“Quality pub food at a reasonable price” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Quality pub food at a reasonable price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Arrived at 8pm on a Wednesday evening having been unable to book a table but having been told that if we arrive promptly there will be be a table available -there was 10 of us! Table available as promised and the restaurant was busy. We sat at our table and having all decided what we wanted then wrote our order on a sheet of paper(provided together with a pencil) and gave it to the bar staff. Rather strange but I suppose it saves on staff. We had 2 courses and all our party were really pleased with their meal. Good quality interesting food well cooked and at a very reasonable price. We will certainly return in spite of the 55 minute drive from home.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

92% Recommend
Essex UK
“Not my worst dining experience, but a long way from my best.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Had a table booked so arrived in good time, table wasn't ready, no probs so had a glass of wine and waited, within ten minutes we were called to the table which has a peculiar ordering theme whereby you are handed a sheet from an order pad and you write down your order and place it at the bar? different! waiting time was acceptable given that the restaurant was at capacity for a Saturday evening, this place is somewhere between a pub and a restaurant and calls itself a bistro. Looking at the menu there was little to get excited about so I opted for the rump steak and chips, (which I specified that I would like medium cooked) after a wait of around 25 mins a waitress approached our table to advise that one of the choices was off the menu because they had ran out! (this was the first sitting!) soon after my steak chips and onion rings arrived, the steak was so undercooked that it literally oozed red blood and made me feel quite sick, the onion rings were raw once you bit into them but the chips seemed fine enough. The desert menu was both uninspiring and bland to say the least, and my near raw steak experience mean't that a desert was not on my menu ! value wise around £15.00 for steak and chips does not represent good value to me, the wine is around £13.95 for a rather bland French which lacks sophistication up to around £21.00 for something more exciting, (did not opt for this) Ambience? with every table full it was akin to the school canteen at lunchtime with so much noise it was near impossible to converse with someone across the table. Cleanliness was good, as was the service of the waitresses, can't knock those two, value wise? to me it leaves a lot to be desired, but that's not unusual for the location, I have found some of the most extortionate prices anywhere within this region, which I find strange given the poor salaries paid around here ?

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Colchester, United Kingdom
“A great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We visited the Fox today for Sunday lunch. Having read the reviews we got there early but needn't have done so as, whilst busy, service was slick. The food was really great and we very much enjoyed the Sunday roast rather more than another one I commented a couple of months ago and which we certainly did not. At the Fox, the bill for a comparable meal was only two thirds but the quality was at least as good if not much better. The beef was tender, tasty and in plenty. Freshly cooked vegetables and freshly cooked roast potatoes etc were great. Well done Fox. We will be calling again

• Visited June 2013
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Great for Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Been here a few times and the food is always good. You can't book but it never takes too long to get a table even when busy and when they tell you how long the wait could be they're usually pretty accurate. The bar area is very pleasant and the beer is great so don't mind waiting a short while!
The beef on the Sunday lunch menu was spot on and everything quite reasonably priced.

• Visited May 2013
East Anglia,England
“Good Food at Good Prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Arrived about 7pm very busy, as you cannot book tables,got a table for four, ordered our meal, service friendly and prompt . Excellent food freshly cooked,well presented,with good value wine list.Order your food and drinks at the bar-system works well, All courses with out fault,will come back again.This is a privately owned resturant.

• Visited May 2013