“Lakeview Hotel was good crappy Food!” 1 of 5 stars

Schuss Village-Shanty Creek Resorts
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1826 Schuss Mountain Lane, Bellaire, MI 49615   |
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Bellaire
Westland, Michigan
“Lakeview Hotel was good crappy Food!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed at the Lakeview hotel and the rooms were really nice also the view was great. The foot was horrible the cooks here do not know how to cook even the simplest things. Go Downtown Bell Aire at "shorts" great food great beer!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Novi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We had 1 night to get away and thought we'd take our 6 year old to try skiing. Check-in at the hotel is 6pm (or later) and check out is noon. Hardly a whole day's stay. The room was adequate, and the tub/shower/bathroom was quite clean. However, the microwave in the room couldn't be used. When we tried to use it, it blew the circuit and all the power in the room. It took over 30 minutes to find someone to fix it. At 4:30am, we awoke to staff taking their break in the lobby which was right below our room - and talking like it was the middle of the day - quite loudly. After listening to their conversation from our room for over 20 minutes, I got dressed and trudged downstairs where I found access to the lobby was locked. All doors leading tot he lobby from inside and outside where locked tight, so I had to stand outside looking in one of the windows at the staff - when they finally disbursed. That lasted only about 30 minutes when they decided to reconvene. This happened 3 times total and we never made it back to sleep. I did complain to the front desk, and the manager comped us breakfast (big deal), but it still made for a very hard day since none of us really got much sleep. If you want to get any sleep, make sure your room is not right above the lobby!!

Also, if you're going in the winter to ski - make sure you brought your hiking boots, because - Parking is HORRIBLE. Only about 10 parking spaces in the immediate area which are always filled. The rest of the parking is a long walk.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Wanted to let you know that my husband & I checked out late last night. We have since checked into The Grand Traverse Resort & Spa.

We purchased a Groupon for your hotel. We had planned to stay for four nights.

Sunday when we arrived my husband spoke to the front desk about our upgraded room's maintenance issues. These concerns were taking care of promptly on Monday Morning.

1) Furnace Filter had not been changed since May of 2012
2) Fan in the bathroom broken
3) Hair Dryer not working (Resulted in my hair being wet for dinner in your restaurant)
4) Spa Tub would not drain. Water sat in the tub till maintenance could come the following morning.

Yesterday, we orderd room service. We left the room around noon, came back around 6pm. When we arrived back to the room. Our meals were sitting in the hallway across from our room. Six Hours later.

I called the front desk, spoke with a front desk girl ******* (actual name omitted from email) She was difficult to speak too, was the most rude ,unprofessional individual I have encountered in a long time. During our conversation she told me that WE seemed to have allot of issues with our stay, AND how did we know that was our food in the hallway? I then asked her to call the hotel manager at home ... She said SURE & HUNG UP ON ME! I called her back told her to get the tray & did not appreciate her sarcastic tone. My husband & I took a nap found THE SAME TRAY IN THE HALLWAY 3 HOURS LATER. WE CHECKED OUT @ 10 PM AT NIGHT!!! This was the ABSOLUTE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED!!!!

I have been a regional manager in the service industry for over 15 years. This is simply NOT how you do business. I want some compansation for this unbelievable experience. I also feel this young lady who is running your front desk should have repercussions to deal with Customer Service training to start with! I would love to discuss further in detail if you so choose. I have contacted Groupon about this dreadful stay.

Thank-you for your time advance!

(No management is on premises when GM goes home for the day)

This email was sent to the GM & Director of operations at this resort. NO CALL BACK FROM EITHER GENTLEMAN. Groupon However did contact me & compensated us for the terrible treatment & stay. Won't EVER do business with this resort!

GROUPON IS A STAND UP CUSTOMER SERVICE BASED COMPANY! THANK-YOU GROUPON!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We just got back from a second short ski trip to Schuss. We did not stay on the property, but we had such a wonderful experience at the ski resort and ski school I needed to leave a note for others. schuss is fairly small, smaller than Boyne Mountain which is not far away. However, it was less expensive, a lot more convenient, and the staff and instructors could not have been nicer or more helpful. We had 17, 16, 15, 13, and 7 year olds with us, one expert snow boarder and one who had never been on skiis and everything in between. We had a great time. We signed up for ski school on line the night before, and the fee included the rental. THen, when we got to the resort, we parked literally 150 feet from the rental shop - no long-haul with kids and junk in tow. Everything was close and easy, and the staff was extremely helpful. By the end of 2 days, the beginner was trying the black diamond hills, and our 7 year old was skiing with us on all of the green slopes. We had a blast, the weather was great, everything was super organized, clean and easy to figure out. The service in the restaurant was great- but the food was just OK, maybe a little more creativity in the kitchen, but overall this was perfect. So covenient. For beginner/intermediate skiers, this is the place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

way to go shanty creek, wait till last min to cancel a sold out event due to NOT puchasing INSURANCE for the race!! I was planning on staying there with some friends, and now we will spend our money else where. Just lost out trust, and loyalty. Plan ahead for everything, they should know that by now. I hope they a good reason for not purchasing the insurance, becuase I would bet they would have made lots of revenue that weekend. I do belive our friends had trouble getting a room up there. For now on just make sure that you call before leaving, you never know what they may have forgotten.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

My husband and I went up for a weekend and went to the Lakeview dinning room we walked to the host stand to see a dessert display that was WOW. I had the duck very nice! and my husband had the steak, he was happy to have a place in the area that serves steaks with options of diffrent steaks and diffrent preperations you can choose from. Dessert we shared the scottish tart and the chocolate cake both a chocolate lovers dream. The service is ok but the food makes up for it we will be back. The remodel of the summit we heard about but did not give it justice it is a new hotel. We loved it

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

My first exposure via the website was okay. The website is nice but it fails to describe what each room entails, which would be helpful in booking rooms. Then, I went through the entire booking process and when I pressed confirm/buy, it said there was an error and told me to call the resort. So this option was totally worthless and a waste of time.

Check-in went well and the lady was very nice. Skiing was nice but Summit Mountain's chairs are extremely slow and old. It was my first time at this resort so after going to Schuss, I realize that Schuss is the place to ski and Summit is pretty much just for the view and hotel.

Dinner at Lakeview Restaurant, which is billed as their upscale, flagship restaurant, on New Year's Eve was a disaster to say the least. We had a reservation at 9pm and arrived promptly, only to be ignored by the host for 15 minutes. The least he could have done was acknowledge our presence and explain what was going on. Apparently they were not prepared for the rush of NYE, even though numerous employees told us that it was this busy every year. If you know it is going to be busy, then be prepared!! Don't use it as an excuse. We were finally seated all the way at the edge of the restaurant by the hallway, despite numerous empty tables in the middle by the windows overlooking Lake Bellaire. The entire dinner, there were kids running around screaming and parents running around screaming at their screaming kids. This was supposed to be a romantic dinner, and claiming this restaurant as upscale was deceptive. The dinner service was awful. The first thing the waitress said to us was, "I hope you're not in a hurry, because we are so busy because of New Year's Eve. It is like this every year". Again, be prepared for the rush. Even though we didn't mind the extra time it was taking, the kids screaming didn't help, nor did the 15 minutes it took to bring a simply glass of wine. Since she warned us that it was so busy, apparently the waitress decided she didn't need to check up on us, or even ask how the food was (it was not good). The only thing that she did right was finally ask us, at the end of the meal, how things were, so we complained and she took the dinners off the bill. What an absolute disappointment after looking forward to a nice meal on NYE. We were so peeved that we skipped the party at Ivan's and went back to the room where we knew nothing else could be screwed up.

We checked out the next day and during checkout, not once did the person ask how my stay was or anything to that effect. They hold the resort out as an nice place. I expect better customer service. Especially considering I spent at least $1,000 in 2 days between lodging, food and skiing. At these rates, in Michigan, I expect more. I will not be returning and I will not recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Schuss Village-Shanty Creek Resorts? Share your experiences!