“Fantastic Architecture, Awful Neighborhood” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Adoba Hotel Dearborn/Detroit

You added Adoba Hotel Dearborn/Detroit to your Saves list
Adoba Hotel Dearborn/Detroit
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   600 Town Center Drive, Fairlane Town Center, Dearborn, MI 48126-2793 (Formerly Hyatt Regency Dearborn)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Dearborn
GreenLeadersGold level
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Fantastic Architecture, Awful Neighborhood”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This building still turns heads 35 years after it was opened, and while it is still a decent hotel, you must understand that the neighborhood has shockingly deteriorated over the past five years, and the structure itself has significantly deteriorated in the past year, so much to the point that it will be closing on October 31st unless a new operator can be found, since the Hyatt Corp is walking away after failing to reach a renovation agreement with the owners.

This area used to house a Ritz-Carlton, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Lord & Taylor, all closed within the past 5 years. Lord & Taylor at the adjacent shopping mall was closed following a deadly shooting in the parking lot. The mall is surrounded by Detroit on two sides, and unless you know Detroit (I live a mile from this hotel), you don't know how bad it has become. While I live 5,000 feet away, half of the houses in this neighborhood are burned out or boarded up, hookers walk up and down the streets, and if you don't park in your garage, you will get a block thrown through your windshield (it has happened to me twice in the past year). My neighbor's house was broken into twice in the same week (last week). Open your window at night and you will hear gun shots, car alarms, and screams for "help". I am not exaggerating this. This is all happening within earshot of this facility. It's like a third-world country.

While the owners of this hotel can't be blamed for the crime, they have run this once beautiful facility so far into the ground that Hyatt wants nothing to do with it anymore; once their flagship hotel.

1976: Hyatt Regency Dearborn opens with Fairlane Town Center and a state-of-the-art monorail connect the two. It was designed by famed architect Charles Luckman and cost $40M.

Late-80s: The monorail is removed, officially because the parts were scarce. Unofficially because the mall became very violent and the ruckus was spilling over into the hotel.

Early-2000s: Shooting at adjacent department store, it closes and takes a significant part of the mall with it, including Saks Fifth Avenue and the Ritz-Carlton. Vacancies mount faster than Taubman can board them up.

2007: Hotel sold for $40M. Owners voluntarily default soon after.

2010: Hotel slated to be sold for $20M, but price was reduced to just $10M due to an undisclosed "structural issue". The issue is still unknown. (Local business officials estimate that it would cost $130M to build this structure today).

May, 2012: Announced that this hotel would close after the new owners refused to invest in a renovation to bring the facility up to current standards. Hyatt Corp decides to distance itself from the deteriorating property.

August, 2012: Hyatt Corp sends a WARN letter to the State of Michigan indicating that the entire staff of 250 is slated to be laid off on October 31st unless the owners find a new operator.

Today: Lack of any maintenance is really beginning to show. Brickwork is spalling, glazing is damaged, interior is worn and stained (just look at the photos). Holes in sheets, tears in wallpaper. I have stayed in Super 8s that were better maintained. A true shame. Charles Luckman and Henry Ford are rolling in their graves.

The bottom line is: this hotel doesn't have much a future, nor does the area it is in. The foreign owners practically stole the building and refuse to upkeep it. The complex has security, and you will probably be fine as long as you don't venture out beyond the ring road. But this facility has seen its day and it's not long for the world now.

Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt with two young kids. We requested a small fridge in our room but was told they don't have any small fridges. Other 3-4 star hotels I have been to usually can accommodate this request. We also requested extra towels but had to call the front desk twice. Nobody showed up with towels until 2 hours later. We also asked for a crib but didn't get it until the next day (after speaking with the front desk). The front desk staff was pleasant and helpful but there seems to be some disconnect between the front desk and the housekeeping staff. The phone in the room had the direct connect buttons to the front desk but this button keep transferring us to the 'emergency' line. We always had to be transferred to the front desk. This hotel seems to be catering to the convention crowd. You have to walk past a number of conference rooms to get to the pool area. We asked a staff member by the pool area if it was heated and he didn't know. Overall this hotel is mediocre. So don't be deceived by the 'Hyatt' name. Note that this hotel will longer be associated with Hyatt in October.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Don't be deceived. This hotel is old. Nothing modern about it. Fitness center isn't evn enclosed but in an open air space beside kids pool. Loud children running everywhere throughout gym isn't my idea of fun. Top floor for Hyatt platinums and diamond members isn't anything to write home about either. Room furniture and fixtures are old - Hyatt attendant told me upon check out that this property doesn't meet Hyatt standards so they are removing their name starting next year. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
east coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had a great stay in Dearborn, MI. This hotel is close to Henry Ford attractions, mall and food/restaurants. Free parking and an impressive lobby. The kids loved the clear elevators. The room was very clean and the sheets felt very clean. The staff was also very friendly. Would come back again next time if we are in the area.

Sidney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed at this hotel after being tricked by expedia. We thought we were on the hotel website but in fact the number listed that we called was an expedia agent. We feel that we were deceived for this reason. Be careful when booking that you are actually contacting the hotel and not being routed through another service provider.
Pros:
1. Clean comfortable beds.
2. Free hotel parking in front.
3. Good breakfast restaurant and wait staff.
4. Good pool for just having a simple swim.
Cons:
1. They charge you for water.
2. No free internet access - you must pay even if just to check an email.
3. No free breakfast despite finding most others DID have a free breakfast.
4. The hotel is VERY dark on the inside. You need to let more light in folks!
5. Broken ice machines that were not repaired even after calling.
6. Worn, dirty carpets in the bedroom. Stains.
7. Semi indifferent front desk staff. Not proactive with smiles and warm feeling.
8. The hotel layout is room after room appearance as if a vast dormitory. Instills a feeling of dread.
9. Circuitous roads around the hotel make it difficult to navigate the city for the visitor. At the very least this hotel could offer a shuttle bus like other hotels that takes visitors around town to the various locations such as the museums and shopping areas. Other hotels do this success. You can too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dearborn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

My family and I didn't enjoy the stay at all they stated the pool was heated and if it was why was the water so cold that my son only swam for about 10 minutes and he got out stating the water was to cold and his lips were a faded blue. I also got in the pool and it was freezing I got right back out. I was not the only guest that complained there were about 10 others. Also I checked in and got the key card to my room went up to the room with my family and our belongings to find that the door would not open so I tried pushing on the door rather hard and it let us in. The we got dresses to swim and when we returned the door was jammed and we could not get in I reported this 2 the front desk they sent a security guard up to help that didn't work finally after 30 minutes a engineer came and used some force to get the door to open he made a few adjustments and said everything should be fine now. Then as we leave for dinner the door would not close due to the lock was stuck in the lock position causing the door not to be able to close so I called the front desk 30 minutes later the same engineer returned and forced the lock back in so the door would close. He stated he would make a few more adjustments and it should be fine again. We return from dinner and could not get back in to our room for the 3rd time. I called the front desk they sent the same engineer back to open the door again he let us in and adjusted the lock once more. Then I left the room to get ice and the door was stuck again I finally ask to be moved to a different after being on hold for 15 minutes I was told they would move me to a new room and a doorman will be up with the new key cards 45 minutes later he arrived with the new key cards and by that time it was 11pm. Then we get in the new room order a movie and the movie would not come in clearly called the front desk was told they would send engineering up to take a look 45 minutes later he arrives to adjust it I was to not just one of the connections was bad but 2 of them were bad. Wow so by 1am I was very unhappy and just want to get some rest the bed was one of the worst I had ever slept in it was so wore in the center I would have been better off trying to sleep in the chair. I was very unhappy with my stay I reported that to the front desk as I was checking out and all I got was very sorry about that have a nice day very rudely. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone and I will never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Savannah, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Pluses were the elevators. They are glass and there a like 6 of them so you never have to wait. We needed a crib for baby and one was immediately brought to our room even though it was 11 at night. Room was clean and adequate and parking was free in a large lot. Not so good was the TEN dollars a day they wanted for wifi. Are you kidding me? I have never heard of a 4 star hotel charging for wifi. Room service was outrageoilusly priced (but I guess most hotels are like this).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Adoba Hotel Dearborn/Detroit? Share your experiences!