“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Evergreen Resort

You added Evergreen Resort to your Saves list
Evergreen Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   7880 Mackinaw Trail, Cadillac, MI 49601 (Formerly McGuire's Resort)   |
Special Offer
Buy 2, Get 3rd Half Off
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Cadillac
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed in your "resort" hotel from July 19-22 and thought it would have been better for the price we paid. Found urine on the toilet seat before using it the first time. Toilets flush on you. Pressure needs to be adjusted so they don't flush spray on you. Had to adjust the mattresses each night so they would stay on top of the box. Air conditioning was noisy. Kids were outside making a lot of noise the night before our trip home and we couldn't get to sleep. The breakfast was exceptionally terrible. The toasters were inadequate and would not toast a simple English muffin. Hash browns greasy. Eggs powdered. Ended up getting a better breakfast elsewhere the other days. Our room at the Ramada Lansing was less expensive but had better accommodations than McGuires and the breakfast was everything you could ask for in a continental breakfast: fresh eggs, bacon, toast your own waffles, cereal in boxes, fruit, butter, syrup, yogurt, pastries, coffee, juice, etc.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor. Very private room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
bshepa01, Front Office Manager at Evergreen Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. I sincerely apologize for the issues that you had during your stay. I appreciate your concerns with breakfast. We do our best to fulfill the needs of all our guests. I would be happy to dicuss your concerns over the phone. Please feel free to contact me at 1-800-632-7302.

Bill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Just came back from a 4 days stay at this resort
It's a wonderfull place for a relaxing vacation
The room is clean and comfortable.
The staff are wonderfull & courteous
Specially thanks to Erica at the front desk & Teresa at the restaurant
The golf course are nicely maintained, and the staff at the pro shop are extremely helpfull
We will be back next year

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
bshepa01, Front Office Manager at Evergreen Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad your stay was enjoyable. I will pass on the word to the staff members that you metioned. It is nice to hear when they have done a good job and I know they will be glad to hear it. We look forward to your next visit.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We have stayed at McGuires the last two years and have had nice experiences both times. The room we stayed in was recently remodeled, very clean. The staff was accommodating and friendly. We ate dinner and breakfast at the resort, I judge them to be average. The golf course was in much better shape this year, challenging, but fair.

Overall, for the price it was worth the trip, but nothing outstanding.

Room Tip: The main lodge had the nicer rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
, Front Office Manager at Evergreen Resort, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. It seems like you had a good time. We've heard a lot of compliments about the course this year. It must mean they are doing something right. Hopefully your golf game was enjoyable as well. We look forward to you visiting us again, the next time you are in the area.

East Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at Mcguire's for four nights with a groupon coupon (299. for 4 nights w/40.00 in credit at Curlie's, the inhouse bar/cafe). It was the 4th of July week & very hot so we did not spend a lot of time inroom. Mostly we used Mcguire's as homebase each night as we wandered the Lake Michigan shoreline from Ludington to Sleeping Bear to Traverse City. Wonderful!

The room we stayed in was a little dated but quite adequate for our purposes. Our room was on the 3rd floor but the elevator only goes to the 2nd floor (a little annoying~). The room had a great a/c although it did smell a little moldy (bring a can of lysol; quite helpful). The king-size bed was very comfortable. The bathroom had a lack of hot water to start with but a call to the front desk and we had hot water in an hour or so. We were very pleased with how prompt and gracious all of the staff were that we encountered during our stay. The maids were awesome; it was nice to come home hot and sandy from the beach to find our rooms vacumed and with fresh towels. Lovely.

This really is a golfer's resort. We are not golfers but we found the pool facilities (sauna, whirlpool, pool) a nice feature. I only saw a few families with kids, but I understand their kitchenette units are very nice for those traveling with kids. They are pet friendly for an upcharge per/night (20.00 extra per night and they put you in the "old" part of the resort (as in not the newest beds).

We did not eat in their upscale Tavern on the Green, but did have lunch at Curlie's. Honestly, not too impressive. It's bar food served in a bar.

This is a great place for folks who are into the whole "golfing & drinking and then golfing some more" kind of vacation. We found it was a surprisingly quiet place to sleep while exploring Northern Michigan. I'm not sure I'd pay their "normal" rates to stay there, but it was a great groupon deal!

Ps the pizza from the partystore in town was great and a real bargain~D&G

• Stayed July 2012
, Front Office Manager at Evergreen Resort, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate insight from our guests. I'm glad you found our location useful. As you stated, we are located not too far off the beaten path, and close to so much. I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again and see even more.

Thanks again,

detroit, michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Somehow I got stuck in a pet friendly room. When I opened the door I was knocked back by the smell of wet dog. I tried to change rooms but nothing else was available. The room was very dated. Carpet was ripped, the worst part was just how dirty everything in the room was. Not including the smell, there were stained towels, dead bugs, the air conditioner was filthy and smelled like mold. I included some photos Im not sure if they'll post them. I didn't see housekeeping until my third day when I said I needed towels and garbage bags even then I packed up the towels and garbage when they brought what I needed and cleaned up myself. Free breakfast was a plus and the pub in the clubhouse had descent food and good service. I just think they need to market this place more for what it is an outdated motel 8 on a nice golf course.

• Stayed July 2012
I apologize for the issues that you seemed to have during your stay. I was unaware until I saw your review. I would appreciate it if you contacted me so I could get some clarification about your stay.

Cadillac, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

The decor and technology offerings are seriously outdated at this resort. Though we stayed here because our central air broke; this hotel is not at all as advertised. Perhaps they have put their attention to updates other than the guest rooms. However, one would think they at least have a current phone book....not!

• Stayed July 2012
I'm sorry that you feel the stay was "not as advertised'. We do our best to fulfill the needs of every guest. We do appreciate the feedback. It allows us to learn things about ourselves and/or catch things we may have overlooked.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Great service, beautiful views and great bargain! Rooms are spacious although just a bit shabby. We had a great experience and would definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2012
Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm glad that your stay was enjoyable. Please think of us again the next time you are in the area.

Thanks again,

Bill

Been to Evergreen Resort? Share your experiences!