“Italian With A Twist” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
West Bloomfield, Michigan
“Italian With A Twist”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Due Venti is a special place - operated by a couple with passion for food and service. It's located in an unassuming suburb of Detroit and not where you would anticipate finding a destination restaurant. Yet it works. The decor is light and airy filled with pictures and pieces from the couple's family collectables. Tables are set nicely. It's small (around a dozen tables inside and a few on an outside patio that can be used seasonally weather permitting). The food is excellent. Choices are from a seasonally changing menu - and in a sign of detailed attention, it is limited in size. And then they do their preparations with a twist. We began with a delightful green bean salad, done with a light herbed oil and topped with a poached egg; a surprisingly good combination. Understanding that Italian cuisine is the preparation - we've have it world-wide, means that you can use different ingredients not necessarily found in Italy. We were recently in Australia and had the wonderful experience of the delectable fish barramundi; here it was prepared perfectly and served over white beans; the Pacific red snapper again cooked perfectly and served over a pesto inspired risotto; flatbreads with prosciutto nicely done. Wines nicely paired available by glass or bottle. Service attentive and professional. A place to dine - take your time - in the Italian style.

• Visited July 2013

Berkley, Michigan
“Different, rewarding dining experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I found this restaurant, which is less than 5 miles from my home, on trip advisor after deciding I was tired of "the usual." My sister in law and I headed out, and the restaurant was all that was promised and more. Service and quality are what due venti must mean.

We sat outside in the garden, and when I was just about to cry uncle because the umbrella wasn't blocking the hot sun, the waitress offered to move it for me (it was on wheels though you coudln't tell). It was part of an "all about you" attitude at this place. We had a wine she recommended that had a blend with Amorne (spelling?) grape it in and it was delicious - again, better than the "usual cab". We split a house salad - delicious - everything is locally grown and/or handmade in house, even the pasta. My sister in law had the sea bass which she said was great (I'm allergic to fish) and I had the braised short ribs - very good - served over a beautiful risotto. We didn't do desert because we'd had enough food. Our waitress (Genvieve?) was attentive and helpful without being overbearing or controlling. Look forward to going back and trying other dishes - the gnocchi looked fabulous as well. It is a seasonal menu designed to leverage Michigan's local agriculture industry. I highly recommend it.

• Visited July 2013
Rochester, Michigan, United States
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I went to dinner at due venti. We had heard about the restaurant from a friend and wanted to try. It is not a big restaurant, and the seating area had a cozy atmosphere. We ordered the calamari appetizer, and we very much enjoyed it. It was very fresh tasting. I ordered the sea bass and my girlfriend ordered the lamb. Both dishes were delicious and very fresh tasting. For dessert we ordered a caramel gelato with smoked sea salt. It was one of the best desserts I have ever had.

The service was very nice. The people are friendly. But it is a leisurely dinner. We were there for over two hours. We were not in a hurry so for us it was nice.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Clawson, Michigan, United States
“Romantic dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This food was amazing great place for a romantic dinner. The outdoor seating is wonderful and downtown clawson has really improved

Visited June 2013
Detroit, Michigan
“Reminds me of the "Slow Food Movement" & a note about wines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Excelent dinner. For appetizers we had the squid which was poached and light and came with delicious garrnishes, the cauliflower fritters, and the white anchovies which were fresh and tart, we loved them. Portions were enough to share with another person.

For entrees we chose the rabbitt, the short rib which was one large rib perfectly cooked almost fall of the bone but was caramelized and crunchy on the outside, by far the best short rib we've tasted,
and the Barramundi. I thought this was well prepared and very good but not exciting yet my companions liked it .The skin was seared to a crunch but the flesh was moist and tender.
Next time i'll order something else.

We had the caramel-fennel ice cream, never tasted ice cream that was so special, and lemon tart which I found a tad dry.

Now, about the wines. I found the wine list hard because the whites and reds are together and go in progression, white to red. They are on the expensive side with more bottles well over $50. and few below. I was looking for white but the cheaper ones were Chardonay which I don't like and I this was taking a lot of time so we ordered the French Brut bubbly for $45. ( and it was my birthday) It was OK at first, undistingished, an every day table wine but fine and we didn't give it much thought but by the time the entree arrived the wine had turned sort of sweet and it became a turn-off. A decent Brut champagne or cava should remain crisp, retain a few bubbles for at least a while and pair well with fish but this was not the case. I noticed that other tables were having a drink rather than wine and the portions seemed generous, perhaps they knew something I didn't.
Dessert wines on the list were many and priced well. My husband ordererd something called Saronno for $7. It was good but nothing memorable, fine for the cost.

We liked that the service is good, the ambiance is quiet and you can enjoy conversation in a relaxing environment. After we were seated the server asked if we wanted to pace our dinner with leisure which I thought was great. We will defitely go back but may order a drink rather than wine.
The check for 3 was around $175. before taxes.

• Visited May 2013