“Not an Honest Hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Birmingham
“Not an Honest Hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is a review especially dedicated to Mr James No last name. Apparently this person is dealing with customer service and so on. If you are staying at this hotel, you have to make sure you have record/ proof of all your belonging. Otherwise, they may disappear and the hotel won't compensate you at all. Maybe there are so many celebrities living here and they don't care about little missing articles? Or regular joe like you and me doesn't deserve any customer care? I had to stay in this hotel 2-3 nights/ week for almost a month ( fortunately, i could convince my boss to switch me to another hotel for the next 3 months). During my last week's stay, I had my dogs with me since this hotel is pet friendly. Needless to say I had to pay that $ 150 one time cleaning charge and $ 5 tips for house keeping, which actually worth it. The room they gave me Room # 322 was definitely a pet friendly room because it smelled like dogs. I didn't complain to the hotel because I understood the dog smell thing. I am a dog owner, I know sometimes dogs may have " accidents". The first 3 days stay was peaceful and lovely. On the 4th day ( a Saturday), I left my room before the noon and left the room for house keeping. I had a bag of laundry in the hotel's laundry bag and has the laundry slip in it. I was going to take it to the front desk, however, the house keeper showed up and my dogs were in the need of leaving the room asap. So I left the laundry bag with the house keeper. When I came back, the room was cleaned roughly, the laundry bag was gone. So I thought the house keeper took it to the laundry. Two days later, my laundry didn't show up . I called the hotel front desk. They sent the housekeeping manager to me and said they would investigate. However,I was out of clean cloths, the hotel tried to offer a $ 150 compensation. It was more than ridiculous. I didn't have super expensive clothes in the laundry bag, but they are more than $ 150. Two sets of yoga clothing ( lulu-lemon) , and three t-shirts, underwear, and so on. A total value about $ 400-450. Before I checked out, I told the hotel staff that if they need more time to determine the location of my laundry, I would be back in a week and we will go from there. So today, I was on my way driving to the hotel, Mr James No last name called me on behave of the hotel GM. Told me literally that they don't recognize the existence of my laundry, and they never had problem like this in the past 15 years. So my laundry was fictional. And BY THE WAY, the room I stayed with my dogs, were smelly so they couldn't rent it for a week , may need to replace the carpet. What is the context of these 2 things? Now I realized that I SHOULD have complained about the room odor instead of being understandable?!!!! And he offered NO compensation of my missing laundry because they have NO record of the existence of my laundry. But I have record of the existence of my belonging?!!! Maybe I should have locked my laundry in the safe?! That is just so outrages ! I wish he could have called me the day before my trip, so I could have booked other hotel in advance instead of being insulted by staying in townsend hotel again. Anyways, what can I do? I can't get any compensation for their misconduct. Well guess only thing I could do was stop contributing to their revenue. This is such a shame, I guess all these celebrities ' visiting made this hotel snobbish and forgot it is a hotel for the general public. They probably forgot as consumer we have our rights. Maybe our rights is so inappreciable comparing to the fame/ wealth of celebrities. I am not sure that GM is fictional or not,that person had NO time to deal with me at all. I won't recommend this hotel to any of my friends/ colleagues. There are other hotels, maybe a few miles away from Birmingham, but they won't take your business for granted.

Anyways, beautiful yet old hotel. Front desk staff are nice. Rugby grill is delightful .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Steven K, General Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Peanutqq,

First of all, thank you for your comments regarding your stay at The Townsend. Feedback is always important to us and we take all feedback seriously. Because of its importance, as Managing Director of the hotel, I respond personally to each and every comment.

I also reached out to you via your communication you sent to me on Twitter, inviting you to call and speak with me but you have chosen not to this.

I would like to mention that I have been involved with your alleged missing items since you brought it to our attention however, based on our findings, there is no indication that we received or at anytime had in our possession, any items from your guest room. We feel we are not responsible as a result. At no time did we offer compensation of any type to you for the lost clothes as again, we felt we were never in the possession of these items.

Regarding your comments on your pet dog, like most hotels we do collect a fee to thoroughly clean and also steam clean the guest room after a pet has stayed to ensure the next guest staying has clean accommodations. Unfortunately your pet had many "accidents" and as a result, we had to remove the carpet because of the damage caused. We have not charged you for this.

The Townsend Hotel for the past 25 years has been known for service levels of the highest standard and although appreciating your comments, we respectively disagree with your review.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

A top-notch yet unassuming hotel. I was with a work group, and we kept saying how we felt like "rockstars" from the way we were treated by the staff. My room had a funky smell but I was too lazy to complain.

Beautiful clean rooms, fast room service, delightful restaurant (I ate there 4 times!).

• Stayed July 2013
Steven K, General Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Grateful01,

Thank you for your kind comments!

We are delighted you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon to The Townsend!

St Maarten-St Martin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Excellent service, great beds, top-notch restaurant and a lively atmosphere make the Townsend a perennial mainstay. I can't say enough about this great hotel. Properly updated and a timeless classic.

The lavish lobby remains welcoming. The staff, younger these days than when the hotel first opened, are still professional without being too chummy.

The Rugby Grille has been updated and expanded. There is now an outdoor seasonal terrace as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Steven K, General Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for choosing us again and for your kind comments on your recent stay!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

The Townsend Hotel
Yoxall
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have stayed at the Townsend over the last 15 years and mostly the experience has been excellent over that period. The positives for this stay continue to be an excellent restaurant, pleasant lobby and its proximity to Birmingham providing many options for eating in the evening. On my recent stay I had a room that felt like a prison cell, permanently dark, doors and lifts clanking all the time and just generally horrible (I think it was 213 or 214). To be fair I have had some excellent rooms in the past, so perhaps I can overlook that. The attitude of the reception staff when I mentioned the room seemed to be completely to be at a loss as to what to do and they resorted to "Is there anything else I can help you with". Other parts of the hotel (e.g the gym) are starting to look very tired and probably have not changed over that 15 years I have been going. For the location a yes, for the rooms, maybe, for the price probably not.

Room Tip: Avoid 213/214 or anywhere near a lift.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Steven K, Managing Director at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Partner792,

Thank you for your kind comments and for choosing to stay with us over the past 15 years.

I was certainly disappointed to hear of your most recent experience and do apologize for this. It is certainly not indicative of the fine quality we represent over the past years. We are going through a rejuvenation of the property with focus on our guest rooms having just completed our restaurant and lobby areas.

On your next trip to Birmingham, please come and speak to me personally so I can make amends.

I thank you for being a loyal customer and look forward to your return trip.

Townsend Hotel
Moorestown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were invited to a wedding in Bloomfield Hills and found The Townsend on Trip Advisor. Hotel is superb! Staff were helpful, room was lovely, great location in the town. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Steven K, General Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Gelmanf,

Thank you for selecting The Townsend Hotel and your kind comments regarding your stay! We appreciate so much your feedback and were pleased we exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to the Bloomfield/Birmingham Michigan areas!

Troy, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This hotel was excellent in every way. For my birthday we chose to stay close to home and go to some of our favorite restaurants and enjoy a relaxing weekend away. The location was central to everywhere we wanted to be and was very convenient. The room was a luxury suite and was perfect. There was ample space to unpack and put everything away. The bed and linens were very comfortable. The bathroom was spotless and very luxurious. There were plenty of electrical outlets so we could charge all of our gadgets. The sitting room was cozy and comfortable. The room service was great not only for the service, but also the food. The staff everywhere in the hotel was helpful and nice. The service was excellent. We enjoyed the balcony and the newspapers delivered to our door each morning.

I cannot wait to come back. It was superb from beginning to end.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Steven K, General Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments and for selecting The Townsend Hotel in "walkable" Birmingham!

We are of course very pleased we exceeded your expectations and look forward to having you return....soon!

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was told it was amazing... And came away very disappointed. Our view from room 314 looked like a prison, we heard every door open and slam on the floor, the elevator door, people talking in the corridor all night... and for breakfast I was asked to come back because they were full and they were fully booked for afternoon tea. As a paying guest at the hotel.. I think that's unacceptable and won't stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Steven K, General Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Simon L,

Thank you for your comments and for staying with The Townsend Hotel on your recent visit to the Birmingham area.

We certainly apologize you were unhappy with your room accommodations and that you had to wait for restaurant reservations. If you had spoken to one of our receptionists we would have certainly made an attempt to move you to another room. We also strongly encourage advanced reservations as The Rugby Grille Restaurant and our Afternoon Tea service are both quite popular venues in Birmingham.

Please contact me directly should your travels return you to the area so I can personally oversee your arrangements.

Again, our apologies.

Managing Director

Been to The Townsend Hotel? Share your experiences!