“Brighton Mexican Food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Brighton, Michigan
“Brighton Mexican Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

It is great having a new Mexican place in Brighton as we do not like the other one. Just as good as Los Trace in Howell, but with great salsa. Go once a week.

Visited October 2013

58% Recommend
Brighton, Michigan
“I Didn't even give the food a chance...check this out.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

I've admitted it in previous reviews - - my standards are really high. Hey, yours should be too, darn it all! I work really hard for my money and it seems to get tougher every day so I don't want to waste it - we're not unalike in that regard I'm guessing.

It was a week night about 6:30 PM and I had just told my wife via cell phone, who was also in her way home from work, that I'd pick something up for dinner. Feeling like nothing in particular, yet something a little different, I found myself stupidly driving around Brighton trying desperately to live up to my commitment (when Stouffer's Mac & cheese actually sounded pretty good to me >smirk<). Yea right, even tho it is the best, I think you know what would happen if I were to walk in with a box of Stouffer's under my arm. Anyway, I decided to pop in & check out MI Zarape, and possibly order a carryout. When I walked in, there were two females, who, I assumed to be "Hosts" SITTING, yes, SITTING on the window ledge at what I assumed was the "Host" stand - STRIKE ONE! Based on a quick glance, there were patrons at two tables so the place was hardly busy. I had to initiate the greeting; STRIKE TWO! I then asked for a carryout menu, to which one of the "Hosts" replied & gestured, "they're over there in a box" pointing to the glass & metal entryway I had just come thru to get to the "Host" stand, and where I noticed nothing in the way of a menu on my way in. Not wanting to impose on my "Hosts" or cause any over exertion, and thinking I may have missed the "box" of menu's on my way in, I walked back out into the entryway unescorted, to retrieve one of said "boxed" menus but there was neither a "box" nor a menu to be found!

Even with my "prickish" standards I didn't just continue walking right out the door (which is weird and I'm not sure why). Instead, I returned to the two "hosts", who continued to be apparently "butt-pasted" to the windowsill & barricaded behind their "Host" stand. I explained that there was no "box" and no menus. It was at that point, one of the "Hosts" miraculously freed her Gluteus Maximus from the gravitational grasp of the windowsill and to my utter amazement, rather than retrieve a menu for me, shuffled out to the entryway to see for herself that in fact, the magical box allegedly containing the allusive carryout menus was as I had explained, not present. STRIKE 3 man! So what? I'm a liar? I was cracking up by this time & trying not to laugh. I wasn't upset at all, quite the opposite, this experience was so completely absurd, it made my day! When the "Host" returned from the entryway I told her not to worry about the menu and I promptly left.

But C'mon. Either these gals were poorly trained or not at all - either way it showed me all I needed to see. If that's how the "hosts" are managed what about the cooks, and the dishwashers and other staff? Is the food handled in such a lackadaisical manner? And what does it say about the cleanliness standard? Here's food for thought... if this is the way they approach a brand new business location (they have 2 apparently), what's it going to be like when they "settle in", become passive, when it becomes the same old thing?

I'm not sorry and I'm not impressed. If you're going to hang a shingle in my neighborhood and expect my business, you better be on top of it. Is that too much to ask?

If you found this even the least bit helpful I'd appreciate a helpful vote. Thanks.

Visited September 2013
“Nice addition to the Brighton area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Had lunch here recently and really enjoyed the chicken quesadilla. Cooked and seasoned perfectly. The other part of my meal, cheese enchiladas, not so much. They too were made well but I didn't like them for some reason, just my particular tastebuds. My dining partner had the fried chicken burrito and beef taquito which she really enjoyed. I was a bit surprised at the cost of the sour cream and guacamole that we asked for since it didn't come with either combo plate. But hey, it was worth it. The usual chips and salsa served while you peruse the large menu were rather mild we thought, but there are two bottles of hot sauce on the table if you want more zing! Pleasant, attentive staff. We'll go back again but may wait until the liquor license comes through so as to try their margaritas.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brighton
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

It wasn't my favorite Mexican meal I have ever had but it was ok. Communication with the server was a problem. The level of English he spoke was a barrier for communicating with him. The speed of meal delivery was good and the server was very nice. Just didn't understand us very well. I don't think I will be back. It was just not the type of Mexican food I enjoy.

• Visited August 2013