“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I ate dinner at Griffin Claw
8/17/13

Beer is ok, not special at all and they don't even serve them in the appropriate type of glass that a "beer garden" should have. No wine, they do not carry any drinks but beer, water and a can of coke.

Skip the food!! They had Frozen burgers and bottled salad dressing. We were sitting trying to enjoy our beer/food and over 7 times staff members tried to take our food away..

4 people got burgers and beer and it was over $100....... For frozen food!!!!!!

I would not go back!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Worth a visit for the beer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I've now tried Griffin Claw twice and came away with the same experience on both occasions, and the restaurant deserves a split decision. First, as I was told, they are a brewery. I've tried 4 of the 10-12 beers on offer, and I've found them quite good. Also, they've done a nice job on creating a casual communal environment that is reminiscent of a German beer garden. In reviewing the food, I would have to call it average. We've now had the fish and chips, the sausage sandwich, the grilled cheese and the fish sandwich, and they were all fine, but unremarkable. The brat in the sausage sandwich was just a brat. In other words, I was hoping for that standout locally made version that would separate it from the other, in the same way they are trying to do so with their beer. Similarly, we were hoping for a standout fish and chips, and it was extra heavy on the crunch, which distracted from the fish. Again. Fine. One important note that we learned the hard way, they can only serve that which is brewed on the premises, so if you do not like beer, you are stuck with only soft drinks. No wine. No hard cider. No spirits. I'm told that they are moving on to a distilling operation next, so perhaps the vodka crowd will be swayed.

• Visited August 2013