“now crown / formerly burswood resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Metropol Perth

Save Saved
You added Crown Metropol Perth to your Saves list
Crown Metropol Perth
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Great Eastern Highway, Burswood, Western Australia 6100, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Family Blockbuster
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Burswood
Perth, WA
“now crown / formerly burswood resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Being from Perth the Casino (formerly Burswood / now Crown) is a great grown up stay. Many eateries and comfy accomodation make it relaxing and even more so now the pool area and surrounds have been redeveloped and rebranded. Pool is great for families, as are the surrounding river walks and proximity to the city but because of the casino it's not really a venue I'd recommend for families.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

489 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My aunty got a free room at Crown Metropol as she is a Pearl Room member so I cannot comment on the price and when something is free it's always a bit more enjoyable! Check in was a bit slow but it was a Friday afternoon. The room we stayed was a Twin smoking room (I think it's strange the hotel still does smoking rooms) as my aunty is a smoker - I would have chosen elsewhere. Luckily, the room didn't smell of smoke at all. The rooms are very nicely decorated, decent size, beds are quite comfy and the bathroom is really nice. There is a little mini fridge but considering a 1L bottle of Evian was $8.20 - we didn't even bother.

We did try the Merrywell for dinner however it was PACKED so we had to settle for in room dining. We got a burger with chips for $33 and some profiteroles for $20. The whole room service menu is overpriced and not a great selection considering. The food was very average however apart from the food court we didn't have much choice as everything else was booked out or too long a wait (understandable this time of the year - we normally would book ahead but it was a last minute thing).

The service we received from check in, to room service, to check out was always excellent. If I had an event on at the Casino or surrounds I probably would stay there again (depending on the price we got), however, I would plan well ahead in regards to dinner so I didn't have to settle. Unfortunately, we didn't get to use the pool but it looked amazing.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed here early December as it was a family member's special birthday and the stay plus dinner was a surprise.
Check in was reasonably fast and efficient albeit impersonal. Our room was very nice, clean, a good size - twin queen beds - very comfy, well stocked mini bar at usual hotel prices, lovely thick fluffy towels, robes weren't the (to me) too heavy towelling type, and a good sized bathroom with a great rain shower. A phone in the toilet cubicle was a bit bizarre. There was a deep bath which we didn't use, and the bathroom had frosted windows which slid open so you could have watched the flat screen tv from the bath.
We had a manicure at Isika Spa in the hotel, (probably a franchise) - I'd booked ahead of time, and after having had a phone call the night before to confirm the time, was a bit surprised to get a phone call just after we'd checked in, to ask us to come down early - no explanation was proffered. When I asked why, I was told someone had gone home ill, but during the manicure I got the impression that the manicurist just wanted to go home. At $79 for the 1/2 hour express, it certainly wasn't value for money.
We had cocktails in the Lobby Lounge bar - like everything at this hotel, pretty pricey but they were very good.
We'd initially decided to try the Merrywell pub for dinner - it's a separate building out the front of the hotel, but as we could barely even get into the courtyard, let alone the pub itself, and the noise was deafening, we settled on the Bistro Guillaume. They were fairly busy and we had no reservation, but they cheerfully found us a small (wobbly) table on the terrace overlooking the private pool area. The food was beautifully cooked, portions were generous and all efficiently served. I'm probably too fussy but I found the food marks on the waitress's shirt a bit off-putting - at these prices, this is not a casual burger bar.
A good night's sleep was had, although efforts to turn down the air conditioning were fruitless as it kept switching back to a preset temperature. Luckily it wasn't one of Perth's scorching days and nights.
Would I stay here again? Probably not. Nothing wrong in particular but I prefer smaller hotels where I feel my business is welcomed. Would I eat at Bistro Guillaume again? Most definitely.

Room Tip: As for a room as far from the lobby/atrium area as possbile.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed 3 nights to celebrate a birthday and anniversary. No problems with check in or out as others have reported perhaps because it was mid week. Room was all we expected, service and food throughout the resort was very good. Just one complaint - went to breakfast at the Atrium, $30 per head for continental which is average BUT when we asked for espresso, rather than filter, coffee we were told there'd be an extra charge and there was $5 per cup!! The full cost of a coffee in the lobby lounge. In what is promoted as a high class hotel this is just ludicrous penny pinching. Surely if you're paying $30 for breakfast you get whatever coffee you want? A small thing perhaps but this would influence my decision to stay again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

After 2 years of searching for a good business hoitel in Perth, it was a welcom relief to stay at the Crown Metropol at Burswood. Room was large, newly refurbished, comfortable bed, brand new linens and towells, huge bath and separate rain shower. Rate was about $380 / night so still not cheap but far cheaper than many other hotels I have stayed at in Perth and much more comfortable. Service was exceptional and what you would expect from a Crown hotel. Downside was delays at check in and check out - all computers were staffed but it is a busy hotel so be prepared to wait 10 - 15 minutes in the que to either check in or out.

Has a good selection of restaurants within the complex - Rockpool, Nobe, Bistro Guillame (all very expensive though) as well as several others which offer a choice of fancy or informal dining.

Main downside is that there is nothing else in the vicinity so unless you have a car or catch a taxi there is no where else to go, but overall a nice hotel with great service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We arrived at 4.30 on Friday afternoon and were amazed at the queue to check in. Accepting the time of year its not a good look.
Our room was lovely although I think we would go for the 9th floor with the club room next time.
We asked for an upgrade at check in and we were offered a loft room at an extra $400!! Surely upgrades dont cost more?
We had dinner in the Italian which was really excellent having had a restful day around the stunning pool.
A little suprised to discover that the daybeds have to be reserved way ahead of stay and they cost extra too!!

The Atrium, as ever was superb although some of the guests clearly dont know how to behave or control children; perhaps a stricter dress code should be applied too, as it is in similar hotels in Singapore etc...
Anyway, a lovely decadent weekend and one I shant forget. It was a fabulous way to celebrate my 55th birthday

Room Tip: go high up, the views are great towards the city
Perth Western Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed in a Luxe King Spa room. The new fit out was nice, but not spectacular, for the price tag of $505 per night.
Club lounge pre-dinner drinks and canapes were very nice and staff were very efficient, however there was no evidence of the "all day refreshments" advised in our booking.
The club lounge was empty at 3pm, apart from someone at the reception, and no drinks or coffee were to be seen, not even water.
So, we went back to our room and paid $8.20 for a litre bottle of water.
The pool area was very nice, but I was surprised that there was no roaming bar service in the pool area. You have to go to the bar, order and collect your drinks and carry them to your lounges....sorry, not 5 star service. The towels were also way too small and smaller than the bath towels that I use at home For the price tag, I expected thick, large plush towels.
At $505 for a room (not a suite), I would expect complimentary water in the room.
We had room service beverages...very quick service, so good point here.
i was also surprised, having paid $505 for a room, to then have to pay a surcharge for using my credit card when checking out...have never had to pay a surcharge on hotel accommodation before.
We have travelled extensively and this stay overall was very expensive and disappointing compared to many hotels in Asia, as well as the Intercontinental in Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide.
If this hotel wants to be considered 5 star, it needs to lift its game.
Dinner at Nobu was fantastic. The food was sublime. So, although expensive, it was worth every dollar.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crown Metropol Perth? Share your experiences!