“Very impressed” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Big Rapids
Oswego
“Very impressed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

I was very impressed with this quality inn. I stay at choice hotels probably at least 80 nights a year and this is one of the nicest quality inns ive stayed at. Very clean and even though it is the old outside entry style it looks like its been renovated recently. Also the night shift employee went above and beyond to help me. I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in town.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My mom is handicapped and was having special tests in Grand Rapids last week and the doctor advised us not to travel far, but we could go about an hour or two, but not all the way back home 4 plus hours. So I read the reviews and called this hotel. I explained from the beginning that I needed adjoining rooms and handicapped accessible. When I called back to confirm my reservations and that they were adjoining rooms on 1st floor for handicapped the manager answered - VJ and he said the original guy gave me an upper floor. (P.S. there is no elevator to the 2nd floor). So he fixed it and promised me adjoining rooms on 1st floor so I could take care of my mother. While still in Grand Rapids and getting ready to leave I called the hotel to once again confirm adjoining rooms, the situation, etc. and Jessica said everything was set and the rooms were together. *****2 hours later when I arrived the front desk man named Matt said our rooms were separate and were not adjoining and there was nothing he could do. The next morning apparently Cindy was ready for me at the front desk and barked at me that the people in the room adjoining would not move out as they were staying another day. I asked then why did Jessica tell me the night before that they were still adjoining and she must have lied in order to get me to spend money still at this hotel and Cindy said she did not lie, she just have just mispoken. Well after going back and forth taking care of my mom and kids it was my worst night ever. Also my daughter got bit in bed by one of those pincher bugs and we could see the rubber did not meet to the ground on the door and probably come in under the door so she also did not sleep the rest of the night. The next morning the breakfast would have been great, except we had to wait in line and there was only 1 waffle maker and 50 people trying to eat in a very small area. They should separate their waffle area and drink area, etc or expand. No room there in the eating area for the disabled in motorized scooters to get to the food either. ####2 - The maids kept knocking from 7:00 a.m. on and when we went to the door they said, "Oh we thought you checked out" and we kept telling them no we didnt and they 15 minutes later they would be back - sucks! Guess they really wanted to get rid of us.

Room Tip: Eat breakfast very early or there is no room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Danville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

This hotel is very close to the Ferris State University. This is a clean and quiet hotel. Rooms are nice and big, beds are very comfortable. Bathrooms look newly remodeled. Although we did not use the pool, it is a very nice outside pool. Continental Breakfast was excellant. We will Definitely stay here again !!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Lombard
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Clean, quiet hotel in a good location. Nothing fancy but does the trick. Good breakfast in the morning

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

After reading reviews for this hotel, i had my doubts, but was actually surprised. The drawback i found was their breakfast bar. The room was small (we actually couldn't find any place to sit) and the eggs are powdered eggs. YUK. But for a short overnight stay, the room was clean and close to Ferris State University.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We were doing our Upper Peninsula tour in late May, 2012. Big Rapids was our fourth and last stop before we headed home. My husband wanted to check out their White Pine (Bicycle) Trail. We booked one night, a king-sized suite. It was the best deal of all accommodations that we had made during the trip.

Check-in was friendly and professional. The room was clean, spacious, and orderly. It was not extravagant but pleasant. Everything was working as it was supposed to. The additional blanket requested late in the evening was delivered promptly.

What really floored us was the breakfast the following morning . Their continental breakfast was not just a bit watery coffee and sugary pastries/muffins. It was the real thing which included scramble eggs, sausages, waffles, bagels, cream cheese, yogurts, juices, etc. Just name a few.

It is well situated close to the campus of Ferris. So those who want to check out the university ... This is a very convenient location to stay.

My husband, a bicyclist, and I will definitely be back when we try out their trail and the surrounding scenic drives.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We booked 3 rooms for a Ferris State University Graduation on 5/4/12. We had booked them in January and after calling all over, they were the ONLY rooms left in Big Rapids. We were aprehensive since the rooms were only $90 and that even included the tax and we thougtht ..."Oh boy...what are we in for?" But we were desperate so we booked the last 3 rooms. We arrived about 1pm (check-in was at 3pm) and even though they were super busy and fully booked they did everything they could and within a matter of minutes, and a couple phone calls, they got us checked into 2 of our rooms so we could get dressed for the 3:30 ceremony. They even offered us coffee while we waited. They were super gracious and helpful and made of us feel like we were the only guests. And believe me, we weren't! The rooms were well maintained and very clean. The next morning the free continental breakfast consisted of eggs, sausage, cereal, toast, bagel, yogurt, danishes, juice and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. The lady that took care of the filling and the cleaning up was so cheery and polite. Our daughter was running late and the breakfast time was coming to a close. I could see she was starting the clean up and I was getting nervous but this nice woman said "don't worry, take your time...don't rush her. I'll leave the food out". That has never happened to us before. At other places we have stayed they sometimes start cleaning up early to give the "hint" and then glare at you if you linger over coffee. Everyone one of the staff we came in contact with were extremely pleasant and helpful. And did I mention the price of the rooms were all less than $90 each. A real bargain!! We would stay there again in a heartbeat. I travel for business quite frequently and the company puts me up in nothing less than a Hyatt or Sheraton in the $300 a night range so its not like I have nothing to compare this to. The Big Rapids Quality Inn may not have 900 square foot rooms or an ocean view but thier service is right up there with the Resort Hotels. i just wish I would have asked for the names of the staff.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!