“Came with friends avoid this place at all costs” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Doherty Hotel

Doherty Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Clare
Doherty Hotel
You added Doherty Hotel to your Saves list
604 North McEwan Street, Clare, MI 48617   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Clare
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Came with friends avoid this place at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

Rooms are dated dirty and old section is small. Moved to clean room found dirty sheets and trash beside bed. Pool was cold and wierd people just stared at my kids while they swam. It didn't seem safe. Staff seemed rude but maybe they just were tired of everyone complaining I was fourth in line and no one was happy. Seems to be a trend. From now on I will be staying in a national brand who at least has standards

Room Tip: Ask for new section it was build in the seventies and at least it has a bathroom
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Smithville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times and found it to be the best one in the local area. It is a historic hotel that three generations of my family has stayed. The older rooms are dated but the newer rooms are very nice with plenty of room and comfortable. The restaurant has very good food but could improve their service. Not enough staff.
I have hosted two class reunions from a nearby town and have been very satisfied with the accomadations and service, planning one for next year at this Hotel.
I would recamend this hotel if you are in the Clare, Mi. Area.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newer rooms
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

It comes down to customer service. They just do not care and it shows. They need to invest in beds furnishings. I approached the desk two men in ties two ladies all looked at me and turned their heads. That's right they just ignored me. Finally one of the men saidisn't anyone go to help this person? They checked me into a room little bigger than a closet. When I saw it I went back down stated three people can't even fit in this room. the woman laugh at me and said that was funny. They moved me to a different room. When i checked out they had charged me double.The facility itself was old which i hoped meant classy but it just meant old dirty and done for. I had some questions during my stay called the desk no one even answered. Went down to the desk for help several times 9 out of ten times no one was there and the tenth time they just ignored everyone. Saw some staff throughout the hotel - and no one ever said hello to or even acknowledged us. We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant nothing special but it didn't suck. Our waitress then was good but when we asked if the hotel part of service was like this all the time she just said yes and suggested their competitor.

Room Tip: ask for a room that is bigger than a closet
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I want to rate it higher but the staff was just not on their game with customer service. The registration or reception desk is also the cashier area for the restaurant. We got there and there were 3 girls standing at the cashier part and on one said hello to us or welcomed us. We stood there for minutes (it felt like a lot longer, we were tired and just wanted to check in). Finally, one of the 3 looked at us and said it would be a moment. I would not have been irritated if someone had said that to us when we walked in, or if it was one employee, but there were 3 of them and we were ignored for a long time before addressed. The facility itself was older which is fine with us so I would not have given a lesser rating based on that, of course a brand new hotel will have nicer rooms. But we were okay with it all because we knew itw as an older hotel but customer service and friendliness should be standard. I also tried to call the front desk to ask about breakfast and it rang and rang and no one picked up, I tried 3 times before someone answered. Saw some staff throughout the hotel - and no one ever said hello to us. We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant and it was good and our waitress then was good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

My husband and i stayed overnight for a golf getaway. We stayed in the JFK room, which was very nice, clean, and all the ammenities. We found the service to be great, however there was a brand new girl at the desk, and she missed giving us some of the things that came with our package (drink coupons, breakfast coupons, golf vouchers). Good thing we asked later and they were given to us. What we really enjoyed was the food in the restaurant. Outstanding. I wish we lived closer as we would certainly eat there more often. The waitress in the restraunt was also new, and really she was terrible. She was friendly though, give her credit for that. So, overall, we really enjoyed our short stay...facilities are older but lots of nostalgia and we enjoy that.

Room Tip: pay a little more for the JFK room, it is worth it.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Gaylord
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Excited to see the dining room renovations nearing completion and the addition of a new dining space and patio dining area!

The historic hotel is quaint and there are a lot of great stories to hear, the food is great and is homemade, the menu has a wonderful variety for whatever your craving - but beyond all of this - the staff and Doherty family - are wonderful. It is great to see a family owned operation that still cares about the details!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Wonderful room, great food, outstanding service. The food is incredible.

Room Tip: Rooms on the West side are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Doherty Hotel? Share your experiences!