“We would visit again” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Bellaire
michigan
“We would visit again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I have to start by stating that I grew up staying here on the weekends with my family and learned to ski at Schuss mtn. I have great memories of this resort and it hasn't change much, that's not necessarily a good thing though. The rooms have been updated to feel more contemporary, but a major investment is needed in the bones of this resort. First, getting to your room is a real hassle, up stairs, down stairs, a real pain when your hauling gear and 2 kids. The windows need to be replaced badly throughout the resort, gusts of wind flow through them. It's an okay place, the kids loved the pool and we'll go back for the right price. I know times are tough, but they could really use some significant upgrades. The staff was very nice, but not very helpful. Dining service was slow, menu is great in appearance, not in substance. Our room was never made up even after we spoke with the maid and explained we'd be gone for 3 hours and she said shed be back in 10 minutes. Oh, one more thing, think twice before using the vending machines and arcade games, I lost about $10 due to out of order, empty and broken machines that were unmarked.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed at the rental property at Shanty Creek for three nights with a group of friends and had a great time! Our condo was a 3 bedroom 3 bathrooms, a nice kitchen, hot tub upstairs, and a great view! The condo was very clean, and nicely decorated. We were about a 5 minute drive from Schuss mountain which was very convenient for a group so large to come and go as desired. I would recommend staying to anyone looking for a nice place to sneak away to and wanting to embrace winter activities.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Milford, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

This is the second year my wife and I have stayed in a condo at Shanty Creek for a conference. This is also the second year we have been underwhelmed. Condos are certainly not worth $250 a night! We rented the condo to have more room and a place for me to hang out while my wife was at her conference. The condos are very dated. Furnishings are shabby, walls and floor are very thin. I've been listening to the family staying upstairs for 2 days.

I hear the hotel is nicer with recent updates, although I have not seen any of the rooms.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

My husband and I made a reservation 3 weeks ago to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We have reserved the King Spa Parlor at Summit Village with the ski package. I received a call today that there will be a snowmobile race (unknown to them at the time of our reservation) on our reserved weekend, closing Summit to skiing and occupying most of the resort. They offered to "upgrade" us to a suite at Cedar River for the weekend and informed us that there would still be skiing at Schuss Mountain. The "complementary upgrade" that was offered was valued at nearly $100 less per night and accommodations were not nearly as nice as we originally booked. We opted to cancel our stay altogether and requested a refund. It is now 10 days until our anniversary and we are without plans. Left with such short notice, rooms are unavailable at nearby resorts. This has been a very disappointing experience and I highly doubt we will ever stay or recommend Shanty Creek in the future. However, I will say that I at least appreciate the phone call notifying us of the change.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
traverse city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Overall it was lovely. We went there over Christmas break. The room was very nice. Did not merit the price, but it is a ski resort and they have to make their money when they can. Schuss Mountain within the resort was lovely for skiing. We had a great time. I would probably rent a condo at Cedar River next time. Tubing was great. The Shanty Creek resorts overall have improved a lot. There are some great real estate deals there too. You can get a condo at Schuss for about 10 Grand right now! We are going back next year. Highly recommend over Crystal or Boyne. This is Michigan Skiing...why would you pay Colorado prices!!! Schuss is not ridiculously expensive to ski and they have a lot of cool runs.

Room Tip: Google the name of the resort instead of using a hotel booking system. Hotel Rooms at Shanty Creek...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dublin, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a last minute room in the Traverse City area that was also pet friendly, and we decided on Summit Village based on the photos from the website and the cost of the room. When we arrived the women at the front desk were very nice and check-in only took a matter of minutes. We were given a room in a condo building that is seperate from the main building (if you bring your dog they are not permitted in the main building) and when we drove the car up to the condo building we could tell from the outside that the room was going to be just average. The room was decent size, but was in serious need of updating. It had outdated carpet, drapes and was just kind of tired. Also, the walls were ultra-thin, we could hear the guy above us talking on the phone, coughing and hear his TV quite clearly. The bed was comfortable however, and we had no other problems with the room. We weren't in there all that much, but from the photos on the website we were definitely expecting a little more. I will give a lot of credit to the staff, they were very helpful to us. Our dog got a very serious cut on her leg and they gave us the number and address of the local animal hospital very quickly, and we had a few other small requests that were taken care of right away. I will say that the lodge is very nice, the rates for ski rental is very fair too. Would I stay at this resort again? Yes I would, but I would definitely leave the dog at home so I could get a room in the main building. Also, the little town of Bellaire that is 2 minutes from the resort is awesome and has some great restaurants and is filled with friendly people. If you have any questions about the resort please feel free to email me! Thanks for reading.

Room Tip: Leave your dog at home, the pet friendly rooms aren't great!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Canton, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Just got back from a one night stay at Shanty Creek resort (we stayed in the hotel area.) The hotel rooms look just like they do online. They have been updated and basically remind me of a Best-Western type feel. Our stay wasn't bad- but we just didn't feel like we were somewhere special. The hotel is very old; you can just tell. It kind of smells funny.

We went in Oct and there wasn't too much to do.

We ate at the restaurant and enjoyed the fried cheese, and brie chicken wraps. They were expensive, although on the lower end of expensive. However, I did not like the lamb tips and couldn't eat them. My hubby ordered a $25 steak and it tasted really bad to both of us. I hate to say that b/c the service was extremely nice, but the food was a little lacking. They did cut our bill down b/c I couldn't eat the lamb; that was definitely nice of them.

Overall, would not stay again. Just doesn't feel like a 'resort' at all. We went to Boyne the day before and loved it. However, I guess it is a 3 star hotel but it felt like a best western or something comparable.

Room Tip: ASk for a lakeview if you get a room in the hotel area, otherwise, you will be looking at the parkin...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Shanty Creek Resorts - Summit Village? Share your experiences!