“Did not even get opportunity to stay...” 2 of 5 stars

Shanty Creek Resorts - Summit Village
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   5780 Shanty Creek Road, Bellaire, MI 49615   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bellaire
Detroit, Michigan
“Did not even get opportunity to stay...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

My husband and I made a reservation 3 weeks ago to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We have reserved the King Spa Parlor at Summit Village with the ski package. I received a call today that there will be a snowmobile race (unknown to them at the time of our reservation) on our reserved weekend, closing Summit to skiing and occupying most of the resort. They offered to "upgrade" us to a suite at Cedar River for the weekend and informed us that there would still be skiing at Schuss Mountain. The "complementary upgrade" that was offered was valued at nearly $100 less per night and accommodations were not nearly as nice as we originally booked. We opted to cancel our stay altogether and requested a refund. It is now 10 days until our anniversary and we are without plans. Left with such short notice, rooms are unavailable at nearby resorts. This has been a very disappointing experience and I highly doubt we will ever stay or recommend Shanty Creek in the future. However, I will say that I at least appreciate the phone call notifying us of the change.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
traverse city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Overall it was lovely. We went there over Christmas break. The room was very nice. Did not merit the price, but it is a ski resort and they have to make their money when they can. Schuss Mountain within the resort was lovely for skiing. We had a great time. I would probably rent a condo at Cedar River next time. Tubing was great. The Shanty Creek resorts overall have improved a lot. There are some great real estate deals there too. You can get a condo at Schuss for about 10 Grand right now! We are going back next year. Highly recommend over Crystal or Boyne. This is Michigan Skiing...why would you pay Colorado prices!!! Schuss is not ridiculously expensive to ski and they have a lot of cool runs.

Room Tip: Google the name of the resort instead of using a hotel booking system. Hotel Rooms at Shanty Creek...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dublin, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a last minute room in the Traverse City area that was also pet friendly, and we decided on Summit Village based on the photos from the website and the cost of the room. When we arrived the women at the front desk were very nice and check-in only took a matter of minutes. We were given a room in a condo building that is seperate from the main building (if you bring your dog they are not permitted in the main building) and when we drove the car up to the condo building we could tell from the outside that the room was going to be just average. The room was decent size, but was in serious need of updating. It had outdated carpet, drapes and was just kind of tired. Also, the walls were ultra-thin, we could hear the guy above us talking on the phone, coughing and hear his TV quite clearly. The bed was comfortable however, and we had no other problems with the room. We weren't in there all that much, but from the photos on the website we were definitely expecting a little more. I will give a lot of credit to the staff, they were very helpful to us. Our dog got a very serious cut on her leg and they gave us the number and address of the local animal hospital very quickly, and we had a few other small requests that were taken care of right away. I will say that the lodge is very nice, the rates for ski rental is very fair too. Would I stay at this resort again? Yes I would, but I would definitely leave the dog at home so I could get a room in the main building. Also, the little town of Bellaire that is 2 minutes from the resort is awesome and has some great restaurants and is filled with friendly people. If you have any questions about the resort please feel free to email me! Thanks for reading.

Room Tip: Leave your dog at home, the pet friendly rooms aren't great!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Canton, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Just got back from a one night stay at Shanty Creek resort (we stayed in the hotel area.) The hotel rooms look just like they do online. They have been updated and basically remind me of a Best-Western type feel. Our stay wasn't bad- but we just didn't feel like we were somewhere special. The hotel is very old; you can just tell. It kind of smells funny.

We went in Oct and there wasn't too much to do.

We ate at the restaurant and enjoyed the fried cheese, and brie chicken wraps. They were expensive, although on the lower end of expensive. However, I did not like the lamb tips and couldn't eat them. My hubby ordered a $25 steak and it tasted really bad to both of us. I hate to say that b/c the service was extremely nice, but the food was a little lacking. They did cut our bill down b/c I couldn't eat the lamb; that was definitely nice of them.

Overall, would not stay again. Just doesn't feel like a 'resort' at all. We went to Boyne the day before and loved it. However, I guess it is a 3 star hotel but it felt like a best western or something comparable.

Room Tip: ASk for a lakeview if you get a room in the hotel area, otherwise, you will be looking at the parkin...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I recently spent the weekend here for our anniversary. We went mid-October and I was thrilled with the beautiful colors on the trees. We stayed in a room with a king size bed and a kitchenette. I liked the room, it was neat and clean and classy. The only thing I found unusual was two doors on either side of the room connecting to the rooms next door. Unfortunately, this allowed for a lot of noise in the other rooms to come in. We could easily hear what both rooms were saying even though they were talking in a normal volume. Same with the housekeeping ladies outside. They were quite loud, talking is fine just nit right by my door! I'm not sure what could be done about this, just wanted to make people aware.
The restaurant was nice, we had a dinner there one night and breakfast the next morning. Both were good, a little pricey however. All of the staff we encountered were extremely helpful and friendly. I would stay again but possibly request a room at the end or ask to be posed by empty rooms. Overall I liked it.

• Stayed October 2011
NW Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

My employer had booked this property for a large meeting. I would say we had 60% or more of the rooms booked for our group. This is important because I think it directly has to do with the water pressure issue I experienced, to discuss later.

We arrived at night and it’s a bit confusing getting into the place. There are signs, but there are so many different signs it was difficult to find exactly where we needed to go. Once we got to the lobby, check in was a breeze. They gave us a nice map to the room and where to park, and myself and my roommate were in our room (367) in short order. The room is quite large, with a very large closet, smaller bathroom, two queen beds, nice desk area, refrigerator, microwave, flat screen, and a large balcony. Plenty of outlets to charge everything – very helpful!

The room was very attractively decorated with muted colors. Carpets were clean. Very large balcony, ours overlooked the parking area but the view was still stunning from the third floor. Had we had a room on the other side of the hotel, we would have overlooked Bellaire Lake, which you can see if you walk out to the patio area on the west side of the hotel. Bar and restaurant were hopping when I got there, but due to the tiring 5 hour drive, I chose to stay in, my roommate went out and received very good service at the bar.

The bed was very comfortable, bedding was ample and cozy. I did think the pillows were a bit hard, I kept throwing it to the side and sleeping without it until my neck hurt then pulling it back over for a while. There was a nice alarm clock in the room too.

The only issue we experienced was the morning, getting ready. I don’t know if it was because we were on the top floor, or because probably everyone in the building was showering at the same time due to us all having the same start time for our meeting, but the water pressure was atrocious. And I am serious, there was none. It would come and go from a trickle to sort of spitting out of the showerhead, I had to press myself against the wall and straddle the faucet to get any water at all. Pressure was somewhat better at the faucet so I finished rinsing my hair by kneeling on the tub floor and running the water over my hair. Not acceptable. I was in such as hurry as my normal five minute shower time took 20 that I forgot to call them or tell them at checkout, as we didn’t have time to check out properly, we just left the keys in the room.

Otherwise, it was a great stay and I would definitely come back for a winter trip. I would just choose to shower at “off” times.

Room Tip: try to get a room overlooking Bellaire Lake, on the west side.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Portage, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Great place! The $10million upgrade they did a few years back really shows. If possible, get a lakeview room. The view of the lake is breathtaking! Must be the best in Michigan. Had a small screwup on my reservation, but the front desk staff was awesome and totally made things right. Very peaceful place too. The hotel can be packed, yet you still feel like you have gotten away from it all. The restaurant in the hotel is fantastic (especially the breakfast buffet and the Sunday brunch) Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Shanty Creek Resorts - Summit Village? Share your experiences!