“Wantabe” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Grey Gables Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 43 Restaurants in Charlevoix
Cuisines: Eclectic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: US 31
Hamilton, Michigan
“Wantabe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is an old house that is very quaint in the front with a nice bar with a Piano and a back dining room. It has a very old fashion décor that gives the feeling of being drawn back in the 1920's.

We had reservations and we were seated immediately, however, it took over 10 minutes for the assistant waiter go bring over just a glass of water and the head waiter also did not check back in a timely matter. The service made me feel like I was in a dinner that was overbooked. If I am paying for service and ambiance, I expect it.

My wife had the Walleye while I had Prime rib while both were good, but something was missing - flavor! Most of the flavors were very limited; which was funny since the Walleye was supposed to be Cajun. The bread and sides were good but not great. Also we were very disappointed they did not feature local wines since there are so many great wines from Michigan from to chose.

This was not a bad choice but since there are many other great places in Traverse City, Petoskey Harbor Springs and surrounding area that you should seek other places due to cost and service. All I can say is they wanted to be something they were not trained to be.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

Florida
“Expensive but nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We ate at the Grey Gables twice over the summer. We found it to be on the expensive side but that was offset by the nice atmosphere, good service and good food. It's a white table cloth restaurant which makes for a very nice setting.

We have found the food to be very good but not outstanding. I feel that the prices are high for what they offer. The duck, for instance, was a few cut pieces of breast on the plate instead of a half a duck like most restaurants serve. While it looked pretty it left me wanting more but cost $27.

We would recommend this restaurant, although we feel Terry's would be a better choice.

On Tuesday's the Grey Gables offers a hamburger and a beer for $7 all day and night. We did not partake in this special but have friends that have and say it is a bargain.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Clifton, Virginia
“Decades of great food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

First I would note on the TripAdvisor listings that this is really #2 for dinner spots in Charlevoix. Most most of the top listings are cafes and deli places while this, Esparance and Staffords (and some others) are dinning resaurants.

Overall GG is more about the dining experience in old resort style than about food or anything else. The food is always very good but never in the outstanding category. We do eat here often when in town and we like the atmosphere and service along with the good food. Always good are the whitefish and other lake fishes, the prime rib is my favorite. I don't think there is a bad item on the menu. The salad "wedge" is very good. They have a decent wine list covering most price ranges. Service is always good, they have enough people to clear and attend. The rooms is a convered house on one side (quaint) and there are more tables on the other side of the bar.

They often have live music, it is usually cheesy but it recalls a time when resorts were "resorts". Every time we eat at GG one person puts in a song request while someone else complains about the music. For me it would not be GG without the music. I first went there 400 years ago with Breezy at the piano and adults who knew what vaudeville and the Poccanos entertainment was like.

Reservations are needed.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Charlevoix, Michigan
“My Favorite Charlevoix Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Quaint, good food and good service. Not on the water and no real view but a great experience in dining. We have dined here often and never disappointed. Grey Gables is a large older house converted to a fine restaurant. I prefer to avoid the summer crowds and frequent the Grey Gables during the off season - it is a popular tourist restaurant and for good reason. I recommend a table on the enclosed porch if available.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

nice meal. enjoyed it. great service. enjoyed the ribs and walleye. loud table next to us, but managers very attentive.

Visited July 2013