“Not Worthy of a 5 Star Rating.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Metropol Perth

Save Saved
You added Crown Metropol Perth to your Saves list
Crown Metropol Perth
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Great Eastern Highway, Burswood, Western Australia 6100, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Family Blockbuster
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Burswood
Margaret River
“Not Worthy of a 5 Star Rating.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed at the Metropol for the 2012 WA Tourism Awards. Upon expecting a high standard, we were very disappointed with the level of cleanliness and overall value for money.
At reception I was initially told that our room, a Luxe View King, was not available and that we would have to wait a few hours for availibility, even though the room was booked in advance with an early check-in.
After voicing my disappointment a room magically became available and after the check-in process we proceeded to the room. Once in the room we found that it was well below standard. The carpet and furnishings were dusty, marks from spilt drinks were on the main and side tables, there were water stains all over the bath, vanities, and bathroom floor, and marks on the sheets.
Being in the accommodation and tourism industry ourselves, we found the attention to detail and quality very lacking. We did not have time to address the issues, as we were running late for the awards.
During check-out at reception, I mentioned the standard of our room, to which the receptionist gave a very brief and condesending apology.
I filled out a feedback form and to date have not had a response from the hotel. This has reinforced to us that their level of customer service is poor and in bad need of an overhaul.
An exception to the level of customer service was the quality service provided by the doormen and concierge, of which we could not fault, both friendly and professional.
The overall experience, from an industry perspective, was very average and find the Metropol words "The Height of Luxury has Arrived" most bemusing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

523 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I spoke to several friends and family whom I'celebrated' xmas at the Atrium restaurant with. What a lacklustre,poor, un-christmas like experience. After spending many xmas celebrations at the Crown in the past, which were all great, this year lacked spirit and all round effort......especially from the staff. :((

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stayed at the Crown Metropol Perth Christmas Eve and was very impressed with the refurbishment of the hotel. Super comfortable beds, decent sized wall mounted TVs and friendly staff. Long line of guests for check-in, but 4 staff handled it all efficiently. Swimming pool area is lovely and gives the feel of being in a tropical resort. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Request higher floor because of Atrium noise and ask to overlook River. Hotel is very busy, so be t...
Perth, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Being from Perth the Casino (formerly Burswood / now Crown) is a great grown up stay. Many eateries and comfy accomodation make it relaxing and even more so now the pool area and surrounds have been redeveloped and rebranded. Pool is great for families, as are the surrounding river walks and proximity to the city but because of the casino it's not really a venue I'd recommend for families.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My aunty got a free room at Crown Metropol as she is a Pearl Room member so I cannot comment on the price and when something is free it's always a bit more enjoyable! Check in was a bit slow but it was a Friday afternoon. The room we stayed was a Twin smoking room (I think it's strange the hotel still does smoking rooms) as my aunty is a smoker - I would have chosen elsewhere. Luckily, the room didn't smell of smoke at all. The rooms are very nicely decorated, decent size, beds are quite comfy and the bathroom is really nice. There is a little mini fridge but considering a 1L bottle of Evian was $8.20 - we didn't even bother.

We did try the Merrywell for dinner however it was PACKED so we had to settle for in room dining. We got a burger with chips for $33 and some profiteroles for $20. The whole room service menu is overpriced and not a great selection considering. The food was very average however apart from the food court we didn't have much choice as everything else was booked out or too long a wait (understandable this time of the year - we normally would book ahead but it was a last minute thing).

The service we received from check in, to room service, to check out was always excellent. If I had an event on at the Casino or surrounds I probably would stay there again (depending on the price we got), however, I would plan well ahead in regards to dinner so I didn't have to settle. Unfortunately, we didn't get to use the pool but it looked amazing.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed here early December as it was a family member's special birthday and the stay plus dinner was a surprise.
Check in was reasonably fast and efficient albeit impersonal. Our room was very nice, clean, a good size - twin queen beds - very comfy, well stocked mini bar at usual hotel prices, lovely thick fluffy towels, robes weren't the (to me) too heavy towelling type, and a good sized bathroom with a great rain shower. A phone in the toilet cubicle was a bit bizarre. There was a deep bath which we didn't use, and the bathroom had frosted windows which slid open so you could have watched the flat screen tv from the bath.
We had a manicure at Isika Spa in the hotel, (probably a franchise) - I'd booked ahead of time, and after having had a phone call the night before to confirm the time, was a bit surprised to get a phone call just after we'd checked in, to ask us to come down early - no explanation was proffered. When I asked why, I was told someone had gone home ill, but during the manicure I got the impression that the manicurist just wanted to go home. At $79 for the 1/2 hour express, it certainly wasn't value for money.
We had cocktails in the Lobby Lounge bar - like everything at this hotel, pretty pricey but they were very good.
We'd initially decided to try the Merrywell pub for dinner - it's a separate building out the front of the hotel, but as we could barely even get into the courtyard, let alone the pub itself, and the noise was deafening, we settled on the Bistro Guillaume. They were fairly busy and we had no reservation, but they cheerfully found us a small (wobbly) table on the terrace overlooking the private pool area. The food was beautifully cooked, portions were generous and all efficiently served. I'm probably too fussy but I found the food marks on the waitress's shirt a bit off-putting - at these prices, this is not a casual burger bar.
A good night's sleep was had, although efforts to turn down the air conditioning were fruitless as it kept switching back to a preset temperature. Luckily it wasn't one of Perth's scorching days and nights.
Would I stay here again? Probably not. Nothing wrong in particular but I prefer smaller hotels where I feel my business is welcomed. Would I eat at Bistro Guillaume again? Most definitely.

Room Tip: As for a room as far from the lobby/atrium area as possbile.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed 3 nights to celebrate a birthday and anniversary. No problems with check in or out as others have reported perhaps because it was mid week. Room was all we expected, service and food throughout the resort was very good. Just one complaint - went to breakfast at the Atrium, $30 per head for continental which is average BUT when we asked for espresso, rather than filter, coffee we were told there'd be an extra charge and there was $5 per cup!! The full cost of a coffee in the lobby lounge. In what is promoted as a high class hotel this is just ludicrous penny pinching. Surely if you're paying $30 for breakfast you get whatever coffee you want? A small thing perhaps but this would influence my decision to stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crown Metropol Perth? Share your experiences!