“Our winter home away from home.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Buy 2, Get 3rd Half Off
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Cadillac
Detroit, Michigan
“Our winter home away from home.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have stayed several times in the last year. But it is this 2 night visit that I want to review specifically. From our first contact with Bill when making reservations, to the last phone call with the front desk for express checkout we were overly impressed with every staff member we came in contact with.
We are looking for a clean and reasonably priced place to sleep when not on the slopes. Cindy did a great job having a nice clean room waiting for us. A clean room is a high priority for us. The rooms are simple, but with comfy beds and pillows. The pool is okay, refreshing although the chemicals always seem a little off. The workout room had a little less equipment than we expected. We weren't too disappointed, since we stay active on the slopes. It is just over 20 minutes away from Caberfae Peaks. Breakfast is a hot continental that came with our room. A great start to our day without cutting into our budget. The staff working in the restaurant were great and did a great job of getting refills, meeting our needs and picking up our used dishes. What impressed me most was one of the waitresses, Nett I think, had the most cheerful personality. Her cheerfulness was a great start to our day. Her mood was contagious.
Although McGuires doesn't necessarily fit my definition of a luxury resort. It is a perfect fit for my family, and we have no plans to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2013
bshepa01, Front Office Manager at McGuire's Resort, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. We love to get feedback from our guests. I would also like to thank you for mentioning some specific people. I will make sure that they are aware that they did a good job.
I appreciate you letting us know your concerns with the pool and workout room. We do our best to keep the chemicals in balance so as not to affect our guests. We have also been discussing different options for our workout room. Your feedback as well as others allows us to see where we are doing well and where we need to improve.
Thank you again for keeping us informed on how we are doing. We hope to see you again soon.

Bill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

McGuire's has cross country ski trails (hilly) and snowshoe trails in their backyard (would make good sledding too!). It is 20 min from Caberfe and 45 min from Crystal Mountain (5 min from Lake Cadillac is you like ice fishing).

The room we had was very nice with new carpet, patio and a jetted tub (deluxe queen room). The pool, sauna and hot tub were great and connected to other buildings so you did not have to walk outdoors to get to it. We asked for an extra blanket and towel, and they were delivered promptly and cheerfully.

The breakfast was outstanding. It is served in the beautiful Terrace room overlooking the golf course with nicely set tables and friendly wait staff. Large variety of items (meats, eggs, breads, cereal, yogurt and fruit).

We cannot beleive it was so inexpensive. Would go back anytime.

Room Tip: the deluxe rooms have a kitchenette (counter with sink, frig) which probably makes them bigger, wort...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
bshepa01, Front Office Manager at McGuire's Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback! It looks like you had a great stay. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the winter activities that we have to offer. I'm also glad that you enjoyed the breakfast. We have been working on improving it, so the feedback is great.
Please think of us again the next time you visit the area. We look forward to seeing you.

Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I was really excited to find out that the hotel had pet friendly rooms, so we could bring our dog, I was horrified when we got in to our room to see the condition of it. The Pet friendly rooms are the rooms closest to the golf course and what I can guess are also the oldest and by far the most rundown. Although they had and advertise Wi-Fi I couldn't get it unless I was at the restaurant in that is located off the lobby. The carpeting was ripped up, the room smelled of wet dog, old school tiny TV, old ratty mattresses, and the worst thing was when we got back home I had flea bites and my dog had fleas that I had to contend with for the next two weeks. If you're staying here, don't bring your pet, and definitely ask for a room closer to the main office. It seems the farther you are away the older your building is and the worst shape its in.

Room Tip: "do not trust the "pet-friendly" rooms"
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
bshepa01, Front Office Manager at McGuire's Resort, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
We appreciate your feedback on the condition of our rooms. The pet friendly rooms are some of the most used rooms on our property and do need a renovation. Our property is under new management. They and ownership are working on a renovation plan to refresh our guestrooms. We have already taken some steps to help improve the rooms you mentioned. I would be open to discussing this with you further if you would like to contact me directly at 1-800-632-7302.

Jonesville, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Spent 2 nights at McGuire's Resort and was pleased with the accomodations. The room was clean, the TV had a lot of channels, the water was hot, the wireless internet was fast and free. I was satisfied with the breakfast choices. The staff I encountered.was friendly and helpful. The price was reasonable. McGuire's is a nice place to stay at a fair price. I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
bshepa01, Front Office Manager at McGuire's Resort, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Mike,
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad that everything with your stay was pleasant. We've been working hard to improve all that we do, from how the rooms are cleaned, to the interaction with our guests. It is nice to see that it is working.

Manhattan, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at McGuire's for a baptism in the family. Really loved our room - we happened to get a corner room, which I'm sure is just a random thing but we really enjoyed the view of the grounds. Comfy bed, very clean. Only thing we thought was weird was how the pool was forevvvver away. We almost didn't find it! Enjoyed the continental breakfast too. Only thing is, we felt REALLY young there. Like, senior couples everywhere at breakfast. Not that that's a problem - it was just that noticeable, haha. Would go back again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
bshepa01, Front Office Manager at McGuire's Resort, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thank you for your feedback about your stay. I'm glad you enjoyed your room, the breakfast and pool.
I understand your concern about the pool. We do have it centrally located on the property to try to make it easily accessible to everyone.
Hopefully you will have the chance soon, to come back and visit us again.

Elsie, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Arrived at resort around 1:30. Room wasn't quite ready, but within 10 minutes, they had me in my room. With this resort, there are several buildings separate from the main building. I was in Evergreen, room 158, which is right in the middle of a row of rooms. This is a single story unit, with a single row of rooms. There is an inside hallway to get to your room and every room looks out onto the golf course.

When I first walked into the room, I noticed an odd smell. I'm not exactly sure what it was. It wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't unbearable either. It might have been from some of their cleaning products, just don't know for sure. However, because of the smell, I did complete a thorough review of the room for cleanliness. Everything was nice and clean, even the window sills! Everything was functional (including all the light bulbs), though obviously an older unit. Refrigerator was very noisy, but it did work.

Room had 2 queen beds (I only tried one of them). As I do with all hotel rooms, I first checked for bedbugs before even sitting on the bed. I am happy to say there was no sign of them at all. The bed was hard, actually harder than I like, but I'm spoiled with my temperpedic bed so nothing measures up for me. Each bed had 2 pills, though there was an extra pillow and blanket in the closet area.

Normal hotel amenities in room. Fragrant soap, loation, shampoo. No shower cap. TV had cable, though reception was not the best quality. I really wasn't in the room enough to care though. Free WIFI. Seems like a small thing, but still not something you get everywhere, so this was nice. Clock radio worked.

I do have to say that the room was very noisey. You could easily hear all the doors in the whole unit being opened & closed, including the bathroom doors of the adjoining rooms. The refrigerator was noisey too, and woke me often during the night. While most hotels are noisy, I think this one might have been more so. I'm a pretty light sleeper so this was an issue for me.
Breakfast was included in my package (maybe included for everyone, not sure). A bit above your standard hotel "free" breakfast bar. Seating was in the dining room, with linen & real tableware, but it was help yourself. Breakfast included fruit (bananas, apples, oranges), grapefruit halfs, cold cereal, oatmeal packs, yogurt, eggs, hashbrowns, sausage, bagels, bread. Juices, coffee, milk. What was nice is that I arrived for breakfast just 15 minutes before it was to stop and yet all the hot food was hot & plentiful and while staff was trying to set up for Sunday lunch, they were all pleasant to me and didn't seem to mind that I was a straggler to breakfast.

Check out was easy. All staff was very pleasant. In fact, when I originally got to my room, the maid was in the hallway and apoligized for keeping me waiting! I was at least 1.5 hours early so it was me that was thanking her for getting it ready for me!

While this was not a top qualify hotel, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. I would probably ask for an end unit, to try to minimize the noise level and I just might bring my Lysol with me to try to get rid of that odd smell....

Room Tip: Ask for end unit to try to minimize noise from at least one side.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
bshepa01, Front Office Manager at McGuire's Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for your feedback about your stay. I wanted to let you know that we have maintenance looking into "the smell" to see what might be causing it and how we can remedy it.
I'm sorry that the noise level in your room seemed to be enhanced, normally we don't have that type of issue.
Thank you for letting us know that your service was good. Staff always likes to hear when they have done a good job.
Once again, thank you for letting us know how we are doing. We hope to have you visit us again the next time you are in the area.

Bill

Been to McGuire's Resort? Share your experiences!