“hmmmmm!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Cadillac
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“hmmmmm!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

We made reservations to stay here last summer about a month before we tried to stay here, when we arrived to check in we were told that they had no reservations and that there were no available rooms. We were told that someone had just checked out & we could have that room. We were tired from traveling so we went to the ecolodge and checked in immediately without a reservation.

Room Tip: I thought advance reservations were for assurance of an available room. Not here though.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Allegan, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

This place and people who work here are wonderful. My vehicle broke down on the highway and I was stranded in Cadillac. I literally walked to the hotel. The Chef/Owner Hermann was great, very hospitable and friendly. Billy, at the restaurant was also great. Just a great place with great employees, I thank them for a great experience in a bad situation. I found the room very clean and welcoming.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Great location in the middle of downtown Cadillac. Within walking distance to just about everything in the downtown area. Very nice sized clean suite overlooking Mitchell Street. We ate dinner downstairs in the restaurant that was a little pricey but the food and service were outstanding. We checked out on a Sunday morning and there was no place open to check out so we left the key in the room and closed the door. No biggie but they maybe should had told us.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Cadillac, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Didn't sample the food, but had a very unpleasant experience with the hotel. Nearly tripped over all the buckets sitting in the hallway collecting water from the leaky ceiling, then got to the room to find it freezing cold because the heat was completely off...
Later that night (after unsuccessfully trying to work the shower for 20 minutes), I discovered that both room phones were dead (they still were this morning, last I checked). Since there was no receptionist available, I got my cell phone and called the "emergency number to be used if the kitchen is closed" number listed in the room. Chef Hermann himself answered, and was VERY upset about being bothered.
In any case, after being unprofessionally berated by the Chef this morning (not to mention threatened with fraud charges, as well as some mysterious $2,000 fine if I post any negative reviews), we checked out a day early and headed for McGuire's.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The room was clean, large, and lovely with a gorgeous brick wall. Little awkward since you park in the back but checkin in front where you'll get key and code for building access. Food at the restaurant was good and the people were very nice. Price very reasonable. Our room was in the front, so there was vehicle noise until maybe 10:00 and early in the morning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We enjoyed the location, within walking distance to the lake and restaurants. The room was large, but the bed was uncomfortable with a large sink hole in the center. We were there two nights. The price was right at $80 per night. It could be well improved with an update in bed and furnishings. We were in room one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I booked two rooms for four people in our party. I called twice before arrival (one week and two weeks prior) to verify 1) that my reservation was in order 2) that I could pay with a different card upon arrival than the one I had reserved with. Both Chef Hermann and another staff member personally assured me of this. I informed staff that half of my party would arrive before me and they would pay for their room with their card.
They arrived at 6pm and were informed by staff that BOTH rooms were charged on my card and it was declined for both so they only charged one on my card. Staff then had my party pay for their room with their credit card. Fine. Whatever.
My party arrived at 10pm only to discover that they had GIVEN our room away to someone else!! Staff was rude and denied charging us for both rooms. Eventually we got Chef Hermann on the phone and he was rude and brushed us off! He did NOT apologize for giving our room away or help us find somewhere else at 10pm!! When asked why he didn't simply CALL use first, he said he called once, but did not leave a message?!?! We said we deserved some type of compensation for stressing out our whole party. He offered dinner for HALF of our party, but refused to offer dinner for all of us!
It took SIX phone calls that week to get him to admit that he charged us for both rooms and refund us for the one he gave away. NEVER AGAIN! A waitress at a Mexican restaurant in town AND the staff at the other hotel we ended up at both said he has a reputation for terrible customer service. HE DID NOT APOLOGIZE ONE TIME BUT ACTED LIKE IT WAS OUR FAULT!
If you stay here, you better pray nothing goes wrong because it will be YOUR fault!

Room Tip: Don't stay here. He is rude, arrogant, and does not care about the customer or even making sure...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hermann's Hotel? Share your experiences!