“Decent accommodations” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Cadillac
Troy, Michigan
“Decent accommodations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Several recent reviews mentioned the poor quality of the mattresses and that the hot tub / pool weren't working. On my recent stay, the pool and hot tub were open until 11:00 PM and had chairs to sit in with pool towels laid out nicely by each chair. Chlorine was about average. The room was quite clean, and pretty much exactly what you'd expect from any Holiday Inn Express anywhere. No complaints about the mattresses, perhaps they've upgraded since earlier visitors. The pillows came labelled as "soft" and "firm", which is a chain-wide improvement, but I found all my pillows a bit lumpy. Staff was very helpful and friendly, offering to make a new pot of decaf, when the thermos was cold one evening, and giving me detailed descriptions of the local dining choices. Cadillac has limited hotel choices....this one is probably one of the better choices one could make.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Julie S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cadillac, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We have recently remodeled our rooms! New beds, furniture, carpet and many other amenties.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Traverse City, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Out of all the hotel choices in the Cadillac area, the Holiday Inn Express is decent. The hotel itself is in need of some upgrades. I checked in on a Monday night and the spa was broke, they did not have hot tub rooms, and the lobby was under renovations. My room was large, almost too large as it seemed to have an echo feeling. The bed was the worst part of my whole experience. It was lumpy and needed to be replaced. The headboard was clearly for a full sized bed but they had a king sized bed in the room. I found hairs on the toilet and in the shower. The breakfast was good but they did not have butter for the breads and the eggs were a bit watery. Overall this hotel needs an upgrade to keep up with the Holiday Inn Express standards but for the area it is about the only good place to stay.

Room Tip: Do not get a room with a king bed unless you want to sleep on a lumpy bed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

Decent hotel, staff, etc. invest in some mattresses!! The beds are horrible! Two different weeks. One with a room with two queens, one with a king. All were cheap old worn out mattresses. I've stayed at many holiday inn express hotels, and these beds are far worse than what I normally experience.

Stayed August 2012
Oakland, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed here on route to Sleeping Bear Dunes. The pool and hot tub were nice..a little too much chlorine (we had to leave early bec our eyes were stinging!), but fine for a short swim.
The room was larger than expected and we all slept pretty good.
Breakfast was very busy, but we did get to eat....we had to bring it back to our room because there weren't any seats left. Course, this is no fault of the hotel...just a busy weekend.
No real complaints!

Room Tip: We had a corner room...best place for minimal noise.
Royal Oak, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed in Cadillac for two nights for a wedding. We had our infant with us, so we book a King suite. This room came with a King bed, small kitchen area with a microwave and fridge and a sofa bed. There is a wall that divides the kitchen area from the bed, but not a door like many suites we have stayed in. (So once your child goes to bed, you can watch tv and make a little bit of noise)

The staff was very friendly at check-in and there was a crib in our room as we had asked.

However, upon entering the room, it stunk like cigarette smoke. I quickly called down to the front desk and told them we ordered a non-smoking room. Their reply was that all the rooms are non-smoking. When I asked what they could do their reply was "nothing, the hotel is booked and we have no other rooms for you. But we can bring up an ionizer to help with the smell." So they brought up, an ionizer, which is a fancy word for a machine that is very loud and blows out some air, but doesn't help with the smell at all. I will say that the staff was apologetic for the condition of our room, but made no effort (other than the loud machine) to make our stay pleasant. No follow up effort was made to see if the ionizer helped (it didn't) and no manager asked to see how they could make our stay better.

In addition, the smoke smell just made everything feel dirty in the room.

The crib was awful. Every time our baby moved it creaked so loud and it woke him up a few times. The mattress was a joke -- I would have been better off bringing our pack n play.

I concur with other reviews -- the king bed was not comfortable.

The breakfast was gross. Powdered eggs, hockey puck sausages, stale bagels, and coffee. I ate a banana and yogurt. We went out to breakfast the following morning.

The pool area was clean, but the pool was a bit over chlorinated.

I expected a bit more for a hotel that seems newer. The quality of the room is not reflected in the price. (way overpriced!!!) I don't foresee myself having to go to Cadillac again anytime soon, but I hope there are better options if I do find myself needing a place to stay.

Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Cadillac for 2 nights (Aug 10-11). It was very clean, and we liked the numerous pillows, labelled firm or soft. The beds were rather hard. We just had a regular room with 2 queen beds. For the price, I think that a microwave and mini fridge would have been nice. As we decided on a last minute trip, this was the only hotel available. One of my children went in the pool. She liked it, no complaints. The pool area seemed clean to me. The breakfast was fine. We did have cinnamon rolls available. There was a pancake machine, you press a button, and 2 pancakes roll out, one at a time. This was a big hit, due to the novelty. There were no waffle makers, and no microwave in the breakfast area. In the room itself we received a shampoo and conditioner, but no hand lotion. Also, we had only 3 towels, but if you ask at the front desk, you can get as many as you need. I think in a room that holds up to 4 people, they could give you 4 towels to begin with. In case anyone was wondering about the Comfort Inn, we passed by it on our way into town and it appears to be closed at this time. It looked like there were some renovations going on. So, overall, it was a good, clean hotel, it seemed safe, but it was a bit expensive for what you get. I do think that they could give every room a microwave and fridge, there seemed to be space in our room. Also, the hotel was very quiet, there was no real noise at night, but maybe we were just lucky. We were in room 317, facing the back of the hotel.

Farmington Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Husband and I spent two nights first weekend in August. We had a king suite which had ample room, sofa, small refrigerator, microwave, table, two chairs, kitchen sink and countertop. I cannot express how much I hated the bed. It had zero support.(I had the same experience with the bed at the Holiday Inn Express, Vermillion OH.) The staff was very friendly and the breakfast was acceptable. I would probably stay again but only because there is no where better to stay in Cadillac, MI .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cadillac? Share your experiences!