“Good budget option” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Cadillac
Lansing, MI
“Good budget option”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

My husband and I stayed one night at Sun-n-Snow Motel while we were on a road trip. It's a good budget option. Very simple rooms: bed, dresser, microwave, fridge, etc. Nothing fancy, for sure, but I actually slept pretty well on the mattress, which is saying something for me. Clean and tidy, the original tile in the bathroom is well maintained and the water for the shower is HOT (awesome!).

The only reason why this motel didn't get 4 stars is that it was very cold in our room, regardless of how high we turned the heat up. The reason for this is that there is a huge gap between the door and its frame (room 36). Having a coffee maker in the room would also be nice.

The property could use a little TLC, but looks like it might be a good place for a budget-oriented family reunion since it's right on the lake and the property is set back off the road. The snow was so high that it was hard to tell what it would be like in the summer. Lots of snowmobilers were using it for winter stays. The manager and his wife were helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

We were accused of stealing a top sheet when we came back because I left my pillow in the room. Treated us like crap and would not give me my pillow unless the sheet was returned. Also room was dirty, carpet stained, bedding stained... DONT stay there.

• Stayed July 2013
Three Oaks
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed there this summer, 2013, guess I remember the property back in the 70's when it was maintained. Owners were very friendly and helpful but the property lacks TLC. Very obvious that there is a lack of maintenance although the room still had the charm of the past, comfortable bed and nice view ot the lake, the chair in our room needed to be sent to the dump. Speaking of the lake, view was obstructed by four car tires piled up at the end of the motel. If you smoke you will enjoy the rusted coffee cans outside each room and the view of the garbage containers chained to the posts and weeds that have not been removed in ages! The restaurant had the same name in the past and understand why the change as I am sure they did not want to be associated with the current condition of the motel - food excellent at Lakeside Charlies. Paint and repairs, some overal pride of ownership would go a long way in bringing the property back as it has good value and like I mentioned, operators were very nice and it is on Lake Mitchell!

Room Tip: Looking for cheap, you will have it, looking for a property with TLC, forget it, but it does have vi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Culver, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I ended up stranded in Cadillac when our motorcycle died in the parking lot right next to the Sun and Snow Motel. We had to push our bike and trailer into their parking lot. When the owners found out about our problem, they were right there to offer help. The motel is an older motel but the rooms are clean, the beds are comfy, the room had a fridge and microwave, and the price was very reasonable. The location, which is right on Lake Mitchell, was fantastic. And once again, the owners were wonderful. You couldn't go wrong staying at this motel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Big Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This motel was the PERFECT location for what we needed. We had our boat and wanted to go fishing on lake mitchell. The room we got was actually nicer than the Cadillac Sands, which is on Lake Cadillac...but we could just cruise through the canal and go to lake cadillac since they had a boat launch. You will not get a better room for a lesser price ANYWHERE in cadillac! It is an Indian family that owns it, but they will LITERATELY cater to you hand and foot! Thank you Sun n' Snow!

Room Tip: As long as you request a room with two beds or more, you will receive great quality for the price...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stay here often during the ski season, just a few miles from Caberfae Peaks ski area. Great value -- nothing special, clean rooms, good shower and comfortable beds. The room rate has been in the $40 per night area if they are not busy.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is very old and shows it. In need of some major updates. Pulling in the office looks like something out of Hansel & Gretal. I did research online before booking this room and read reviews of large clean rooms and friendly owners. The owners are nice enough but the rooms are not close to large. Also, I had called in July to reserve and spoke with the lady owner. I gave her the day and date of our stay. She told me the cost and reserved it on my credit card. When we get there she charged me 15.00 more than the quote because it was Friday. This really upset me because she knew when I made the reservation that I was arriving on a Friday. I feel this is extremely dishonest and an unfair practice. Lying about the price of a room will not bring back customers. The only things this place has going for it is that it does have a nice lake view and there are some very nice restaurants close by.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Sun-N-Snow Motel? Share your experiences!