“Great restaurant in the D.” 5 of 5 stars

400 Renaissance Center, Detroit, MI 48243
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Andiamo - Riverfront is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 985 Restaurants in Detroit
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Jefferson & Atwater
“Great restaurant in the D.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Was taken here by the wife for special ocassion. The place was nothing short of special. When we got there they had a table for us right by the window with the awesome view and a bottle of champagne waiting on ice the table.

The service was excellent and the meal were served by courses so there was excellent timing in between. The staff was excellent and very professional. Loved it.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Southfield, Michigan
“Wife's Birthday ( 5? )”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had a very nice , intimate dinner, We were seated at a booth , which was not requested, but much desired. and we both had an excellant view of the River. This may seem minor, but it makes for great conversation when the evening slows down a little. Also the meal came in courses, which were well timed as to not interupt those special moments that frequently occur during special occasions. Our waitstaff was very attentive, without being intrusive. (Wish I could remember her name, I believe it was "Jasmine". )
The dinner was delicious, which should not have to be mentioned. I always have a nice time her. Although, they mention a dress code, there really isn't any. but it's not distracting. Overall, we had a wonderful time again.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Port Huron, Michigan
“Housekeeper needed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

For Valentine's Day my wife and I got reservations at Andiamo- Riverfront prior to seeing a play. First of all, avoid our mistake being unfamiliar with the area: drive past the parking garage and approach the restaurant from the river- use the valet parking at the door and you'll save yourself about 10 minutes walking from the parking garage each way.

I ordered the Petto di Pollo alla Valdostana- a lightly breaded chicken breast covered with prosciutto & fontina cheese served on a bed of asparagus and carrots in a garlic white wine sauce. I added artichoke hearts for an additional charge and the chef incorporated them into the dish by putting them on top of the chicken breast. All the food was perfectly cooked and flavored. The presentation was also very well done. The dish came with a side of bowtie pasta with meat sauce which was smartly presented on a smaller dish. This was also very flavorful, but nothing spectacular. I had the house salad which was nicely presented although the house dressing was rather bland in my estimation. The bread was warm and very tasty. It is served with a seasoned olive oil for dipping. I also ordered the Chef's Potato- which turned out to be just mashed potatos. I'm unsure if it is always mashed potatos, or if it's whatever type of potato the chef chooses for the day. The potato was bland and needed seasoning.

My wife ordered the Tortellini alla Panna which I believe was homemade because it had a unique shape compared to tortellini I have had before. My wife rated it a 10 out of 10. She had the same salad and bread that I had, although she was not as critical of the salad dressing as I was.

We each ordered a dessert. I ordered something they called the kit kat, which was a rich chocolate dessert. Good but not great. My wife rated hers as a 6 out of 10.

The service matched the culinary greatness. Our waiter was very attentive and our water glasses were always filled before we asked which is the type of service one should expect from a restaurant of this caliber.

The waterfront view overlooks Caesar's Casino and hotel in Canada. We also had a beautifully well kept salt water fish tank all across the back wall where we were sitting. The fish were all healthy and fascinating as they had a number of different species in the tank.

Now, the downside, which inspired the title of this review. First off, the black padded bench which sits directly in front of the fishtank was visibly dusty. So much so that you could see the difference when you brushed it off by hand. This did not seem like the kind of dust that could accumulate in a day, but rather weeks or maybe even months. All they would have to do to remedy this would be to have someone wipe it down with a wet cloth daily. Why they don't do this is beyond me. The second area that needed addressing was the bathroom sink. It had the kind of grime that only comes from weeks or even months of neglect. I would be surprised to find this kind of filth in a fast food restaurant, let alone a restaurant where you pay $20 or more for your entre! I will say that the table and other areas of the restaurant looked emaculate. So, why these simple areas are not addessed is a mystery.

With all that being said, we enjoyed our visit and may return when we next visit Detroit. The food and service are good enough to overlook those isolated instances of uncleanliness. The uncleanliness was our only reason for rating it a 4 instead of a 5. Bon apetit!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Perrysburg, Ohio
“A very special place - the whole package”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We have been to Andiamo Detroit Riverfront several times and each time we go we have a fantastic experience. The food is delicious and the staff are top notch. Make a reservation and relax and enjoy the entire experience over a bottle of wine. If you are there after 8 p.m. or so on the weekend there is a band playing dinner music. It is fun to go sit at the bar after a Red Wings game, Lions game or Tigers game. The resturant is right on the river and in The Renaissance Center so you can easily go there on the people mover. It is an experience that is special.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, Alabama
“Good, But for the Price, It Should Have Been Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My sweetheart & I dined at Andiamo Detroit Riverfront on Friday, January 25th. We started with the Frittatine di Granchioalla Andiamo ($17.00) aka Maryland crab cakes, corn relish, sun-dried tomato and remoulade sauce. The crab cakes were delicious, but barely warm. I had the 8 oz filet mignon ($38.00) with the Andiamo Zip Sauce on the side. The filet was served with mashed potatoes and asparagus. The steak was not the best I’ve ever had, but it was quite good, and most importantly cooked just as I had requested. My sweetheart had the Filetto di Basso ($45.00) aka roasted seabass, sweet pea risotto cake, wilted baby spinach and sun-dried tomato butter. Seabass is one of his favorites, and he eats it regularly. He thought Andiamo’s was just okay. Both entrees were served with salad or cup of soup, a small plate of pasta and an assortment of Italian breads. I really liked having an assortment of breads, but it would have been much better, had it been warm. For dessert, I had a puff pastry with ice cream & hot fudge sauce. This should have been delectable, but the hot fudge sauce was neither hot or fudgey. In fact, it barely had a chocolate flavor. My sweetheart had the Tiramisu, one of his favorite desserts, but found Andiamo’s to be disappointing.

The service was good, but we both had trouble understanding our server Aslam. He spoke very fast, and at a low volume. I was having trouble deciding on my entrée, and was considering the Tortellini alla Panna, but was not sure I would like the cream sauce. Aslam, brought me a sample to taste, which I really appreciated. There seemed to me a disconnect with the assistant waiters. An assistant only stopped at our table twice, but seemed to routinely visit other tables to remove dishes and refill beverages.

This is our third year to visit Andiamo’s during the Auto Show. We always enjoy the ambience, food and service, but this year, we were a little disappointed. The food ranged from just okay to good, but for the price, it should have been great!

• Visited January 2013