“Cancelled the Race the Face- now we are not coming” 2 of 5 stars

Schuss Village-Shanty Creek Resorts
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1826 Schuss Mountain Lane, Bellaire, MI 49615   |
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Bellaire
michigan
“Cancelled the Race the Face- now we are not coming”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

way to go shanty creek, wait till last min to cancel a sold out event due to NOT puchasing INSURANCE for the race!! I was planning on staying there with some friends, and now we will spend our money else where. Just lost out trust, and loyalty. Plan ahead for everything, they should know that by now. I hope they a good reason for not purchasing the insurance, becuase I would bet they would have made lots of revenue that weekend. I do belive our friends had trouble getting a room up there. For now on just make sure that you call before leaving, you never know what they may have forgotten.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

My husband and I went up for a weekend and went to the Lakeview dinning room we walked to the host stand to see a dessert display that was WOW. I had the duck very nice! and my husband had the steak, he was happy to have a place in the area that serves steaks with options of diffrent steaks and diffrent preperations you can choose from. Dessert we shared the scottish tart and the chocolate cake both a chocolate lovers dream. The service is ok but the food makes up for it we will be back. The remodel of the summit we heard about but did not give it justice it is a new hotel. We loved it

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

My first exposure via the website was okay. The website is nice but it fails to describe what each room entails, which would be helpful in booking rooms. Then, I went through the entire booking process and when I pressed confirm/buy, it said there was an error and told me to call the resort. So this option was totally worthless and a waste of time.

Check-in went well and the lady was very nice. Skiing was nice but Summit Mountain's chairs are extremely slow and old. It was my first time at this resort so after going to Schuss, I realize that Schuss is the place to ski and Summit is pretty much just for the view and hotel.

Dinner at Lakeview Restaurant, which is billed as their upscale, flagship restaurant, on New Year's Eve was a disaster to say the least. We had a reservation at 9pm and arrived promptly, only to be ignored by the host for 15 minutes. The least he could have done was acknowledge our presence and explain what was going on. Apparently they were not prepared for the rush of NYE, even though numerous employees told us that it was this busy every year. If you know it is going to be busy, then be prepared!! Don't use it as an excuse. We were finally seated all the way at the edge of the restaurant by the hallway, despite numerous empty tables in the middle by the windows overlooking Lake Bellaire. The entire dinner, there were kids running around screaming and parents running around screaming at their screaming kids. This was supposed to be a romantic dinner, and claiming this restaurant as upscale was deceptive. The dinner service was awful. The first thing the waitress said to us was, "I hope you're not in a hurry, because we are so busy because of New Year's Eve. It is like this every year". Again, be prepared for the rush. Even though we didn't mind the extra time it was taking, the kids screaming didn't help, nor did the 15 minutes it took to bring a simply glass of wine. Since she warned us that it was so busy, apparently the waitress decided she didn't need to check up on us, or even ask how the food was (it was not good). The only thing that she did right was finally ask us, at the end of the meal, how things were, so we complained and she took the dinners off the bill. What an absolute disappointment after looking forward to a nice meal on NYE. We were so peeved that we skipped the party at Ivan's and went back to the room where we knew nothing else could be screwed up.

We checked out the next day and during checkout, not once did the person ask how my stay was or anything to that effect. They hold the resort out as an nice place. I expect better customer service. Especially considering I spent at least $1,000 in 2 days between lodging, food and skiing. At these rates, in Michigan, I expect more. I will not be returning and I will not recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
ann arbor, michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

We stayed at the Summit Lodge for a golf weekend. The location was excellent, since it was central to the various courses on the Shanty Creek property. Since the lodge building is obviously not new, I expected the rooms to be a bit dated. But I was pleasantly surprised to find they were renovated and very comfortable. The hotel photos are very accurate. We had a large room with two queen beds. They were extremely comfortable mattresses and nice linens. Accommodations included a flat screen HD television, coffee pot, and wireless Internet access. Our room had a wide balcony overlooking beautiful views of Lake Bellaire. There was a table and chairs so that you could sit outside.

The lodge also offers a lovely restaurant with huge windows looking down on the lake. Unfortunately, we found the food to be very mediocre for what we paid. We ate breakfast two mornings and ordered off the menu. A standard egg, bacon, potato and toast plate ran about $12. Juice and coffee were extra. I ordered grapefruit juice and got some kind of Hi-C drink. I have better breakfast at the local diner for less than half the price. On Sunday, we paid $18 for the brunch. A chef cooked omelets to order, and they were good. There was also an assortment of pastries, fruit, sausage, and potatoes. On Saturday night we ate dinner in the restaurant. Again, it did not begin to meet expectations for the price point. My pasta dish was under seasoned, bordering on bland. The wine selection is just so-so.

In summary -- the hotel rooms live up to promotions for the recent renovation. I'm not sure what they are charging just for the room. Our golf package was $350, and included three rounds of golf, two nights lodging, and one dinner. The restaurant looks nice and includes a very nice small bar. But the food was disappointing across the board.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Swartz Creek, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

My husband and I stayed 1 night in March '08. It was late in the ski season so not many people were there. We were going up for a romatic weekend so when we saw that the parking lot was nearly empty we were happy. Upon arrival check in was very easy. The room looked great as it had been recently remodeled. Everything was great until we realized that we had an adjoining room that had a 1 1/2 inch gap at the bottom of the door. Talk about lack of privacy. At first we thought no big deal there probably isn't anyone in that room since there didn't seem to be many people staying at that time of year. Boy were we wrong! We were staying next to the loud family of 4. It was horrible because they were so loud. We should have asked to switch rooms but we were already settled. The only way we could get away from the loud family was to spend some time in the shower. I have to say the large tile shower is great. The water was hot and they provide Bath and Body Works shampoo/conditioner. On the upside the balcony was great...if you don't mind that every balcony is connected. But the view is AWESOME!

We ate dinner at the bar in the lobby. Service was slow at first but then the bartender started waiting on us and he was great. Food was good enough. Bartender was great, he gave us the drinks that the waitress ordered by accident.

Overall I would go back but I would NOT stay in an adjoining room. I'm sure this resort was a very posh place to stay back in it's prime and they are trying very hard to bringing it back up to the standards that people expect today. Would probably be great for a ski weekend with friends.

• Liked — Newly remodled
  • Disliked — The adjoining room factor
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Western Michigan, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

Schuss Village is very old and dirty. It needs to be remodled (or like one of the employees told me, it needs to be torn down and rebuilt). Thank goodness we only stayed one night. Upon check in I asked and recieved an upgraded room. I'm not even curious what our original room would have been like. The carpet was dirty, there was a musty moldy smell throughout the very small room. The water pressure was barely enough to shower and the 4 of us immediately ran out of hot water. The AC was very poor and the beds were old and sagging. The only positive was the staff was friendly. We disliked our stay so much that we didn't sleep much and got up very early and left. Apparently the word is out because the entire place was like a ghost town. I know travel is down but compared to the rest of our trip in Northern Michigan this place is suffering more. I would definitely try the Summit or Cedar Village if I returned but in no way would consider going back to Schuss Village unless they re-build.

• Liked — The staff was friendly inspite of the circumstances.
  • Disliked — The room was smelly and dirty.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

We stayed at the Cedar River resort for an anniversary trip and really enjoyed it there. The rooms were very clean and they were also very large. We visited during off season so there was not a lot to do in the surrounding areas nor were there very many other guests. Most of the shops in the downtown area were closed for whatever reason but Gaylord and Traverse City weren't very far away for shopping. The resort itself has many hiking/bike trails and pools which were all very nice and clean. Everything in the Cedar River area was very well maintained and the staff was very pleasant. We drove through the other areas and Cedar River and Summit seemed to be the best maintained properties. We drove through Schuss and felt like we were driving into 1970. We were both very pleased with our accomodations and would definitely stay at this resort again.

• Liked — Room with jacuzzi/fireplace/balcony
  • Disliked — Bellaire is in the middle of nowhere
  • Stayed August 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Schuss Village-Shanty Creek Resorts? Share your experiences!