“The best museum I've been to - but don't take your phone in!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Attractions in Hawkinge
Type: Specialty Museums, Museums
Dover, United Kingdom
39 attraction reviews
“The best museum I've been to - but don't take your phone in!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This really is the best museum I've visited - and if you're interested in the Battle of Britain, the planes of the Battle of Britain and more importantly the men who flew the planes, this is an absolute must - and the best value for money you'll find.

Well done to whoever has carried out the research - it's amazing that every fragment of plane has a story to tell, some sad, some not so, but everyone a tribute to the (mainly young) brave men. Not only that, having the accompanying photos of those pilots concerned is excellent. The Museum offers a balanced view. Volunteers are cheery, knowledgeable and very helpful.

There are many signs to say No cameras, No phones. What harm can a phone do? I couldn't see a problem. I had no intention of taking photos - I could understand the security problems, particularly as there had been 'thefts by photos' in the past. I didn't believe any phones could trigger the alarms - until my phone did. Needless to say, I was embarrassed. Apologies to the staff I didn't believe.

• Polish first
Berkshire
4 attraction reviews
“A Must Do Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

An absolutely fantastic museum run by very friendly and helpful staff . spent about 2.5 hours her and could have spent a lot longer ! There is so much to see and read its hard to do it all in one visit . There are so many exhibits and relics from perhaps our county's finest moment it is mind boggling . The most amazing thing though is the personal stories and photos of the brave men who fought the Battle of Britain . The research that has gone into these stories is awe inspiring and everyone should visit this museum to pay homage to the people who stopped us being invaded by the Nazis ! Even my partner who is not usually interested in this type of thing was amazed . Her comment was " The Best Museum I Have Ever Been To "

UK
“Nice Museum but don't take your phone!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

A great museum at a fair price and a credit to those that have assembled and researched memorabilia over the years. Only one complaint. Beware of taking your mobile phone - they have a real hang up about them. Whatever the reasons behind it, I can appreciate them not wanting people to take photos but I did not appreciate people being told that their phones would set the alarms off even if switched off. Always a big mistake to treat people like idiots!! I was not prepared to leave a £400 phone in my car or drop it in a bag for the staff to look after. Strangely, I kept it with me and it didn't set the alarms off ... and I didn't take pictures. Feeding people on bull**** tends to cast doubt over the integrity of the place. A little trust would have been far more appropriate. Having said that, it's well worth a visit but be prepared for lies if you try to take your phone with you.

Visited June 2013
Rainham Kent
“They must never be forgotten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This museum will ensure that our brave lads who defended our skies over South East England in "The Battle of Britain" will never be forgotten. The amount of work that has been put in by the staff together with their enthusiasm and knowledge has to be commended. There is too much to mention so just go and see for yourself why we should appreciate our freedom made possible by all the men and women in the second world war that made the ultimate sacrifice. About 3 miles from the museum is the "The National Memorial to the Few" at Capel-le-Ferne the site at Capel-le-Ferne is dedicated to Churchill’s famous “Few” who fought in the skies overhead to keep this country free from invasion.
The Memorial Wall lists the names of all those who took part in the Battle of Britain, while a replica Spitfire and Hurricane stand nearby as a reminder of the iconic machines they flew to victory. There is also a nice little coffee and gift shop.

9 attraction reviews
“battle of britain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

we saw the spitfires tat were in the battle of britain and a figure of bob the dog that belonged to the squadron there were lots of things tosee if anyone is interested in that

Visited June 2013