“Stay somewhere else if you have the option” 2 of 5 stars

AmericInn Lodge & Suites Charlevoix
11800 US 31 N, Charlevoix, MI 49720   |
Ranked #3 of 8 hotels in Charlevoix
Chicago, IL
“Stay somewhere else if you have the option”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2008

The AmericInn is your basic budget hotel, so I wouldn't be writing a negative review if it met my expectations as just that. However, I had a negative experience from beginning to end. Each and every day of my five-day stay, noticeable aspects of my room cleaning were neglected, from coffee pots and trash cans unemptied to tissues and wrappers left on counters to sinks unwiped. The last straw was my final day when the room was not cleaned at all, save for the bed being made. When I alerted the desk clerk to the situation, she verified which housekeeper was responsible for the room, said "Aha" and acknowledged that she was known for not being very thorough. No efforts were made to accomodate or compensate for my poor experience. Breakfast, such as it was, lacked freshness and quality. I will not return.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

141 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lansing, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2007

I stayed here for a wedding in Charlevoix. It was just fine for the price- but as others stated, not luxary. There were lots of older relatives there for the wedding. I was very worried about the fact that there was no elevator and I saw some pretty precarious maneuvers on the stairs. Breakfast was also nothing fancy, but good. This si right across the stree from the bike/hike trail that runs along Lake MI. It looks like it would fun to bring bikes here.

• Liked — location, price, clean
  • Disliked — no elevator for older folks on 2nd floor
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
West Branch, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

I heard about this website through a friend and decided to come on and post a comment. I was surprised to find negative reviews on here and I do not want other reader's to be discouraged by them. We were not very familiar with the area and the staff was beyond helpful, even advising us of alternate routes due to road construction. The breakfast has a huge variety and was very well maintained. Our room was large and clean, but the friendliness of the staff by far made our trip. I am sure if the guest that wrote the long review in regards to his issues with the hotel would have talked to the staff, they would have made them right ASAP. We will stay here every time we come to Charlevoix.

• Liked — Outstanding staff
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

I stayed at the hotel over the Labor Day weekend, Friday, August 31 through Monday, September 3, 2007

I booked a smoking room (didn't have any non-smoking available) through their website at a reasonable rate for Up North Michigan, especially in the Charlevoix area.

The Hotel is located about a couple miles from Downtown Charlevoix, next to a church. It's a small place, around fifty rooms on two floors with no elevators to the second floor. So if you have some heavy luggage, good luck!

Check in is at 3:00. I attempted to check in around 11:00. I was very humble at check in. Knowing that check in is at 3:00, I did ask if their were any rooms available now for check in. The person was very snotty saying that my room was availabe but if I wanted to check in early, there would be a $25.00 charge. I asked if the room was available, why would there be a $25.00 charge especially since I was paying for the room for three days? She said that their staff was busy cleaning rooms and that often people want to change rooms once they check in and they can't handle early check in.

Especially with the Michigan economy, you would think that they would try to be as accomodating as possible. I never had any hotel try to clip me for an early check in fee. If the room was available, I could be able to check in without an additional charge. If it wasn't, no problem since I know that check in is at 3:00 but to try to rip you off for $25.00 puts a bad taste in your mouth. I said no thanks, I'll check in at 3:00.

Returning at 3:00, I finally checked in to my smoking room. I knew it was going to be bad since I could smell the smoke in the hallway leading up to my room. Once I opened the door, the room smelled awful! It was the most disgusting smoke smell that I ever encountered, worst than any bar. It might have been good that they had this smoke smell as it covers up any dog smell as they allow pets at this place.

But if you thought it could get any better, WRONG! How can they screw up breakfast. Easy. I had their boiled eggs. It was brown inside. The bagels were stale.

They ran out of gravy for the biscuit and gravy which they never replaced so you had to look at dried up gravy on the bottom of the slow cooker the whole time.

At check out, they try to hide the amount they charge by not itemizing the charges. I asked for an itemization and they had a charge for the safe in the room that I never used. No biggie there but don't try to hide your charges by not providing an itemized accounting as only crooks do that.

While they did not ruin my stay in Charlevoix, it was not an enjoyable experience staying at the Americinn. As the prices are reasonable for Charlevoix and I cannot afford a "cottage" on Lake Charlevoix or staying at one of the better hotels near the Bridge, I probably will stay there again as I do like the Charlevoix area unless some new hotel chain open up nearby.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Mostly everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Grand Rapids, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

This hotel is good if looking for economy. It was rather noisy and staying by the ice machine didn't help. The breakfast was good and the children enjoyed making their own waffles. The pool was a tad hot to be refreshing. Not the place to stay if looking for elegance and romance, but with the kids, it was just fine.

Stayed July 2007

Been to AmericInn Lodge & Suites Charlevoix? Share your experiences!