“WOW!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 59 Restaurants in Cadillac
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European
Good for: Entertaining clients, Families with children, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Atlanta, Georgia
“WOW!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Booked group for lunch at Hermann''s. Showed up at Cafe - Hermann was waiting for us at the door. Lunch buffet set up with breads, deli meat, salads, and chocolate mousse! Great stop for a group!! Hermann and staff very hospitable. Love this place!! Great Greek Lemon Chicken Soup!

• Visited May 2013

Traverse City, Michigan
“An honest 4 star restaurant in Cadillac!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wife and I had dinner last night at Hermann's in Cadillac. We have eaten there a number of times over the past 10 years and have never been disappointed. With one exception, we were not disappointed on this visit either.

My wife had a 1/2 order of Sauerbraten which she said was excellent, and said it was a large enough portion for her dinner.

I ordered a 1/2 order of the Pepper Steak -- it was exceptional!!!!!!! Tender (I literally cut it with my fork), very flavorful, cooked to order (very rare) and the homemade sauce was literally to die for! Outstanding! I have normally always ordered the excellent Rack of Lamb. but I think the pepper steak is even better! I ordered an appetizer of potato pancakes to be served with my dinner. They were, and were very, very good -- almost as good as my Father used to make. Now for the problem -- I had also ordered a bowl of morel soup as an appetizer. It did not arrive at our table until AFTER the dinners had been served, and it was a cup, not a bowl. The server said that she had trouble getting it out of the kitchen. While it tasted wonderful -- it is really a very special soup and I highly recommend it -- it should have been an appetizer, not my desert!

Except for the late delivery of the morel soup, this dinner was one of the best we have had in a long time, and we eat at some pretty good restaurants! Consider the 1/2 options. Our 2 dinners with 2 appetizers and a bottle of wine came to less than $90.00, including tip! Such a deal!

• Visited May 2013
Manistee, Michigan
“An updated impression of Hermann's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We recently met another couple for dinner at Herman's on our recommendation as we had never been disappointed in a meal or service there. Unfortunately the night we went it was a buffet night, Texas barbeque, something we were not too excited about being mostly vegetarian. Fortunately they did still offer their main menu which all of us ordered from as an alternative. Our meals were fine but not excellent as I had been accustom to at Herman's. No one exclaimed with pleasure how the food was, it was fine but not up to the acclaim we had mentioned before.

The service and atmosphere were still excellent. We are willing to give it another try someday (we are from out of town) but hope next time we will be raving again about the food.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dearborn, MI
“What a treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Our first trip to Cadillac, where we spent the day spring skiing at Caberfae Peaks, and my search for a memorable Friday night dinner led us to Hermann's European Cafe, What a gem in such a beautiful lakeside town! We were both pleasantly surprised with the quality of the food, the fresh ingredients, and the nice presentation.

I started with the morel soup (with the well-guarded recipe), and while it wasn't exactly a healthy choice, it was quite excellent. My wife, the vegetarian, started with the house salad (which she was impressed contained daikon), and mentioned it was like one we would have at home.

For our entrees, I had the salmon special, cooked to perfection, with a pesto sauce, capers, gulf shrimp, and artichoke hearts. It was as good as I've had anywhere! The wife went for the curried vegetables, and thoroughly enjoyed it. A nice Malbec Reserve from the short but quality list complimented both. Being stuffed, we passed on dessert, and finished up the wine instead.

Our waiter was sufficient, although he seemed a bit flustered when I asked if Chef could prepare something special for my vegetarian spouse, and we were also a bit surprised that he hurriedly brought the check after we were barely finished with the meal and declined desserts. Didn't quite match up with the excellence of the meal, but being exhausted from our long day, it was probably not a bad thing.

So if you find yourself in Cadillac for dinner, Hermann's is definitely a must-do. We hope to make it back!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Yale, MI
“Great atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a very nice dinner here on our way through cadillac. The hotel and restaurant are a gem for cadillac; they are lucking to have such a business.