“Broght the family and will beback this summer!” 5 of 5 stars

Beaver Island, MI
Improve this listing
Activities: City walk sightseeing, Dining
More attraction details
Owner description: This historical site of 19th-century Mormon followers is now a quiet, quaint attraction.
Frankfort, Illinois, United States
16 attraction reviews
“Broght the family and will beback this summer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

LOVED this place. I lived in Michigan for 20 years and wish I had done this sooner! The beaches are pristine, the people couldn't be friendlier! The sherriff actually gave us a tour! There is actually a decent night scene for adults and the sightseeing is something out of this world!

Visited June 2013

Petoskey, Michigan
14 attraction reviews
“Another world.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I visit this island as often as I can.

This is not a touristy island, but a place where people live, work and play. Wonderful people, a great school, and interesting things to see. Don't miss the toy museum. Enjoy the walk along the harbor to the light house. Prowl the hardware store, Enjoy the Strange museum and learn about the only King in the USA. Don't expect the usual tourist shops, this a working island. It is not Mackinac Island. But it has its own charm. Rent a car or bicycle and enjoy.

Visited September 2012
Petoskey, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
“Labor Day getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This past Labor day was my first trip to Beaver Island. I was pleasantly surprised by how small the crowds were for a holiday. We had no problem walking into restaurants with no reservations. The only trouble we had was renting a car (all gone for the weekend). However, we rented bikes and really enjoyed the ride while feeling like we covered a lot of ground and sight seeing.

Visited September 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
22 attraction reviews
“Long Ferry Ride, Wonderful Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Beaver Island is about a two hour ferry ride from the Michigan mainland. The ferry is located in Charlevoix, MI., a wonderful vacation in itself. We have vacationed in this area for more than 20 years, but have never taken the Beaver Island ferry until this year because it is somewhat expensive and an all day affair. The cost is about $54 round trip for adults. We went to visit for only one day, but some passengers stay on the island overnight.

On the day we went, the weather was beautiful and the Lake Michigan water was calm. This made the 2 hour trip across the water pleasant for us. Lake Michigan can get very rough at times, so if you are going to visit the island, via the ferry, be sure to take that into account. You may want to take some medication for motion sickness, if you are susceptible to that.

The ferry was very adequate for the journey. It was clean and had plenty of seating for passengers. On one level, it looked like the seats were from an airline because they had the same cushy seats and drop tables. There were vending machines for snacks but no other food service so I would pack your own lunch if you will be hungry on the trip.

When you arrive at the island, you are in a tranquil bay. About two blocks from the dock, is a wonderful sandy, beach with play ground equipment. The water here, is shallow. You can walk out very far without the water getting higher than your thighs. Eventually, you will get to deeper water if you want to swim, but out there the water is much colder. For myself, I loved the fact that my feet were surrounded by minnows. Every time I stopped walking, the fish would come to investigate the matter. It is not often that I have had that kind of experience, small fish everywhere. I'm talking about hundreds of small fish! I don't know if it was just the day we were there or if this is always the situation. We visited at the end of August.

We also took a tour of the island which was very informative and gave us alot of history about the region. The tour took 1 1/2 hours and was in an air conditioned van. A college history professor gave the tour and we very much enjoyed his manner. There are a few restaurants were you can eat lunch and a few souvenir shops. Mostly, the island is undeveloped by todays standards for tourist areas.

If I ever return to this island, it will be to go to that wonderful, sandy beach with all of the fish! I hope to take my grandchildren here because I know they would enjoy it.

Visited August 2012
Brighton, Michigan
“Quite getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We flew over from Charlivoix on island airways very friendly we changed flight times both there and back and they had no problems with it. Never flew in that small of a plane easy in and out really cool to see the island as you fly in. The island is a lot bigger than the maps look. We road our bikes for hours and could only see the st James side of it. Go rent a geo tracker from beaver island marina it was a great deal and allowed us to see the whole island. I have to mention Dalwhinnie Bakery we had breakfast here every day after the daddy franks Disaster. Also took a couple of sandwiches out for a picnic they were excellent and reasonably priced. Beaver island is no mackinaw island there aren't many paved roads out side of town and the cars are moving pretty fast. I'm glad we never took kids there to ride bikes. They really need a Friendlier visitor center only maps available were of the town they wanted five bucks for a island map. I went to the library and printed one for 10 cents

Visited August 2012