“Great staff, but. . .” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Cadillac
Glenwood, Illinois, United States
“Great staff, but. . .”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I wasn't impressed with this Holiday inn Express. HIE is my first choice when traveling, but I think I made a mistake on this one. First, my room was on the first floor directly across from the vending machines and elevators. It was extremely loud. I could hear constant noise throughout the night, including the bell being rung by those trying to get the attention of the staff. The toilet took three flushes every time to empty its contents. The breakfast was extremely poor in comparison to other HIE. The breakfast room is extremely small, and the layout of the tables makes it difficult to maneuver through when the ones closer to the food were occupied. The sausage gravy was lukewarm at best, there were no hard boiled eggs, and the bananas looked several days past their prime. More black than yellow on those. I'm glad I only stayed there one night. Never again!

Room Tip: Even though it was May, the day was quite cold. In fact, it snowed while I was there. The heat in...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Julie S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cadillac, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
First, I would like to express my sincere apology for the problems you experienced during your stay. Our breakfast personnel have been advised of your concerns regarding the food not being hot enough. This fall our breakfast room is going to be rennovate and made bigger, that will help the flow of the room. I am sorry you where in a room that was near a high traffic area. We are always happy to move a guest that is not happy with their location within the hotel. We are looking into the sofa issue. All of our room furniture was replaced December, 2012. Our hotel strives to serve our guest at the Holiday Inn Standards...Great Hotels Guest Love

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Morrice, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed 3 nights and overall it was ok. The breakfast on the first and last day were pretty lame, but the second day breakfast was really good. I was here on business so I really didn't care too much, but if i had been here on vacation with my family I would have been a little upset. The rooms were pretty nice, for the most part they were clean. There was cereal under the bed and I didnt eat any cereal in the room. It was pretty nice, stayed at worse places. Staff was really nice

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
First, thank you for staying with us for your business trip. Thank you for bringing you breakfast conerns to our attention. We are looking at our menu and will be changing it for the summer months. The cereal you found is unacceptable and our housekeepers have been advised of your find. Again, thank you and I apologies for any inconvenience any of these issues caused.
Troy, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Several recent reviews mentioned the poor quality of the mattresses and that the hot tub / pool weren't working. On my recent stay, the pool and hot tub were open until 11:00 PM and had chairs to sit in with pool towels laid out nicely by each chair. Chlorine was about average. The room was quite clean, and pretty much exactly what you'd expect from any Holiday Inn Express anywhere. No complaints about the mattresses, perhaps they've upgraded since earlier visitors. The pillows came labelled as "soft" and "firm", which is a chain-wide improvement, but I found all my pillows a bit lumpy. Staff was very helpful and friendly, offering to make a new pot of decaf, when the thermos was cold one evening, and giving me detailed descriptions of the local dining choices. Cadillac has limited hotel choices....this one is probably one of the better choices one could make.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Julie S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cadillac, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We have recently remodeled our rooms! New beds, furniture, carpet and many other amenties.
Traverse City, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Out of all the hotel choices in the Cadillac area, the Holiday Inn Express is decent. The hotel itself is in need of some upgrades. I checked in on a Monday night and the spa was broke, they did not have hot tub rooms, and the lobby was under renovations. My room was large, almost too large as it seemed to have an echo feeling. The bed was the worst part of my whole experience. It was lumpy and needed to be replaced. The headboard was clearly for a full sized bed but they had a king sized bed in the room. I found hairs on the toilet and in the shower. The breakfast was good but they did not have butter for the breads and the eggs were a bit watery. Overall this hotel needs an upgrade to keep up with the Holiday Inn Express standards but for the area it is about the only good place to stay.

Room Tip: Do not get a room with a king bed unless you want to sleep on a lumpy bed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

Decent hotel, staff, etc. invest in some mattresses!! The beds are horrible! Two different weeks. One with a room with two queens, one with a king. All were cheap old worn out mattresses. I've stayed at many holiday inn express hotels, and these beds are far worse than what I normally experience.

Stayed August 2012
Oakland, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed here on route to Sleeping Bear Dunes. The pool and hot tub were nice..a little too much chlorine (we had to leave early bec our eyes were stinging!), but fine for a short swim.
The room was larger than expected and we all slept pretty good.
Breakfast was very busy, but we did get to eat....we had to bring it back to our room because there weren't any seats left. Course, this is no fault of the hotel...just a busy weekend.
No real complaints!

Room Tip: We had a corner room...best place for minimal noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Royal Oak, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed in Cadillac for two nights for a wedding. We had our infant with us, so we book a King suite. This room came with a King bed, small kitchen area with a microwave and fridge and a sofa bed. There is a wall that divides the kitchen area from the bed, but not a door like many suites we have stayed in. (So once your child goes to bed, you can watch tv and make a little bit of noise)

The staff was very friendly at check-in and there was a crib in our room as we had asked.

However, upon entering the room, it stunk like cigarette smoke. I quickly called down to the front desk and told them we ordered a non-smoking room. Their reply was that all the rooms are non-smoking. When I asked what they could do their reply was "nothing, the hotel is booked and we have no other rooms for you. But we can bring up an ionizer to help with the smell." So they brought up, an ionizer, which is a fancy word for a machine that is very loud and blows out some air, but doesn't help with the smell at all. I will say that the staff was apologetic for the condition of our room, but made no effort (other than the loud machine) to make our stay pleasant. No follow up effort was made to see if the ionizer helped (it didn't) and no manager asked to see how they could make our stay better.

In addition, the smoke smell just made everything feel dirty in the room.

The crib was awful. Every time our baby moved it creaked so loud and it woke him up a few times. The mattress was a joke -- I would have been better off bringing our pack n play.

I concur with other reviews -- the king bed was not comfortable.

The breakfast was gross. Powdered eggs, hockey puck sausages, stale bagels, and coffee. I ate a banana and yogurt. We went out to breakfast the following morning.

The pool area was clean, but the pool was a bit over chlorinated.

I expected a bit more for a hotel that seems newer. The quality of the room is not reflected in the price. (way overpriced!!!) I don't foresee myself having to go to Cadillac again anytime soon, but I hope there are better options if I do find myself needing a place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cadillac? Share your experiences!