“Adequate, Valuable, Not Spectacular” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Golf Courses, Wellness & Spas
Activities: Golfing
Saint Louis, Missouri
8 attraction reviews
“Adequate, Valuable, Not Spectacular”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

When I say "not spectacular", I mean that we weren't wowed by what McGuire's had to offer -- but we were very satisfied. We purchased a Groupon Getaway deal that included 4 nights, free breakfast buffet, and 2 $20 vouchers to either of their on-site restaurants. The value for it was outstanding, and honestly was the determining factor in buying the package, but you can get packages from the resort directly for $90 a night or less.

The rooms were adequate, with adjoining room options, great A/C, the mattress was firm yet comfortable, and the bathroom was clean. All their rooms are non-smoking, and they charge a cleaning fee if you smoke in the rooms, so no foul odors. The glasses next to the ice bucket were very old and scratched, so we didn't use those. The coffee maker in the bathroom wasn't as clean as we had liked, so we didn't rely on that, either. The ceiling had cinder block in it, so our room was VERY soundproof. Honestly, the only noise we ever heard was through the door to our room as people walked down the hallway or entered/exited their own rooms.

The staff was very friendly. I had forgotten to print out my Groupon voucher prior to arriving, so they offered to look it up on my account online, asking me to put in my email and password to look it up so they could get the correct information. Jennifer also gave me some information on some outdoor evening spots we could visit around Cadillac. One of the servers in Curly's Sports Pub wasn't especially pleasant, but everyone else was very helpful.

The pool is indoor and heated, and there's a game room right next to pool access, so it's a nice place to gather with friends if you want a place to socialize. We didn't golf, although I might have if we'd had the time -- the parts of the course we could see were beautiful, and from what I hear, it's one of the resort's biggest draws. Cadillac is next to Manistee National Forest, and apparently, it's a snowmobiler's paradise in the winter; Lake Cadillac and Lake Mitchell are also not far away for water enthusiasts. Most of our time was spent in Traverse City, Silver Lake, and other areas, so McGuire's was a great central location for our other destinations.

The breakfast buffet features hash browns and what seems like powdered eggs daily, plus meat choices that varied by day. Not the best, but I've had much worse. The Terrace Room is a great place for the buffet, with a feel to the room like it's a nice space to wake up in the morning, and the servers are attentive. A couple days I even got carry out containers and took breakfast to our room, and they even gave me to-go cups for coffee. The food at Curly's Sports Pub was excellent -- on Tues and Thurs they have all-you-can-eat ribs for $12.99, and they are FANTASTIC. I'm not a big rib person, but these were so tender they fell off the bone. Also tried their cheddar soup and their Paddy Melt -- all the food was great.

The only real complaints -- the building is old, so there are some places in need of some hard cleaning and a little TLC, but those are mostly found in public areas rather than in the guest rooms themselves. The other is that Cadillac itself doesn't have much to offer unless you're a golfer or an outdoorsman. But for the price, we really couldn't beat that value we got from staying at McGuire's. Thank you!

Visited July 2012

“Don't count free breakfast as a plus!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

The "included breakfast" is not worth crossing the street for, if you eat breakfast one time in the restaurant you will not go back. The eggs are not edible, and the "meat" is very under cooked.
If you golf it may be ok but the pool is nothing special and and there is not much else to do in walking distance.

Lake City, Michigan
19 attraction reviews
“Needs work and quality of food had gone down hill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Sad to say this "resort" needs lots of work, the quality had gone downhill. The hotel rooms need updating and the quality of food just isn't there anymore. The golf course is still nice, but unfortunately I don't play golf.

Ludington, Michigan
36 attraction reviews
“Great food and accomodations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is an upscale resort where there's a lot for a family to participate in.

Visited June 2011