“Refused service because of disability” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #56 of 194 Restaurants in Dearborn
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Dearborn, Michigan
“Refused service because of disability”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I'm a disabled veteran who uses a service dog to get around. When I tried to eat here with a friend I was told there were no service animals allowed.

Now, I know that people are sometimes confused about the law, so I was polite. I told the staff that under the Americans with Disabilities Act they had to seat me just like any customer. I was refused again, this time by a manager. I went home, printed up the law, and came back to ask to speak to a different manager. This manager promised she would have the owner call me to discuss the matter, but no one has called. All I asked for was an apology and that they train their employees about service dog etiquette.

I was refused service, then ignored. I'm seriously embarrassed.

The Hawk is well-groomed and well-mannered, trained by My Angels with Paws in Florida. That's a nationally recognized and reputable organization. During this encounter Hawkeye stood quietly without offering any sort of threat or noise. He wears both a cape with his organization logo on it and a mobility harness which I use and was on a leash.

My friend had recommended Amani's to me because the food is tasty, but I have no idea if that is true. I'm feel both humiliated and dismissed by the management here, who even when shown a copy of the law refused to serve me. I wasn't rude at all- didn't raise my voice, was firm but polite, and they still embarrassed me. My friend was also embarrassed for having recommended the place.

I've filed a complaint with the Michigan Civil Rights Division against Amani's. Perhaps now I will hear back from them.

If you don't mind patronizing a place which treats disabled people this way, feel free to eat here. I hear the food is tasty. I mean, I wouldn't know personally...

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Wyandotte, Michigan
“Excellent Arabic food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

On a recent evening, we piled into this restaurant with a group of 16 people, and they accommodated us right away in a very friendly fashion. They did warn us that it was the time for Ramadan, so after approximately one hour, the restaurant would completely fill up and all the tables were reserved. We agreed to stay and try to eat quickly, and the staff was great! The food came hot, delicious and quick, and the servers were attentive and kind. When we had finished, we watched as they descended on our table to bus it and were amazed at how quickly they had it ready for the next party, which was then arriving. Our dropping in with that many people and without a reservation was no doubt an inconvenience to them, but they never in any way treated us as if they felt inconvenienced. We will definitely go back in the future! Quality food and prices are good too.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Nice little arabic style diner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Place looked in the middle of no where, but looked like a nice diner, staff were very friendly, food was actually quite nice looking at how simple the place looked. The amani deluxe burger was really nice for $5+. We felt very relaxed and at ease. Decor can be improved but all in all a nice place.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere