“First timer...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Benton Harbor

You added Motel 6 Benton Harbor to your Saves list
Motel 6 Benton Harbor
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   2063 Pipestone Rd, I-94 at Exit 29/Pipestone Rd, Benton Harbor, MI 49022   |
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Benton Harbor
Sacramento, California
2,170 helpful votes 2,170 helpful votes
“First timer...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

This was my first time staying at a Motel 6. While in Benton Harbor, MI, I had a minor mechanical issue with my RV and had to spend the night. Chose this Motel 6 as it was a short walk from where my RV was being repaired. I found that the staff there to be somewhat deceitful as I had made the reservation online prior to walking over to the Motel to check in. On arrival, the rate that I had been quoted online was not correct and wanted to charge me ten bucks more. I showed him the email confirmation I received and he relented to the quoted price. Ideally, you do not want to deal with people like this. The room was however clean, and the A/C worked properly. Surprisingly, the bed was comfortable and bathroom was clean. Aside from the management, the only other complaint is the walls are super thin and our neighbors were disruptive until around midnight. I seriously doubt that I could recommend Motel 6 franchises if this is an example of how they are run. Not sure what else is in the area within walking distance of where my RV was being repaired, however, should I ever get stuck in Benton Harbor again, Motel 6 will definitely will not be on list of accommodations. If you in the area, suggest you look elsewhere if needing accommodations.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere....
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

When we arrived, the owner was arguing with the customer ahead of us because they apparently couldn't understand what the customer was saying (owners are South Asian). Our keys didn't work because the battery in the door was dead, so we had to have the owners let us back in every time we left the room. The room smelled musty, and both the toilet seat and flush lever were broken. I would drive 100 miles to another hotel before staying here again.

• Stayed June 2014
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

At check in I was repeatedly asked by the indian owner if I had anyone else traveling with me EVEN though I told him NO- SEVERAL times. Apparently their rates are charged per person and not based on how many beds are in the room. Most places a standard room will accomodate up to 2 people, apparently not here. After being asked the 3rd time, I finally said, do you want to check my car trunk to see if there is anyone else traveling with me? I was then told that they do a "bed check" and knock on doors to see how many people are occupying the room around 10pm. At that point I demanded my money back and left to go down the street to the Red Roof Inn. No freakin way is a piece of crap motel going to invade my privacy like that!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Made reservation through THEIR website for the next night.
While traveling to the motel, I get an email and voicemail telling me that I'm being charged NEARLY DOUBLE.
Their reason?
For some reason there MIGHT have been a problem with the website that gave us the lower price (on par with local rates).
When I told them I had a confirmation with the original rate, the 'owner' began talking over me saying he wouldn't accept it and that I would be charged the new rate.
Finally through their customer service they lowered the rate to a mid point, we took it so we didn't have to go look anywhere else.
Rooms were TRASH.. The roaches had bed bugs, and the bed bugs had cancer from eating the trash on the floor.
NEVER AGAIN.

Stayed March 2014
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

It was late and the snow was blowing all over the place as we attempted the three-hour drive from Holland, Michigan to Chicago. We were tired and just wanted a bed and checked into the Motel 6 in Benton Harbor.

This is probably the most basic room I've ever stayed in - there was a bed (comfortable), desk, dresser, shower, fridge and microwave. It wasn't pretty but it wasn't dirty or scary. The room was quiet even tho the rooms on either side of us were also occupies, and it had everything we needed for the one night until we could get back on the road. Also the price for the night was extremely cheap.

Would I stay here for more than one night if I was planning a trip? Probably not. But it was perfect for what we needed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

The carpet was filthy, the drapes did not close all the way an the staff was very uncaring. I actually fell coming out of the room , forgot the very high step , and broke my wrist. When told about this incident, they showed no concern, not even asking if I was ok. They did not even have us fill out incident report to protect themselves.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Benton Harbor, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear pinkpegasus1019,
Acester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is the worst place I have ever stayed. DO NOT stay here! We were travelling late at night and this was the only thing with a vacancy in Benton Harbor. It looked a little sketchy when we pulled up but the clerk assured me she would put us in a good room. The room stunk like smoke and cheap cleaner. As I was unloading - I was approached by a guy on a bike begging for money - it felt like my options were to give it to him or have our vehicle broken into during the night. The beds were hard and uncomfortable, pillows were small and blanket was thin. I woke up with a back ache and tired. As we loaded up the begger showed up again. I complained to the front desk when checking out. They were not helpful and brushed off my complaints. This is basically a spot for long term guests - driving through the parking lot felt like driving through an inner city slum. I'm just happy we made it out with all of our belongings and didn't get mugged. We don't have high standards and are usually happy with a bed an a decent show. This place is awful! On top of it - it is NOT SAFE!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Benton Harbor? Share your experiences!