“Step back in Time with large portions” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Gladstone, Michigan
“Step back in Time with large portions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stopped here for lunch during our color tour of the area. Had no idea what to expect when walking up to the 100+ year old hotel building. Going inside was like returning to the olden days, when you were greeted coming in, seated and served with a smile. Tunes of Frank Sinatra and Jimmy Durante playing on the stereo was nostalgic. Even the furniture and fixtures sent me back to an earlier time. The waitress explained they have organic meats from a nearby farm and everything is locally grown or bought. Even my tea was organic! All four of our lunches were huge and we had a hard time to finish. The 1/2 pound burger was so huge it was almost unmanageable with 2 hands. The baked apples were so tasty. (They were all out of the homemade applesauce) The maple milk shakes yummy. No complaint from any of us, we had fantastic meals. They even sell Trenary Toast here for the road. Would definitely recommend this place to any travelers. The few extra dollars you'll spend here will give you a very good all fresh meal. The staff was so nice. The only downside I can see is parking, it is in back or on the side with no clear spaces and yes some of the traffic is quite noisy. It is on an intersection after all even if this is a small town. Thanks for a great nostalgic meal. Wished more restaurants would have service and food this good at this price.

• Visited October 2013

Ann Arbor
“Wow - wow - wow -”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

First of all I by accident found this restaurant. Boy am I glad I did. This is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. Small - owner seats, waits, cooks. All fresh ingredients. Salad fresh from the garden - dressing - home made - sirloin - grass fed organic. White fish - crazy good. Do't get me started on the bread pudding. Bread pudding - I hate bread pudding - Drop dead - the best dessert I have ever had. Put this on the top of your UP list.

• Visited October 2013
Medina, Ohio
“Wonderful adventure in dining!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Picked this place because of Trip Advisor reviews. When we visited they were winding down for the season and we were the only table but they cooked up a vegan meal for me and a vegetarian meal for my friend and entertained us while they cooked. A bit of a drive from Munising but worth it! Great food and very quaint! Loved it

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

OK, so it is a bit out of the way, and bear in mind it is a seasonal opening place...but make the trip. Soy milkshakes (a rarity and SO good), fresh meaty burgers and whitefish to die for. I ate so much of the fish I couldn't manage any pudding which is a regret as the cheesecake was excellent! I wish we had found it on our first night - we'd have been here every night.
The server was great and the chef came out for a chat too - fascinating guy. I hope they continue to do well, as this place is a gem.

Traverse City
“Stellar food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This Upper Peninsula gem is well worth the trip if you're anywhere around Munising.

Do what we did and start with milkshakes. One maple and one cherry blossom. They were unique and incredibly good.

Burgers from local beef come in quarter or half-pound versions with a number of options. The blue cheese and bacon turned out to be a good choice. The bun comes from a nearby bakery.

Jodee had the BLT on limpa bread, which is a Swedish light rye. If you're thinking a BLT sounds good don't hesitate to get this one.

We both opted for the baked potato soup as a side. It was rich and creamy and leaned more toward a casserole than a soup, which is a good thing.

They make the desserts. Bread pudding and cheesecake when we were there. They, alone, are worth the trip.