“Decent getaway in the off-season to Hotel Lakeview” 3 of 5 stars

Shanty Creek Resorts - Summit Village
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   5780 Shanty Creek Road, Bellaire, MI 49615   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bellaire
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Decent getaway in the off-season to Hotel Lakeview”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We went for a Thanksgiving get-away.

Nice overall but the food for the T-Day buffet was mediocre to terrible so we never took advantage of their 2 for $25 dinner special on Friday night. I think we got a free room upgrade as we booked a room with a microwave and mini-fridge but when we checked in it was a full kitchen. The appliances are older but seemed in good condition, microwaved worked but we never turned on the stove to test it and the fridge was slow making ice but there's an ice maker near the vending area anyway.It would've been good to know about the upgrade before as we could've brought some food from home to prepare after our lackluster buffet experience. The room was very nice with a not-too-firm/not-too-soft king sized bed and fireplace (one log included) and great view of the lake/ski run but sadly there was a draft coming through from the broken sliding door. We let them know about the draft and they comped us two logs.

Breakfast was good at the restaurant but a bit overpriced for what it was. My husband had bacon and eggs and I had a unique oatmeal that had berries underneath and was topped with a tasty grapefruit brulee.

November is right between golf and ski season so there's really nothing to do at the resort (which we figured as we went away just to get out of town and be close to Short's Brewery nearby) and I was surprised that there were not trails/trail maps for the resort as there are plenty of paths for the golf carts. As the indoor pool was down for maintenance and there were no other activities I thought it was a bit cheeky to charge us the resort fee but $8 a weekday and $15 a weekend day isn't too steep.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Algonac, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The sunsets were fantastic what a view!! Hard to locate the facility directions not bad but confusing signage. Golf courses nice to play this time of year not crowded. Hotel rooms were nice -needed a guide for TV channels. Hot water in the shower was great couldnt get it in the sink!. Multi-level hotel confusing to find your way from area to area. At the resort with a work confernce - no business center. I didnt bring my laptop so was only in touch with work via phone -found that inconvenient. As a vacation location being out of touch is OK, for a "working conference" not so good.

Room Tip: should specifiy one bed or two - rooms with two beds crowded
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
mitchroxy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We loved this resort! It's view of Lake Bellaire are beautiful! You're on top of the ski lift area. The rooms were wonderful and up to date. Nice patio off each room also. The breakfast buffet in the morning was wonderful! The only complaint I have with this place and it will probably stop me from going back, is the walls are so thin, that you can hear everything! We heard the kids next door up yelling past quiet hour (11 pm), and in the morning, we heard a guy throwing up and a baby crying. It was awful! I probably would of gave it a 5 star rating if it weren't for being able to hear everything and everyone around you.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room as far away from everyone else, so you can't hear them!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

A basic, controllable aspect of this sprawling resort is its signage - so why is it so bad and user-hostile? The GPS tried to get us there efficiently, but we followed the road signs and were taken on a long route. Turning into the resort itself, it was impossible to figure out where to check in. You'd think it's the building with the big "Guest Check In" sign...but no. It's at the hotel - which has no sign on it indicating its the hotel. We parked and walked a good distance because we couldn't figure out how to get into the circle drive in front. There was a friendly person greeting us, but it's unfair to expect them to make up for such sloppiness. We were given the key to our condo, the key read "L35" which we were told is actually "535". The desk person was not sure which building on the map was ours, but she circled the cluster of buildings with a pencil. We found what we thought was the building, but the room numbers mysteriously jumped from 545 to 517. We drove to another building, then went back to the first and discovered there is a lower level of rooms, not visible from the street. We met other people on the stairs who said, "Confusing, no?" Why is it so confusing? Why has this resort, which apparently handles thousands of guests a day, not figured out how to help them with absolutely clear, unambiguous, hugely obvious signage?
On a different note, our room was not a "condo room" as expected. It would be better described as a small hotel room. The King bed had Queen-size sheets on it, which we didn't realize til 2:00 in the morning when we woke up on the bare mattress. The sheet had crawled up over the corners. And there was only a Double-bed size square of felt on the mattress; someone's version of a mattress pad, I guess. It's pretty disgusting to wake up on a bare hotel mattress. At least the King sheets were delivered promptly when I called the Front Desk, and we were given $50 off our room when we checked out (some would say we should have gotten a full refund).
One more signage complaint: At breakfast at the hotel restaurant there was a sign to seat yourself in the Lounge, but we couldn't figure out where the Lounge was. The greeter then said the sign was wrong anyway, we would be seated by staff. My partner and I just looked at each other...who is managing this place??

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Novi, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We booked this resort for our labor day weekend get away, and it is not a good experience at all.

We arrived at the lobby around 3:30pm on Sat. The front desk told us we were not able to check in until 6pm... WHAT??? 6pm??? (We have two young kids with us, and there is nothing at the site that can entertain the kids for 2.5 hours.) We asked the front desk to call the room service and found out when there is room available. But they refused to do so. After we insisted to have them to call, then they told us there would be rooms available in a few minutes.

About 15 minutes passed by, we finally got our rooms. The room is very small, and the TV is tiny. No working area, I mean no desk (I guess you are not suppose to work at a resort). The balacony is facing to other room's balacony, and they are so close to each other !! You will not get any privacy at all. Even if you get a lake view room, others can still see your balacony. In the morning, I can see couples in their bathrobes and enjoying their breakfast in the balacony. Gosh! No doubt that the balacony is just too close to each other!!.

At night, after you closed the curtains, the room is very dark, and there are not enought lights inside the room. The wall between the rooms is very thin, as you can hear your next door very well. Other than that, the bathroom looks clean, and the linen looks clean.

They have indoor swimming pool, outdoor pool, and a game area inside the resort. If you have young kids, then that's about it for them. Older kids and adult could enjoy the golf course though.

One other thing I want to mention is, the food at the restaurant is pretty good, but the service is lousy. We had dinner there, and the waitress never come back to refill our drinks, or ask us about the food. She just vanished after she took the order, and vanished again after she served our food.

There are so many nice golf courses in MI, I don't think I will come back to this place as this is such a lousy hotel, or resort if you want to say so.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Worthington, Oh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Affordable at peak travel time in the Traverse City Region. Rooms were affordable and they offered us free upgrades to modern facilities for our group. This is a location to get away from it all. It is about 45 minutes to Traverse City, but it is close to popular Torch Lake spots for boating and swimming. It has upscale dining facilities, an affordable breakfast bar. Other dinning is available a few miles away in Bellaire (including McDonalds), Alden has a couple of great spots, , and my favorite, Dockside on Torch at the Clam Lake inlet. Outstanding pool, very friendly and helpful staff, I am glad to see they are hiring people from the area and can tell you anything you need to know for fishing and sight seeing. There are fish fries, activities for families, pool, and the list goes on. If you are looking for an affordable atmosphere off the beaten path with service on par with an upscale flavor without an upscale price (with the exception of evening dinning) this is a great spot to stay.

Room Tip: Call and verify the number of beds.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Windsor, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed here in July 2012 with two dozen golfers playing a Ryder Cup.

I had read several below reviews and agree with some, and disagree with others. I will lay out my "impartial review" :) I will include photos as well to assist, and yes this will get long ...

Upon arrival I was pleased. The overall look of the place is nice, older but distinguished. Check in was fine, all in all I thought the staff were great there, did not experience any problems at any time.

I thought the room was great. Clean, nicely decorated ample blankets, pillows. Fridge was awesome, even the TV was decent. It was small but had plenty of channels. I loved the bathroom, nice water closet seperating the shower and toilet. The rooms have been redone, and it shows.

The balcony was nice, however somewhat rickety. The railing is very low, I wouldnt want my kids out there, but the view was nice. We faced the pool and out to the lake.

Now I agree with some of the posts below. Our room did sort of face the dining room, and we could see people eating and vice versa. Yes somewhat strange. Our room was the second one in. I think if this is an issue, book closer to the far end and it should be fine. My buddy thought it was funny to walk around in his underwear while people ate, so take it for what it is .. haha. Seriously though, the rooms on the other side faced the parking lot so choose your poison.

We ate in the dining room twice actually. I had the rib eye both times and it was agreeable. We got vouchers for a discount at one of the golf courses if you can manage. They accomodated our group, about 18 or so of us ate both nights and they re-arranged the place to fit us in. Nice. I liked the servers too .. very friendly even though some of our group was obviously drunk/obnoxious.

I didn't make it into the pool, but it seemed popular, looked decent.

The golf:

We played all 4 of the included Shanty courses, I enjoyed them all.

Summit - The "least nice" of all the courses. We played a scamble/alt shot format at his one. It was a fairly easy course. Wide open, a fair amount of elevation changes. Better golfers will want to avoid it, for any hackers out there it is very forgiving, lots of tee options to suit. I think the forward tees were set up as a sort of par 3 course. Its cheap too, $14 after 1pm.

Shuss. One of the more flat tracks, very well groomed. There are a ton of dog-legs, most turning left. More than half the holes featured some sort of dog leg so beware. Personally I didn't mind as I have a Skycaddie, but for a first time player here, yardages might be difficult to determine with carries over the corners and such. Also my left handed buddy who hits a draw struggled all day.

The Legend. Great course, the greens here are difficult IMO. I found them very fast on the day and breaking a lot. Again like most of the courses, there are a lot of twists and turn, not a straight forward type course. yardages may be difficult to determine without GPS assistance. I liked the layout here, very exicting.

Cedar River. We played this one two times. Most will agree its the best of the bunch. Real Northern Michigan golf, elevated tees, big greens, sloping fairways, plenty of drop offs. There are some real tough holes out there, choose your tee boxes wisely, no need to be a hero, some of the holes are quite long, even downhill. There are 2 real goofy holes on the back 9, a super short par 4 then a crazy downhill par 3. You might need to drive up and take a look on those ones before you hit.

So we had a great time, and the package overall was decent. We paid somewhere in the range of $400 each which included 5 rounds, and 3 nights. Not the best deal in all of Michigan but on par or better then Treetops or Boyne.

Room Tip: Farther from the dining room will be more agreeable.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Shanty Creek Resorts - Summit Village? Share your experiences!