“Really good, but empty on a Saturday night” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: South American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: http://www.bundle.com/merchant/detail/cravings-bistro-and-pub-benton-harbor-mi-22022208/
Chicago, Illinois
“Really good, but empty on a Saturday night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The food was excellent here, but a little pricy for the area. On the other hand, we would have been pleased eating food this quality and tasty in any big city. For a "sports bar" atmosphere, not very lively on a Saturday night. After 9 pm, they were offering craft beers on tap for $3 (normally $5 to $6) and wings for $.50/wing. While this was not advertised (we overheard another waiter talking about this), this was a pleasant surprise.

Visited July 2013

Michigan
“WOW!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Great local find. Looks like it might not be all that great from the exterior. Adjacent to an old strip mall, but once inside, the place looks really nice. My wife and I went really late for dinner (at 9 pm) but we were seated in the main dining area which was nearly empty at the time. We shared an appetizer (pork belly nachos) which was really good. We both ordered fish for dinner, the wife had seared tilapia and I had plantain encrusted salmon. Both were awesome. My side was fried plantains, to which my wife asked "why have we not eaten here before?". Overall, the place was really nice and our server Melissa was very nice and helpful. She was attentive, without being bothersome. We will definitely be back and will bring friends!

Saint Joseph, Michigan
“Great surprise!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

OMgosh! This local joint just hadn't caught my interest until a friend of ours from out of state who is in town for some time recommended it. We finally went and I am kicking myself for not trying it earlier. Unbelievably awesome! Menu is unique which is exactly what we CRAVE! Had Lobster Bisque! Fantastic! Had fried plantains! My new favorite food. Mellissa our server was wonderful and had great advice on what to order. This is now one of the local joints we will routinely eat at. And we eat out a lot. Go there! Do not miss out! I am so super satisfied right now!!

Muncie, Indiana
“Skip it....reluctantly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I'd rather eat local than at a chain when traveling, so when out hotel recommended this, we were there. The atmosphere is cool, looks good. No one was at or near the door when we arrived, so we stood around for a bit. Until a waitress stumbled upon us and seated us. Hubby got a great craft microbrew, and we ordered off the eclectic menu. Hummus was nothing special, but ok. I ordered grilled shrimp salad - awful mess. The description sounded rapturous - grilled shrimp, toasted coconut tossed with mixed greens, toasted/candied pecans, pomegranate dressing. I got about a teaspoon of coconut which didn't appear to be toasted. The dressing, which I asked to be on the side, tasted like buttered olive oil - it had a pink tint to it, but nowhere did I find any pomegranate taste..... Shrimp was indeed grilled - with zero flavor - no seasoning whatsoever. The pecans looked as though they had been poured from the bottom of a bag - certainly not toasted or candied. My daughter got scallops. She rated them "ok," with little flavor, and served lukewarm. Hubby did enjoy his coconut chicken. Our waitress warmed up to us and was genial, though not as attentive given the few customers. Unfortunately, reminded me of an episode of Kitchen Nightmares. The owner is also the chef, but perhaps he has too much eclectic on the menu, or not quite enough talent. For the $100 we spent, I was sorely disappointed.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Baroda, Michigan
“Excellent Food!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I'd have to say that this was the best meal I have ever had! I had the toasted coconut Hawaiian chicken.....absolutely delicious!! The staff was friendly and the service was great. I would highly recommend this place.

• Visited June 2013