“IF YOU LIKE TERRIBLE TREATMENT...STAY HERE!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Schuss Village-Shanty Creek Resorts to your Saves list
Schuss Village-Shanty Creek Resorts
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1826 Schuss Mountain Lane, Bellaire, MI 49615   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bellaire
“IF YOU LIKE TERRIBLE TREATMENT...STAY HERE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Wanted to let you know that my husband & I checked out late last night. We have since checked into The Grand Traverse Resort & Spa.

We purchased a Groupon for your hotel. We had planned to stay for four nights.

Sunday when we arrived my husband spoke to the front desk about our upgraded room's maintenance issues. These concerns were taking care of promptly on Monday Morning.

1) Furnace Filter had not been changed since May of 2012
2) Fan in the bathroom broken
3) Hair Dryer not working (Resulted in my hair being wet for dinner in your restaurant)
4) Spa Tub would not drain. Water sat in the tub till maintenance could come the following morning.

Yesterday, we orderd room service. We left the room around noon, came back around 6pm. When we arrived back to the room. Our meals were sitting in the hallway across from our room. Six Hours later.

I called the front desk, spoke with a front desk girl ******* (actual name omitted from email) She was difficult to speak too, was the most rude ,unprofessional individual I have encountered in a long time. During our conversation she told me that WE seemed to have allot of issues with our stay, AND how did we know that was our food in the hallway? I then asked her to call the hotel manager at home ... She said SURE & HUNG UP ON ME! I called her back told her to get the tray & did not appreciate her sarcastic tone. My husband & I took a nap found THE SAME TRAY IN THE HALLWAY 3 HOURS LATER. WE CHECKED OUT @ 10 PM AT NIGHT!!! This was the ABSOLUTE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED!!!!

I have been a regional manager in the service industry for over 15 years. This is simply NOT how you do business. I want some compansation for this unbelievable experience. I also feel this young lady who is running your front desk should have repercussions to deal with Customer Service training to start with! I would love to discuss further in detail if you so choose. I have contacted Groupon about this dreadful stay.

Thank-you for your time advance!

(No management is on premises when GM goes home for the day)

This email was sent to the GM & Director of operations at this resort. NO CALL BACK FROM EITHER GENTLEMAN. Groupon However did contact me & compensated us for the terrible treatment & stay. Won't EVER do business with this resort!

GROUPON IS A STAND UP CUSTOMER SERVICE BASED COMPANY! THANK-YOU GROUPON!!!!

• Stayed October 2012

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We just got back from a second short ski trip to Schuss. We did not stay on the property, but we had such a wonderful experience at the ski resort and ski school I needed to leave a note for others. schuss is fairly small, smaller than Boyne Mountain which is not far away. However, it was less expensive, a lot more convenient, and the staff and instructors could not have been nicer or more helpful. We had 17, 16, 15, 13, and 7 year olds with us, one expert snow boarder and one who had never been on skiis and everything in between. We had a great time. We signed up for ski school on line the night before, and the fee included the rental. THen, when we got to the resort, we parked literally 150 feet from the rental shop - no long-haul with kids and junk in tow. Everything was close and easy, and the staff was extremely helpful. By the end of 2 days, the beginner was trying the black diamond hills, and our 7 year old was skiing with us on all of the green slopes. We had a blast, the weather was great, everything was super organized, clean and easy to figure out. The service in the restaurant was great- but the food was just OK, maybe a little more creativity in the kitchen, but overall this was perfect. So covenient. For beginner/intermediate skiers, this is the place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

way to go shanty creek, wait till last min to cancel a sold out event due to NOT puchasing INSURANCE for the race!! I was planning on staying there with some friends, and now we will spend our money else where. Just lost out trust, and loyalty. Plan ahead for everything, they should know that by now. I hope they a good reason for not purchasing the insurance, becuase I would bet they would have made lots of revenue that weekend. I do belive our friends had trouble getting a room up there. For now on just make sure that you call before leaving, you never know what they may have forgotten.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

My husband and I went up for a weekend and went to the Lakeview dinning room we walked to the host stand to see a dessert display that was WOW. I had the duck very nice! and my husband had the steak, he was happy to have a place in the area that serves steaks with options of diffrent steaks and diffrent preperations you can choose from. Dessert we shared the scottish tart and the chocolate cake both a chocolate lovers dream. The service is ok but the food makes up for it we will be back. The remodel of the summit we heard about but did not give it justice it is a new hotel. We loved it

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

My first exposure via the website was okay. The website is nice but it fails to describe what each room entails, which would be helpful in booking rooms. Then, I went through the entire booking process and when I pressed confirm/buy, it said there was an error and told me to call the resort. So this option was totally worthless and a waste of time.

Check-in went well and the lady was very nice. Skiing was nice but Summit Mountain's chairs are extremely slow and old. It was my first time at this resort so after going to Schuss, I realize that Schuss is the place to ski and Summit is pretty much just for the view and hotel.

Dinner at Lakeview Restaurant, which is billed as their upscale, flagship restaurant, on New Year's Eve was a disaster to say the least. We had a reservation at 9pm and arrived promptly, only to be ignored by the host for 15 minutes. The least he could have done was acknowledge our presence and explain what was going on. Apparently they were not prepared for the rush of NYE, even though numerous employees told us that it was this busy every year. If you know it is going to be busy, then be prepared!! Don't use it as an excuse. We were finally seated all the way at the edge of the restaurant by the hallway, despite numerous empty tables in the middle by the windows overlooking Lake Bellaire. The entire dinner, there were kids running around screaming and parents running around screaming at their screaming kids. This was supposed to be a romantic dinner, and claiming this restaurant as upscale was deceptive. The dinner service was awful. The first thing the waitress said to us was, "I hope you're not in a hurry, because we are so busy because of New Year's Eve. It is like this every year". Again, be prepared for the rush. Even though we didn't mind the extra time it was taking, the kids screaming didn't help, nor did the 15 minutes it took to bring a simply glass of wine. Since she warned us that it was so busy, apparently the waitress decided she didn't need to check up on us, or even ask how the food was (it was not good). The only thing that she did right was finally ask us, at the end of the meal, how things were, so we complained and she took the dinners off the bill. What an absolute disappointment after looking forward to a nice meal on NYE. We were so peeved that we skipped the party at Ivan's and went back to the room where we knew nothing else could be screwed up.

We checked out the next day and during checkout, not once did the person ask how my stay was or anything to that effect. They hold the resort out as an nice place. I expect better customer service. Especially considering I spent at least $1,000 in 2 days between lodging, food and skiing. At these rates, in Michigan, I expect more. I will not be returning and I will not recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
ann arbor, michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

We stayed at the Summit Lodge for a golf weekend. The location was excellent, since it was central to the various courses on the Shanty Creek property. Since the lodge building is obviously not new, I expected the rooms to be a bit dated. But I was pleasantly surprised to find they were renovated and very comfortable. The hotel photos are very accurate. We had a large room with two queen beds. They were extremely comfortable mattresses and nice linens. Accommodations included a flat screen HD television, coffee pot, and wireless Internet access. Our room had a wide balcony overlooking beautiful views of Lake Bellaire. There was a table and chairs so that you could sit outside.

The lodge also offers a lovely restaurant with huge windows looking down on the lake. Unfortunately, we found the food to be very mediocre for what we paid. We ate breakfast two mornings and ordered off the menu. A standard egg, bacon, potato and toast plate ran about $12. Juice and coffee were extra. I ordered grapefruit juice and got some kind of Hi-C drink. I have better breakfast at the local diner for less than half the price. On Sunday, we paid $18 for the brunch. A chef cooked omelets to order, and they were good. There was also an assortment of pastries, fruit, sausage, and potatoes. On Saturday night we ate dinner in the restaurant. Again, it did not begin to meet expectations for the price point. My pasta dish was under seasoned, bordering on bland. The wine selection is just so-so.

In summary -- the hotel rooms live up to promotions for the recent renovation. I'm not sure what they are charging just for the room. Our golf package was $350, and included three rounds of golf, two nights lodging, and one dinner. The restaurant looks nice and includes a very nice small bar. But the food was disappointing across the board.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Swartz Creek, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2008

My husband and I stayed 1 night in March '08. It was late in the ski season so not many people were there. We were going up for a romatic weekend so when we saw that the parking lot was nearly empty we were happy. Upon arrival check in was very easy. The room looked great as it had been recently remodeled. Everything was great until we realized that we had an adjoining room that had a 1 1/2 inch gap at the bottom of the door. Talk about lack of privacy. At first we thought no big deal there probably isn't anyone in that room since there didn't seem to be many people staying at that time of year. Boy were we wrong! We were staying next to the loud family of 4. It was horrible because they were so loud. We should have asked to switch rooms but we were already settled. The only way we could get away from the loud family was to spend some time in the shower. I have to say the large tile shower is great. The water was hot and they provide Bath and Body Works shampoo/conditioner. On the upside the balcony was great...if you don't mind that every balcony is connected. But the view is AWESOME!

We ate dinner at the bar in the lobby. Service was slow at first but then the bartender started waiting on us and he was great. Food was good enough. Bartender was great, he gave us the drinks that the waitress ordered by accident.

Overall I would go back but I would NOT stay in an adjoining room. I'm sure this resort was a very posh place to stay back in it's prime and they are trying very hard to bringing it back up to the standards that people expect today. Would probably be great for a ski weekend with friends.

• Liked — Newly remodled
  • Disliked — The adjoining room factor
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Schuss Village-Shanty Creek Resorts? Share your experiences!