“Nice place to stay in Cadillac” 4 of 5 stars

Hermann's Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   214 N. Mitchell Street, Cadillac, MI 49601   |
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Cadillac
Asheville, North Carolina, Usa
“Nice place to stay in Cadillac”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Nice hotel, European-like as advertised. It's very convenient as it has a high-quality restaurant and a deli in the same business space as the hotel. We stayed in room 6. It was clean and had a large bathroom, but its window opens onto the common-entry gangplank coming to the building from the back parking lot. Easy for someone to look in the room. All in all a nice place to stay; I would definitely book there again if I were passing through Cadillac.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Ann Arbor, MIchigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed here one night as part of a multi-day bike trip. After a 120-mile day I was looking forward to a good dinner and a comfortable bed, and Hermann's did not disappoint. I had to wrestle my bike over the narrow bridge at the back entrance, but I managed.

I stayed in Room 1, which is roomy and elegant, with plush couches. Dinner at the restaurant was excellent, and I highly recommend the creme brulee for dessert. And you get a credit at the cafe for breakfast, so my pastry and coffee drink were practically free. The cafe is popular with the locals, which is always a good sign.

I can think of only two little things to improve. As another reviewer stated, the pillows are firm, and it took me a bit to adjust to them. A choice of firmness would be helpful. Also, the in-room coffee is the definitely sub-par Maxwell House, which is surprising given that they serve premium coffee downstairs in the cafe.

And for any other cyclists who are considering staying in Cadillac, the hotel is only a quarter mile from the White Pines State Park trail, and McLain's Bike and Fitness shop is just 100 yards farther up Mitchell Street. Very handy!

Room Tip: Room 1 is apparently the feature room of the 7(?) total, but I don't think you can go wrong with...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I was unsure how to rate Hermann's. Our room (Room #1, if you're making reservations) was absolutely beautiful -- lovely brick walls, lots of space, lots of comfortable seating. And it was spotlessly clean. I'm really fussy about cleanliness, and I didn't hesitate to walk barefoot on the carpet or sit on the upholstered furniture. It was really, really clean looking. The towels in the bathroom were very nice, too, and the water pressure was good. Our breakfast in the cafe Saturday morning was tasty -- delicious pastries and good coffee. Those were all the good things. On the down side, the bed was very hard, and the pillows were very thin, so I didn't actually sleep very well, but some people might like a very hard mattress, so that's not necessarily bad -- it was just bad for me! Our room was noisy, because the music from the cafe (immediately below us) was very audible from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., and we had a lot of street traffic noise, as well. And our Sunday breakfast never arrived, at least not before we left the hotel at 9:45, which was disappointing, as I had asked about it at check-in. And there didn't seem to be any number I could call to inquire, except for Chef Hermann's emergency number, and, while annoying, our missing breakfast wasn't really an emergency, I guess...
Anyway, my husband says this was a "3", but the room was so cute, I gave it a "4".

Room Tip: Room #1 is on the street, and was pretty noisy.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We were so pleased with Hermann's Hotel in Cadillac Michigan! It's the upstairs of an extensive Hermann's collection of other venues: Butcher Shop (which has a HUGE wine selection and sells cigars!!), Deli (where we had our complimentary breakfast), Bar/Cafe where we enjoyed lunches, and the Restaurant with fabulous gourmet selections! Who could ask for more? The building has the original brick walls still exposed in all rooms upstairs and down. I believe there are seven (or eight?) rooms, all reasonably priced, all decorated differently. What a great change from the usual motel experience! I loved going downstairs, stepping out on the main street and window shopping! Absolutely no complaints, Hermann is around all day downstairs to greet us, so if there was anything we wanted, we just had to ask. Four members of our extended family also joined us for one weekend, and also loved the ambience! We'll be back, Hermann! Go to his website and read up on Hermann, he's amazing!

Room Tip: When you call to reserve, ask for a mini-suite (same price), bigger room with nice view of this litt...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Amherstburg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Clean, large room. Parking is at rear of hotel. Restaurant attached to hotel. Restaurant overpriced.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

We, my wife and three children, have rented two rooms per night for local ski trips on several occasions now. I have read the other reviews and am inclined to say this, if you see no difference between a Holiday Inn continental Breakfast and Hermanns typical Sunday cold plate of fresh fruit, strong cheese, croissant, premium cold cuts and a truffle, then yes, you had better stay at the Holiday Inn. But, if you appreciate a very nicely decorated, premium, spacious room that offers both a fine restaurant (Read Hermanns Bio!) as well as a really good soup/sandwich Deli., then you can't find a better value. By the way, the parking is in back in the elevated alley, where a meatl walkway/bridge leads you to your rooms. The staff are locals, not pressed out of the Holiday Inn charm school.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Monroe, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

I walked in to ask how much the rooms were and was surprised to find them cheaper than the Holiday Inn down the road.

This hotel was right downtown with rooms above the restaurant and deli (maybe 5 rooms total). Rooms were very nice, kind of felt like you are at home. Lots of towels, pillows, large bed, internet access.

The chef was very friendly as were staff members. The restaurant and deli both had great food. Looking forward to staying again soon.

Golfing nearby, workout gym right down the road ($7 day pass), shopping, etc.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cadillac
Hampton Inn Cadillac
Cadillac - Days Inn
Cadillac - Days Inn
#6 of 14 in Cadillac
3.5 of 5 stars 256 reviews

Been to Hermann's Hotel? Share your experiences!