“Not worth it even though it was cheap” 2 of 5 stars

Economy Inn Cadillac
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1140 S Mitchell St, Cadillac, MI 49601   |
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Cadillac
Grand Rapids, MI
“Not worth it even though it was cheap”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here the first weekend of August. Had to ring a bell to get someone to check us in, that's understandable as its clear the people live at the hotel, but we seemed to be bothering the manager. He questioned the fact that we (two females) only wanted one bed - not really in a "what's better for you" tone but a "why do you only want one bed?" Tone. (Because she is my girlfriend, thats why) . The room was tiny, dark, the bedding was threadbare, the a/c kept shutting off. Outside of our non-parking lot-facing window, we had a pile of rusty old bedframes (this creeped my girlfriend out). The shower curtain wasn't big enough for the opening (and I say that because it was a creepy little box) so water got everywhere.
In short, even though I got the room for under $50 on hotwire, it was creepy and i wish I had spent more for a more comfortable room. There wasn't anything awful about it, it just wasn't welcoming at all.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Overall was not too bad but could've been worse. Room is older with the birch door's. The mini fridge was old and the door wouldn't shut. Had a brand new a/c wich was nice. The bed was nice upon inspection for bed bugs i found no activity. The box spring was pretty stained up. The thermostat was missing the cover. Had holes in the wall patched with caulk. Toilit seat was missing a bolt. All in all just small things wrong but was very quiet. My only complaint was when I left i almost had to pull my pistol on a guy because he wanted a ride downtown and i said no. He said he did two trips to the pen and he would get his way with me weather I liked it or not. Mr./Mrs. Patel were very nice people who manage the motel. Would I stay there again.. yes I would. If you look over the small things it's not that bad.

• Stayed August 2012
Gaylord, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Stains on the carpet, holes in the drywall, missing chunks out of the ceiling tiles. I understand the stay was inexpensive but this was the worst place I have ever stayed at. The bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. The curtains were hanging on by only one hook.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
South Euclid, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

This budget hotel I got through Hotwire was very nice, and cheaper than anything else I could find in Cadillac, MI. We were there in the winter, skiing, and spent one night. The "clean comfortable" room ethic was there. Wifi worked, the clerk/owner was pleasant, the room did not smell, the beds were firm enough, the cable worked well. The only complaint was that the room was at 55 degrees when we arrive and it too awhile to get it up to a decent temperature. The bathroom was OK, clean, nice shower space. Coffee and a pastry complimentary in the morning. It is a good overnighter place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Osceola, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

Knew I would only spend around 7 hours in the room with 6 being sleeping. Bed was clean and OK. Only half the lights worked. Heating system was noisy. Bathroom was grungy. Shower had some super showerhead that was like standing under a firehose - most uncomfortable. I didn't fear for bugs but it is pretty run down and out of date. If you are staying for more than a short night, it's probably better to go a little further down the road and spend about $30 more for a room.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

I would not have booked this hotel If I have read the reviews earlier. We just wanted a cheap two night stay. The furniture and other item was old and had tons of scratches, scuff etc.. But everything was functional. We did not had any cockroaches. In-fact I was happy with cleanliness. Front desk people were nice and courteous. From my talk with them I learned that the management has changed for last one year or so. So the earlier reviews may not be the most relevant.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Vicksburg, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

This is a very old motel. Smelly, vaguely damp carpeting, mildewy shower. I hesitate to write a bad review because it's apparently a family business, but YUCK. I am writing this at 4 am because I can't sleep. Probably the grossest motel I've stayed in.
I wish I hadn't booked and prepaid through Orbitz. We would have made a beeline out of here had I not once we got a look at the place from the parking lot.
They have wireless, a bonus! But this place looks just like the Bates Motel, no kidding.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Economy Inn Cadillac? Share your experiences!