when its not in the negatives outside)

eeeeeh!

Bartender Lady, was very pleasing and patient. Thanks J!

Room Tip: the top floors have the best views. 21st Floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
DTWDCGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Ms. Morales,

We appreciate your fifteen day stay with us during the North American International Auto Show. It’s been an interesting month with weather in Detroit, breaking records for temperature and snowfall.

I will share you feedback with our staff as we pride ourselves on over the top guest service. It’s a great reminder, especially with our long-term guests that every encounter deserves the same attention as the first. I will also make pass along your compliments to Marianna in the bar and the housekeeping team.

We look forward to your return, and better weather!

Jon Coutts – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Stayed with them for 2 weeks during the auto show and they have got very friendly and helpful staff. It near to everything considering its in downtown and opposite the Ren-GM center. The convenience store attached has most of the things you would need. It's pretty safe to go out at night as well and you would notice lot of police presence around.

Only problem I had during the stay was the sound the heater motor made while starting at night. When it got quiet at night, the sound was loud enough to wake me up several time.

Dear Imamitkhan,

Thank you for the review acknowledging our helpful staff and location. You may have noticed we are also fortunate to be connected to the Renaissance Center and located on the campus of General Motors World Headquarters with their own security force.

We just completed an extensive guest room heating and cooling rejuvenation project with upgraded thermostats and fan motors. If you have an opportunity to e-mail me with your room number, our chief engineer will address the fan motor noise immediately.

We look forward to seeing you again next year for the auto show. I understand this year’s show attendance was the best it’s been in ten years.

Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We decided to go to the auto show this year. Drove up from Indy and chose to stay at this hotel because I actually had enough points for a free night. Easy to find, perfect location. They have a people mover stop that took us right to the Cobo center for the show (only .75 each way) and you can buy tokens right in the liquor store on your way to the stop (which is attached to the hotel) And the liquor store sold coke products -since the hotel only had Pepsi products. Rooms are huge . Easy walk to Greek town for excellent food choices. We walked to the ice skating rink and other locations downtown. Staff is helpful, tons of work out equipment if you are inclined for such. Excellent choice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
DTWDCGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Agioe,

Thank you for the glowing review and selecting our hotel to redeem your Marriott Reward points. It sounds like you had a great downtown Detroit adventure during your stay.

As you noted, there are many directions to walk from our hotel where you will find activity. The ice rink at Campus Martius is a winter treasure only two blocks from the Courtyard, and Greektown four blocks.

We look forward to your return.

Summit, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed a night for the wings game and auto show which was very convenient for this hotel. The staff was quite nice but I think the place was full and you could feel that they were stretched. The room was mostly clean but not quite out to marriott standards and the breakfast was not so appealing .

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Tally,

I’m sorry to hear we didn’t meet your Marriott expectations. While we are enjoying a record pace in attendance at this year’s North American International Auto Show, we also plan for the increase in business demand.

If you could provide any additional detail concerning our housekeeping and breakfast quality, I would be happy to investigate and respond to you personally. We appreciate the opportunity to accommodate Red Wings fans and thank you for your Marriott loyalty.

Jon Coutts, General Manager
West Branch, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Housekeeping is terrible, the rooms are not clean, and they haven't done anything to improve my room in the 5 days I've been here. The same dirty glasses have been sitting on my desk since the first night, the towel and washcloth I used twice and then threw on the floor were put back on the shelf, and I had to force them to give me more shampoo and conditioner. The first night of my stay I ate in the hotel bar/restaurant and had 2 drinks and was given top shelf at $10 each which I didn't ask for. Unfortunately this is the hotel the company I work for uses and I have to stay here for 2 more weeks! SAVE ME! I will definitely be in contact with the people who decide to use this hotel and recommend they find someplace else.

Green Features: They never change the sheets or towels, I guess that's environmentally friendly.
Dear Chris,

Please accept my apology for your disappointment. I was aware of your concerns prior to you posting this review, and had the understanding there was resolution.

We did unfortunately error on the whisky used for your Whisky Sour, and hope our resolution was acceptable. We have also communicated your experience with the attending housekeeper this week, and would be interested in any current feedback.

I am confident your experience will not be repeated, and appreciate the relationship we have with your company. I would be happy to meet with you personally this week or next at your convenience should you like to discuss further.

Beulah, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I was impressed by how clean the room floor was. My slippers didn't pick up any lint. Our only complaint was the difficulty of changing channels on the TV. To go to a new channel, one has to start at the basic menu offering movies, TV, etc.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
DTWDCGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Helen,

Thank you for sharing your experience and the compliment about our clean hotel. Our housekeepers and floor care staff take great pride in their work, and we appreciate the feedback.

We are in the final days of negotiating upgrades to our television programming, and expect to have a new system installed by the end of January. Besides easier navigation, we anticipate offering additional channels as well.

We look forward to accommodating you again soon!

Haifa, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Pro:
1. large rooms 2. great location 3. very good service 4. fast free internet 5. business center to work/print boarding pass 6. many restaurants around, including in the building 7. bridge to the Ren Cen (very convenient when the temperature is -7 Celsius) 8. coffee/tea in the morning
Cons:
1. parking can be better (also some reduction as an hotel guest) 2. A continental breakfast with a reduced price can be nice
But overall: Good choice

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Botzer,

Thank you for the detailed critique on the pros and cons of staying at the Courtyard Detroit Downtown. Nice to hear you had four times as many pros and would recommend our hotel as a good choice for business.

It sounds like you opted for $15 self-parking. Although we don’t own the enclosed eight story parking garage attached to the hotel, another option to consider is one of our room packages that includes valet parking.

Jon Coutts – General Manager

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Downtown? Share your experiences!