“GREAT RIBS AND DESSERTS!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 15 restaurants in Buchanan
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Phone is (269) 697-0043.
Portage, Indiana
“GREAT RIBS AND DESSERTS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My wife and I have had consecutively great meals at Wheatberry over the the past year since we discovered it's existence from a billboard advertisement from the highway on our way to Four Winds Casino. It's a long drive but well worth it! We enjoy the hardwood smoked ribs and BBQ Pork sandwich. I recommend the Anchor Steam beer which is fabulous! Cornmeal cakes are terrific - we always have seconds with plenty of butter - and they have some of the best desserts of any restaurant we have ever been to! Apple pie, blueberry pie, chocolate, bourbon pecan pie (my favorite!) and others! Wheatberry is closed on Monday as we recently, sadly discovered. I highly recommend this out of the way tavern for a nice drive and a great meal - then treat yourself to the Four Winds Casino in New Buffalo!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
Buchanan, Michigan, United States
“Out of the way gem of a restaurant with great view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Known for their brisket and bar-b-que, I personally like the Three Sisters vegetarian entree, a unique blend served over grilled polenta. Wheatberry's also has an extensive beer menu that ought to be enjoyed on the outdoor patio looking over the St. Joe river.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Great local spot with great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was with a party of nine cousins and we all thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Wheatberry. The menu offered many choices in a variety of tastes. I shared the whole barbecue chicken with two sides and it was plenty for two women to eat! The service by Mike, the mnager, was commendable as he willingly moved our large party to another table by the window to accomodate one cousin with an environmental allergy to smoke.(Smoked meats, not cigarettes!) Our server, Chelsea, was delightful and easily took care of our large party. The desserts were amazing as we shared five of them together! We would defintitely return next summer when we are on cousins' weekend again!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
South Bend, Indiana
“Not very impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Had heard good things about Wheatberry, and wanted to try it out. The house-smoked items I'd heard about were of particular interest. I had the brisket, and it was a real letdown. It was smoked (could see the smoke ring on the meat), but had hardly any smokey taste at all. It was tender, but any piece of meat that comes to the table that is half fat really should be. No joke, literally half of it was fat. My wife had the salmon, which was really nothing special and I've made better at home. The wait staff were pleasant and attentive enough, but the vibe of the place seemed more biker bar than anything else. Not that I have a problem with a good biker bar, this one just seemed to have delusions of being a fine dining establishment. Might try again sometime, maybe they just had an off day in the kitchen.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Berrien Springs, Michigan
“Not what we expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Not sure what the people had with great reviews! Our food was mediocre to say the least and the place was freezing in the middle of summer. Won't be going back!

• Visited August 2012