“Beautiful resort - definitely recommend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boyne Falls
Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa
You added Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa to your Saves list
1 Boyne Mountain Road, Boyne Falls, MI 49713   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Boyne Falls
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, Canada
“Beautiful resort - definitely recommend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

We stayed for 5 days and 4 nights at the Mountain Grand Lodge, and would definitely return. The room was large, clean and comfortable, with a good sized fridge, sink and counter area. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. My husband and son (14) enjoyed the unlimited golf on a number of beautiful courses, and I took advantage of the spa (exercise classes, massage, pool, steam room). There are a lot of family activities and it is a nice atmosphere to just relax and enjoy a summer vacation. The food in the restaurants was good, and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Ask for the main hotel - Grand Mountain Lodge
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Stayed three days at this ski resort in the off season and was impressed by a number of points. The staff is high quality, flexible, and service-oriented to a fault. They hire well. My hosts changed requirements, moved location, asked for adjustments and got them all. My room was spacious and comfortable. Food was fine. This is a good property for scheduling a meeting or retreat.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

For Midwest skiing in MI, this is a nice resort with skiing that is super-close walking distance. Very family-friendly, yet expensive. We stayed in a two-level suite complete with two bathrooms and small living room area...worked great for our three kids, 10 and under. We stayed for 4 nights over the New Year's holiday and did a package with waterpark, lift tix and breakfast. We only left once to drive to Boyne City for dinner. The food at the hotel was average, nothing to rave about. It was convenient and that was it. One night we ordered pizza delivered to our room from the Trophy Room at the resort and it arrived cold, but we ate it because we were starving and waited over an hour for it.
Kids loved the waterpark and outdoor heated pool. They had lots of nice events at this time of year, which we appreciated.
My kids and I did ski school and the instructors were nice and we all learned a lot. My
husband is a black diamond skier and enjoyed the runs at Boyne, though did not like how
short they are....but it's the Midwest, so he didn't expect much. He also felt that lines for the
lifts were way too long and combined with short runs, you spend much more time not
actually skiing.
We got lucky with weather...it was in the 30's-40's. Friends that went last year said it was in
the single digits and not fun...I can't imagine being out there for very long like that,
considering that you spend most of your time in line and on slow lifts (there are one or two
high speed lifts, but not for the kids level).
Our friends stayed in the villas this year and said they were absolutely disgusting...stick with
the lodge, unless you don't want to spend a lot on lodging.
Went to the spa and if was nice, but waiting/relaxation area was too small, considering they
were completely booked....there were not enough chairs at times.
All in all good for a close ski trip, definitely cheaper than flying or staying out west, but still
an expensive trip to take, especially during their busiest time!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
defiance, ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2011

Cleanliness was an issue. Maid did not reset the room properly. On Saturday the 22nd of January, we were treated to a reception which included 3 hours of techno music directly below our room. Imagine being dead dog tired from skiing, yet unable to sleep. My husband complained and the hotel refunded 53.00! The restaraunt in the hotel was freezing...Will think twice about staying here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Fort Wayne, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

BEFORE YOU GO: We decided a week before that we wanted to come to Boyne while our 12 and 9-year-old were off school. The best rate is found from calling the hotel directly. We also recommend signing up for Boyne Rewards since they track what you spend (or you can save your reciepts and mail it in later) to get rewards such as gift certificates or a free massage. We like to pack our own food (some muffins, hot dogs, lunchmeat and cheese, fruit, sometimes I will cook a double portion of dinner one night and freeze the leftovers to bring.) This is a huge savings. Trust me, you will find other places to spend that money!

UPON ARRIVING: Virginia greeted us and gave us the week's activities. She was friendly and helpful, answering all our questions. She got our vacation off to the best start.

THE HOTEL ITSELF: I gave a very detailed description of the hotel in my 11/07 review in case you want to check it out. I would like to add that this time we stayed in room #262 and it had a wonderful view of the mountain, trees and pond. We had one queen and a pull-out sofa bed. Both were very comfortable. My husband has off-again, on-again back trouble and he loved the comfy bed. Our family keeps a clean home and so we have high expectations for the cleanliness of a hotel. This hotel will not disappoint. We noticed the cleaning staff had four ladies tackle the room so that they finished quickly. The rooms have a microwave (so bring that popcorn!) and small fridge, can opener, silverware, glasses, plates, dishsoap, dishcloth, paper towels- you are all set up with a mini-kitchen. The room has a plasma-tv, fireplace with the option of warming up the room or not, and bathroom lights that start off dim in case you are turning them on in the middle of the night and need to adjust. The shampoo, conditioner and soap all smell really good, and the tub is absolutely huge! Every evening I looked forward to a nice, long soak in this tub! There is shower option, too. Be sure to take advantage of their comfy robes! Others must love them, too, since I saw people wearing them to the pool and waterpark.

WHEN'S DINNER? Please note that food is not a strong suit at Boyne. It is rather expensive for simple things that you could make yourself. In case you do not want to bring the food with you, Petoskey is 15 minutes north of the hotel. They have a Meijer, Walmart and other stores and shops. We went for lunch one day to "Julienne Tomatos" and loved it! It is a breakfast and lunch spot, fresh food made daily, friendly owners, delicious and creative dishes. Also check out "Jolly's" cookies. Every time we visited Boyne we thought the only food option was at the hotel but that is not so! If you do eat at the hotel, you may want to try Piersons. They make a good burger and fries.

ENTERTAINMENT: Naturally you will think of the Waterpark since it is right down the hall. For a half-day it is$20 per person and for a full day it is $25 per person. There are lots of fun options such as surfing, the lazy river, a ride that my son calls the toilet bowl because it goes around and around, then you go down the chute. There is something for all ages, but it is not the only thing to do. Before you buy the waterpark package, ask yourself if you would enjoy being wet all day, every day? My kids enjoy the waterpark up to a point. This time we skipped it.
It really is a lot of fun to go to the hotel's FREE indoor/outdoor pool. We brought a plastic inflatable ball to toss around. It was the hit of the pool! All the kids got into playing with it and tossing it around. For you photographers, it does make a neat picture when your family is in the pool and skiiers and coming down the mountain behind them. The kids also enjoying making snowballs and then throwing them into the pool since we had a fresh snow. There are also two jacuzzi's outside.
If you bring your workout clothes the fitness center is nice and it faces the mountain, plenty of beautiful things to look at while you work up a sweat.
The hotel has a 2-level arcade that may interest you, but even better is their zip-line! For $15 you get 2 turns to zoom over the pond and get a scenic birds-eye view. There is also a $59 zipline tour with some that are higher or longer or faster and it takes half a day to do them all, but we are new to zip-lines and were thrilled with our experience. The staff is friendly and made it seem even more exciting! They are very safely-conscious and won't let you go until they are satisfied that you are safe. They signal the other side so they are prepared to help you stop- you can't take off until the other side
acknowledge that you are ready to jump. This sounds scarier than it really is. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE ZIP LINE!!
I also recommend the Spa. I enjoy their massage. I went in not feeling stressed, but my therapist (Amanda) did such a great job that I just turned to butter. You will love the Relaxation Room, the 15 X15 jacuzzi (which does not smell like chlorine, it feels like you are relaxing in natural spring water, very clear and clean) and the sauna- they all are a free part of the package. I stayed for 3 hours, reading their magazines, relaxing and trying out their products. WORTH THE PRICE OF ADMISSION!!
For smaller kids a story time is hosted in the library.
On Friday they show a movie in the lower level, last Friday it was "UP" and Saturday it was "BOLT" but it changes weekly. We brought our own computer and equipment, our favorite movies and watched them in our room.
I mentioned Petoskey earlier. They have a movie theater, shops, a lighthouse and indoor putt-putt. If you can, go check it out.
We also like to play board games. We played Scrabble in the lobby near the huge fireplace, we like UNO and other games. We also brought a puzzle, the coffee table is big enough.
When we had a bigger vehicles we brought our sleds, there is a hill in Boyne City perfect for sledding. A short drive away and free family fun!

OVERALL: We love Boyne and can't wait to visit again! If you are looking for adventure you can find it here. If you are looking for serenity, you can find it here. Personalize your trip by bringing things to do that are meaningful to your family.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
streator, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

I can't say enough for this hotel. It was top notch. It is a great family place with lots to do for everyone. The rooms are well appointed and the amenities are top quality. There is a water park that charges extra that the kids would love. Be sure to buy the tickets when you book your room as they are almost double to buy at the park. We were there in October for the fall color season. They had a bonfire with smores and a hayrack ride on Friday and Saturday night. The restaurant had specials every night. We didn't eat there but locals told us that it is a favorite spot.
All in all, book it. We loved it!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Punta Gorda, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary. The location and the accomodations were above and beyond my expectations. The staff was great, and they made it a very special experience for us. The room was very nice, and clean, and BIG. We had a wonderful time. The Spa was incredible. We have been to spas all over the U.S. and the world, and this spa was one of the nicest we have ever seen. I highly recommend this to any married couple, or family who wants to get the most out of their money. The prices are very reasonable for the experience and accomodations that they offer.

My only complaint is the restaurant located in the lobby. The service was wonderful, but the food was mediocre, and overpriced. We had such a wonderful time, but I have to be honest about the restaurant. I would recommend room service if you want food quickly and don't want to leave, but if you can wait to eat, you will be happy you did.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Mountain Grand Lodge and Spa? Share your experiences!