“Hit Or Miss...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 69 Restaurants in Belleville
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Hit Or Miss...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Stopped in on a busy Saturday morning, en route to a meeting. Was seated at a table almost immediately. Took hot tea and one of the Slams, The All American. Ordered at 9:18 a.m. At 9:35, I asked my server if it would be much longer. She seemed pain that I was waiting and left to find out. She emerged at 9:38 with my platter, my tea having been delivered earlier. I was hungry and dispensed with the formalities of napkin tucking and the like and dove right in... to a cold platter of food. Okay, let's see if this make any sense. Order is taking too long. Order is sitting on counter... getting cold. Makes sense to me.

I caught my server's eye, explained the problem and said I had a meeting shortly. She was overly apologetic, almost apoplectic in her distress over my meal. She took my dish at 9:42 and returned with another very shortly. Hot. And, assumedly, fresh-er. I made quick work of the food and signaled for the check.

She brought it over, apologizing profusely. I explained that while I was unhappy, this was not the end of the world. However, upon my handing her money at the cash register, she burst into tears. Normally, I get that reaction only when I sing. I put away my wallet, found the manager - my server had disappeared into the back of the store - and explained both the situation and my confusion. She, too, was confused, and offered me the number of the regional manager. Not sure why. Anyway...

I left, had my meeting, and felt that perhaps some people's pressure level are much lower than others. In the end, I ate, wasn't late and that was great.

• Visited April 2013