“Gouged for Nostalgia” 3 of 5 stars

Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
35 attraction reviews
“Gouged for Nostalgia”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Just like everyone else, Franklin and other cider mills offer a strong sense of Michigan tradition and nostalgia and, like everyone else, I remember quite well my parents taking me here near forty years ago. However...

In all fairness, in rating a tourist attraction, one must be impartial. So, suffice to say the cider is still very, very good, the fried, grease-stain the brown paper bag donuts are just OK, the ducks are overfed and the staff are rather surly. For such a supposedly folksy and traditional place, maybe they should invest in some actual friendly people to work there. Additionally, the tourist trap vibe here has been amped up badly with all kinds of overpriced claptrap on offer besides the cider and donuts. $50 for a pumpkin? Really?

The location is still very nice with free parking (for now) and the apple-press observation was interesting and worth-while (performed by some grouchy illegal aliens not open to questions). If you still must go to get your nostalgia fix, FYI I went at opening at 8am on a Saturday and there were very few people.

Saint Louis, Missouri
32 attraction reviews
“It's Autumn! It's Franklin Cider Mill Time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I went here for the first time 40 years ago. I’ve been back every autumn I can. I was there today at 11:00 and there was parking, the lines were not a big deal, and the wheel is still driving the works inside. I love the donuts even without the cinnamon and sugar on them. The cake donuts themselves are wonderful with the cinnamon in the mix. The cider is good. Watching the old press still working is a treat I can still watch again and again. They had the usual products for sale all over the grounds plus were doing pet adoptions.

San Francisco, California
10 attraction reviews
“Best cider and donuts EVER.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Old timely charm. Local history, huge array of local farm products, jams, honey, etc. Donuts and cider are made fresh while you wait. Friendly welcoming staff. The perfect place to experience autumn in Southern Michigan

10 attraction reviews
“Best fresh donuts and cider”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This is one of my favorite places to go in the fall. They have demonstrations showing how the cider is made and, in my opinion, their cider and donuts are the best. I love to take my granddaughter there to feed the ducks. I took my children there when they were small and they still love to go.

ann arbor, mi
“oh heavenly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I've been going to the Franklin Cider Mill since was a was a little girl and it continues to flash into my mind when i hear the word "fall" or when i feel that certain change in the air........or whenever anyone mentions "donuts" and i have to pipe up about the freshly made and hot donuts of the cider mill.....i don't live as close to it any more so its even more special........