“Reasonable Cost and Good Location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Canton
Wisconsin
“Reasonable Cost and Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at this Super 8 while passing through the Detroit area. Our plan was to visit The Henry Ford & Greenfield Village. For this visit, the location at the intersection of Michigan Avenue & I-275 was very good. It was only about 20 minutes from the museum.
We felt the facility was adequate. The Hotel could use a face-lift. Our room probably could have used a dusting. The manager was very friendly and helpful. We would have no qualms about staying here again..

Room Tip: Select a top floor, AWAY from the traffic..
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Pleasant View, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

I seriously want to like Super 8, so I give them a try every so often, and every time I am disappointed no matter what the location. I stayed at this Super 8 specifically because of the ratings on TripAdvisor. After staying at it, I seriously don't understand why it's so highly rated, it should be at the very bottom of the list for Canton, MI...and near the bottom for the entire Detroit metro area.

The grounds are not well kept, which was my first signal of trouble as I drove into the lot. Then as I walked in the door, I had to walk through smoke from 2 people smoking right outside the door (which gives me migraines). Once I got to the desk, I found no one was there. After a couple minutes, one of the smokers came in and turned out to be the person who was supposed to be covering the desk. She used a very annoying "sweetie" to greet me, instead of "sir" or "mister" or anything more respectful than a condescending "sweetie."

Throughout the building, I could not escape the scent of cigarette smoke, despite it being a "non-smoking" hotel.

My room was clean. However, it was poorly lit. After some investigating I discovered many of the lights did not have long enough cords to reach the nearest power outlet. I ended up having to rearrange furniture to get proper lighting. The beds were old, I could feel just about every spring, and the pillows were flat.

WiFi...yes, they have it but it doesn't work so don't bother trying.

Despite going down early for breakfast, about all they had was cereal. I could have done better walking to the nearest gas station.

In hindsight, I would have spent the extra $$$ to stay elsewhere. This hotel is not as good as the other positive reviews indicate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

My family stayed here one night. Hotel is just off the interstate but set back from the road, so very quiet. Rooms were clean and had many amenities. Good value. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Very nice family resturant next door. Breakfast included was more than we expected.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Canton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have been staying at the Super 8 in Canton, MI for about 3 weeks. I was here on business and am self-employed and have to pay for my stays. tony the manager and Jeanne at the desk have gone out of their way to accommadate me. They are always friendly and very helpful. Jeanne always helps me to get in the door as I am always carrying a lot. I am a priority club member and a Wyndom rewards customer and I believe that because of the service and houskeeping it is the best bang for my buck that I have found in some time.

Thanks Super 8 and thanks Tony for your attention to detail and home away from home attitude.

Terry stephens

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I've mentioned in previous reviews that it's unfair to compare a Mazda to a Maserati. I try to review hotel rooms "like to like"... and in that regard, this room is getting a good review. For the price paid, this was an excellent value.

This is an inexpensive place, and it's obviously a trucker favorite, simply based on the number of tractors and trailers parked here. The property is older, but everything that I needed to work, works. The shower put out plenty of hot water, the internet connection worked fine, and the ice machine put out plenty of ice without any annoying signs on it.

This property DOES have an elevator, just in case that wasn't obvious anywhere else. There is also a small guest laundry, which I did not try out, but it looked OK.

The air conditioner in the room -looked- beat up beyond hope... but it -worked- the way it was supposed to.

The bed was perhaps the "creakiest" one that i have ever laid on... but I was on the first floor anyway, so no one but me had to hear it, and it was comfy enough.

Yeah, the smoking area right outside the main doors was a bit annoying. I am allergic to cigarette smoke, and having to haul through there multiple times with my luggage was an experience, but I survived it.

Overall, the people were friendly, and the rooms were a good value for the money paid. I would hit this place again should I find myself doing the Novi show in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

The kids are older and we thought we'd try two rooms, but the Holiday Inn we normally stay at across the street was charging well over 160/nt for ONE room. This Super 8 is a better than average hotel for it's price, at less than half the price of the direct competition.

The staff tried very hard to make up for the slightly dingy ambiance (see below) with a well tended garden, and a hello every time we passed through the lobby or hall.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the continental breakfast was included, again it wasn't expected at this price.

The rooms were clean and the AC in the rooms worked great.

We were looking for a non-smoking room, and my only criticism would be the location of the smoking area just outside the front door. There is a very strong air conditioner drawing air from outside into the lobby and elevator area, creating an almost bar-like smoky haze. Either move the smoking area, or move the AC unit. But the combination makes the entire hotel smell dingy and suspicious.

Once you break through the haze and smell of the lobby, you'll find a very clean and well tended to hotel.

Room Tip: The floors are very thin so I'd try the top level unless you want to hear people walking around...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tony E, General Manager at Super 8 Canton/Livonia Area, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete you survey we are so glad that you had a pleasant stay in our property however I'm working on removing the smoking area to the side of tne building so the non smoker guest will be more comfortable coming throu the the lobby entrance. Thanks again for your survey. Have a super day!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stayed for 1 month at super eight. The customer service was one of the best I have seen in any hotel, even five star.
The rooms exceed my exception in the cleanness areas as I am very pickey.
The breakfast was very clean and neat and set up real nice every morning with what ever I asked for was provided.
I recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in this area.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Super 8 Canton/Livonia Area, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay at the super 8 canton. We assure you that your stay is super every time you stay. Thank you again for the survey

Been to Super 8 Canton/Livonia Area? Share your experiences!