“unhappy repeat customer” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Birmingham
glenwood springs, CO
“unhappy repeat customer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Took my family to my hometown for my niece's wedding last week. I made reservation three months ahead of time and received no email confirmation but was charged a deposit for the room. When I called on the way to the hotel that morning, they had no record of my reservation and actually booked me for Feb 19th instead of April 19th. The deposit charged me was actually a one night's charge for both of the rooms I reserved since I did not check in on Feb 19. They promised to reverse the charges. We were able to get a suite and adjoining room for my kids to sleep in with a horrible view overlooking the loading dock. My sister dropped off a welcome present for the kids and when I checked on it after check in later that day, the front desk and concierge said there was nothing for me and that they would investigate and get back to me. Needless to say, no one got back to me. The next day there was a more helpful person at the front desk and was able to find out that the gift did arrive and was put into the wrong room by the Bellman. So that was lost. I am also waiting to see the reversed charges on my credit card as well.
We also found out on the second day that the minibar in our kids' room had a broken lock. Our two year old got into it and actually opened a small bottle of Ketel one vodka not knowing what it was. She did not appear to drink very much because of the taste so we had them empty the minibar. Housekeeping anknowledged that they knew this minibar lock was broken.
The hotel was good in the past and would rate it a 4 out of 5 but it is not very child friendly and the adjacent hall and room noise is quite loud. This hotel would close in a month if they had any quality competition such as a Ritz, Four Seasons, JW MArriott etc.
Much of the staff was were friendly, probably would not go back because of lack of service and amenities for the price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Townsendresponse, Guest Relations Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Thank you for returning and for sharing your disappointment with your last visit to The Townsend. We do apologize for the confusion with your reservation and were happy to refund the first no show. We would also like to apologize for this inexcusable oversight of the gift bag and for not attempting to retrieve that gift bag for you when we had the opportunity to do so.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to follow-up with the our Mini-bar attendant, who was asked by your wife if she would remove everything from the min-bar in the room occupied by your children. She remembers removing everything from the Mini-bar but does not recall having a conversation in regard to the lock being broken, partially consumed product or your son twisting off the top of a vodka bottle to consume vodka.

Mr. Nichole, again, thank you, for returning, thank you for sharing your disappointments and please accept our apologies for a far less then perfect return to Detroit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Birmingham is a charming town. Best time to visit is Spring or late Summer/early autumn. Great shopping, good restaurants, safe, pedestrian friendly. The Townsend is as good as it gets. Terrific bar/lounge, great restaurant, terrific service.

Room Tip: Corner rooms with balcony are nice.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Townsendresponse, Guest Relations Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We would agree that Birmingham is a charming town. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I have been staying at this gem of a hotel for nearly 20 years. It has always delivered a very high standard in all areas. Every member of the staff is completely focused on you and your stay. Yes it is pricey. However should you be able to see fit to know that the price is worth every penny this hotel will allow you to have a wonderful stay. Don't miss the house made chips in The Rugby Grill!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the post! We are delighted to be of service to you during your stays. We look forward to more in the future.
East Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Beautiful hotel with 5 star quality and service is always consistent. I stay here primarily for business meetings but could see it being a lovely weekend getaway with my husband. I checked in and they didn't have a room in my category ready so was upgraded to a beautiful suite with small balcony. It was spacious with a couch and desk in the living room area. We used the Hunter boardroom for our meeting and had lunch served to us there from the Rugby grill. Excellent food and service and a very comfortable and beautiful boardroom. My room was very nice and the bed extremely comfortable. I came back from dinner to a wonderful turndown service with a fabulous box of chocolate on the bed as well. Room service for breakfast was prompt and delicious. My only nitpick is a hotel of the quality should have a stand alone, walk-in shower. The shower was in the tub with a flimsy cotton curtain that pulled around and kept blowing in on me. Otherwise a fabulous stay as always. Seabronetta (sp?) at the front desk has been a fixture at this hotel and always greets with a smile and is very friendly. She is memorable!

Room Tip: The upgraded suite is wonderful! No idea on price as I was here on business and room was taken care...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback in regards to your stay with us. We were delighted to hear that you had an excellent time. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Overall, the hotel is quite nice. Rooms are large and clean. Restaurant was fine. But my room (and several rooms around it) on the second floor were right above the garage, with its motorized garage door that opened and closed as cars drove in and out. There was heavy traffic on a weekday until about 12:30 at night. It started again at 4 AM. It shook the room and made very loud noises. When I informed the staff in the morning, they didn't seem to much care, though they said they would report it to their GM. I barely got an apology. Avoid rooms 205, 207 and 209 for sure!

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your stay. Unfortunately, you stayed with us at a time when we were having issues with our garage door. We do apologize for the inconvenience druing your stay and look forward to having you with us again.
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

For holidays, special events, and so forth, when we cannot accommodate friends and family at our own address, we always recommend they stay here.

The rooms are all nicely kept, comfortable, and reasonably priced considering the amenities and services. We also enjoy their restaurant, and from time to time enjoy drinks at their cozy bar.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Townsendresponse, Guest Relations Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Thank you for entrusting your valued guests with us. We look forward to continuing to be of service.
Northville,Mi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

I called about a problem with the hotel and asked for the General Manager. I was transfered to his office, his assitant answered.
I told her I would like to speak with the GM and 'no one else' and guess what......6 hours later a manager of a department called.

It took 6 hours for anyone to call me then I was passed on to a department when I asked not to be.

They have no competition and act as so

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Townsendresponse, Guest Relations Manager at The Townsend Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
We do apologize that you were unable to speak with our Managing Director as he was out of town at the time and we wanted to have someone reach out to you as soon as possible. We do hope to have you as our guest soon.

Been to The Townsend Hotel? Share your experiences!