“Always Great” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Cadillac
Oscoda, Michigan
“Always Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have been going to McGuires Resort for many years the last weekend of September and always look forward to going back every year. The rooms are comfortable and the staff is always helpful and the food is great except for the breakfast bar in the morning. That needs some work and even though it came with my room I chose to go to the Big Boy one morning instead. In all I would highly recommend this location and look forward to be going back next year but please fix the breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed here one night this week....Check in was fast and easy. Stayed for under $100 which I didn't think was bad. Have some nice amenities like the hot tub, pool, sauna, game room, lounge w/tv and fireplace. Went to the pool/hot tub a couple times and pretty much had them to ourselves. Also hung out and watched tv in the lounge by the fireplace which was nice. Room was adequete. Had the breakfast buffet which was included with the room. It wasn't anything great, but decent. Disappointed there were no waffles/pancakes as an option. There didn't seem to be many people staying mid week here. The Terrace room has nice views, but is dated. DIdn't eat at Curly's, but they do have all you can eat ribs during one week night or two which was tempting, but we weren't there that night. I didn't golf, but they did allow us to take a cart around to see the course. This would probably be a good place for a group of guys/friends wanting to get away to golf, play cards, eat and stay all at one place who are concerned about price. Overall, it's a decent place for what I paid I felt all things considered, but probably wouldn't be somewhere I'd be anxious to go back to.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Room was old but adequate. Breakfast was included but was with some work force that appeared to be working out of the resort. When we inquired about a menu, we were told there was a extra charge and that the menu was very limited. She told us we had to get our first cup of coffee and that she would refill it. Never stopped at our table again. Breakfast was a lukewarm Buffett. Used to have property nearby and have eaten there and stayed on golf packages several times over the years. Breakfast and dinner was always a delight with a beautiful view of the course. The only thing left is the view. Would not waste my money again. Stay down the road. Golf and eat at Eldorado. Nice course with good food.

Room Tip: First time staying in a couple of years. Rooms were old then and have not got any better.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Livonia, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I went to McGuire with another couple on a Group Golfer special. We had a room and 18 holes when we checked in and 18 the next day. We stayed for 1 night. Check in was fast because there wasn't a lot of activity on a Wednesday check in.

The golf course was nice with no complaints with it. The girl in the Pro-Shop was very friendly and helpful. Our tee times were flexible since it was a slower time of year which made it nice.

Now to the room. As I have read other reviews, the rooms are dated but seemed clean. Our TV wasn't a flat screen and just the a regular TV that most people are replacing these days. The bed was OK but the pillows were extremely uncomfortable and had a hard time sleeping.

We had dinner in the Terrace Room with a nice view of the golf course. It was a little expensive for what we got. The presentation totally lacked. When our food was bought it was on a small white plate that looked like you cooked it at home yourself. I had the whitefish that was good with a small baked potato, no vegetable was included which for the price they could have had a few pieces of broccoli or something with it. For the price it was disappointing. Our friends felt the same way. The steak was supposed to be with mushrooms but there were only maybe 2 or 3 mushrooms on it. The salad bar was good and the bean soup they had outstanding. Our waiter Tom was one of the best waiters we have had. He was right on top of things. Our water glasses were constantly full and he was back several times cleaning up and making sure all was good.

The pool and Jacuzzi was very nice and did enjoy going in after a day of golf.

The breakfast in the morning was OK, nothing out of the ordinary.

It wasn't somewhere that we all said we had to go back but like I said, it was acceptable. Just don't expect what you get when you go to other "resorts", it's just not as fancy as what you picture a "resort" to be.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
bshepa01, Front Office Manager at McGuire's Resort, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
We appreciate your review of our facility. I am glad to see that your experience with the golf went well and that your server (Tom) took very good care of you.
I am sorry that you felt the room and dinner were not up to par. We have changed our menu and we do appreciate feedback on all aspects of our offerings. I also understand your concerns about the hotel rooms. We have scheduled eighteen of our rooms to be renovated very soon. These renovations will cover everything in the room; pillows, mattresses, televisions, etc.
Please contact us the next time you are in the area. I would love to have you see the improvements being made at the Resort.

Bill Shepardson
Front Desk Manager
Oscoda, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Having stayed at McGuires several times over the past few years I can see the rooms showing some wear, like the peeling wallpaper in the bathroom. The service was generally good but when I mentioned there were a couple problems with my room all I got was a "sorry." No question about what the problems were. We were there for a conference and all of our meals were good and the service for them was fine.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I am sorry that the employee did not follow up with you about the issues you were trying to inform them about. Please contact me at your earliest convenience so we can discuss the issues you had. You can reach me at 1-800-632-7302.

Bill Shepardson
Front Desk Manager
Marquette, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My neice had her wedding and reception here and it was very well done. The rooms were not 5star but were comfortable and clean. Ours had a view of a wooded section of the golf course which was very nice. The wedding setting was in an open grassy field next to the golf course with white chairs and a large arbor which was pretty but the arbor could have used some flowers on it. The reception was under a large tarp with a cement floor and was next to the main building, so it was convenient to get to the restrooms. The food was good, the drinks were well mixed and had a large selection to choose from. The tables were nicely decorated and the DJ was good. The resort had a pool which we did not try, and several of the wedding guests played golf so it was an entertaining weekend. We also ate lunch and breakfast in their onsite restaurant, and the food was good and plentiful. There was a delay with the lunch, however, due to only 1 waitress who was also cooking. We later found out the cook had a death in the family and they were left short for that day. Overall this was a great place for a wedding, and if you golf it looks like a nice place to spend a few days.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Bought a golf weekend package on line. Arrived early and was invited to check in, play golf and pick up room key after. This set the tone for a fantastic, service oriented, great food golf week end. The course is lush and impecably maintained. The staff at the club house were as helpful and friendly as you would expect to find at the.best resorts. The course is both challenging and forgiving. Maybe it was just the Irish air but the trees helped me save more balls than I could count ( I am a social golfer). Signage on the course was easy to follow with only one or two exceptions.
Normally I would go into town to find a nice restaurant but we were so tired we decided to eat in the restaurant and were glad we did. The service was first rate with attention paid to every want, need and detail. Prices were very reasonable and the portions generous. Salad bar was extremely fresh and the food came out hot and perfectly prepared. The soup was a disappointment as there were few vegetables to be found in the vegetable soup. We had. I room for dessert but the tray was quite inviting.
The room was quite adequate. It ha newer mattresses which were on the firm side. The room was a bit outdated be immaculate. The linens were plush and oversize towels always get my attention. The inter room noise was non existent. Very nice.
The buffet breakfast was all freshly prepared with a nice assortment of breads and things. Eggs were delicious ( would love the recipe) and the bacon and sausage overflowed the serving dishes. Nice assortment of chilled juices and plenty of fresh hot coffee. Once seated the wait staff cares for all beverage refills and all were pleasant and professional.
With a wedding, and a business conference there was no degradation of service or friendliness. Just a wonderful experience all around. Will definitely be back next year and many more after that
Bob

• Stayed September 2013

Been to McGuire's Resort? Share your experiences!